Residency rate question

mmpadp

I've been hearing several comments about residency rates. I haven't been able to find any info on these rates. Can anyone tell me about residency rates? Where, when and to whom they are offered?

Residency rates are offered to attract people from certain areas to certain sailings. They are not offered on every cruise or in every category.

On RCCL, you can check to see if there is a residency rate offered for your cruise by doing a mock reservation. On the first page of the reservation, make sure to enter your state. When you go to the pages where you can select your cabin category, if there is a residency rate available for your state in a certain category, there will be a 2nd price listed below the regular price and highlighted in red.

It will look similiar to this:

Standard Rate 1st or 2nd Guest Stateroom Total

*$709.00 USD *$ 1,418.00 USD

Special Pricing

Residency Rate 1st or 2nd Guest Stateroom Total

*$609.00 USD *$1,218.00 USD

I haven't received a residency rate since my Princess cruise. It is great being over 55, because that senior rate seems to be offered on every cruise we have been on.

I've gotten extremely lucky.:D On my Jewel of the Seas cruise, I got 3 separate residency discounts. On my Rhapsody cruise, I didn't get one as I was upgraded to an Owner's Suite and was already paying a lot less than the going rate for that, but my best friend in an inside got one. And on her cruise last week she was able to upgrade to a promenade room for less than an inside cabin due to a residency rate. Of course on my upcoming Serenade cruise, due to a Pennsylvania residency discount we are now in a Grand Suite for less than we were paying for our junior suite (helps to have people from 3 different states on the reservation - 3 times the opportunity for residency discounts:D).

Archived