power chair on plane

raisincainus

DW uses a power chair, kind of like the hover around, has any one ever been able to get them on a plane? She wants it on the cruise so she can have her independence.

Yes, you can take your power chair on the plane. Just make sure that you do these things:

1. inform the airline that you're bringing it. Ask what kind of batteries they allow, and make sure that's what you have on your chair.

2. You won't be able to actually ride it on the plane -- it'll be stowed down below. But you can ride it up to the gate, or at least to the ticket counter, and if you need to, transfer to a manual collapsing wheelchair, and your power chair will be stowed down below.

3. Be prepared to remove from your chair any "moving parts" -- basket, bag, etc., anything that might be damaged in transit, and take those on the plane with you. (They won't count as a carry-on; you'll still be able to have your regular carry-on).

I do hope that you've reserved a handicap-accessible cabin for your cruise? Only the smallest scooters will fit through the door of a regular cabin, and most cruise lines now will not let you park your chair in the hall, or in other public areas. That never was a good plan anyway, as it made it difficult for others to get through the halls, and chairs parked by elevators became "jungle gyms" for kids, and got broken often!

Another option is to leave your power chair at home, and rent one through the cruise line and whichever company(s) they do business with, that provide medical equipment. That way, the chair will be in your cabin when you get on the ship, and you simply leave it there at the end of your cruise. You won't hve the hassle of having to deal with getting it safely on/off the plane and through the airport, and won't have to worry about how to get from the airport to the cruise ship (most of those power chairs won't be accommodated in a regular cab, for example; you'd have to find wheelchair-accessible transportation which isn't always easy or available!)

Uppitycats said everything I would say except I would recommend strongly,... that you must have an accessible cabin. Some of the rental equipment companies tell you that their scooters will fit thru a regular cabin door (which is true) but that is not the whole story. If you need to move around your cabin (which you will) there is no room for the scooter or electric wheelchair. Plus there is a step into the very small bathroom not to mention how you would use the very small shower. An accessible cabin has a large bathroom with a roll into shower with a pull down bath seat, bars around the toilet and no step.

I am an amputee so I need my own folding wheelchair at night when my prothesis is off, but during the day I use an electric scooter, which I rent from Carevacations.com

1-877-478-7827. (I have used they for several years) They rent all sorts of medical equipement at every US port including electric scooters/wheelchairs. Your rental equipement will be in your cabin when you arrive (or shortly thereafter) and you leave it there when you leave the ship. No worry about how the airlines abuse your equipment (I leave my electric scooter at home)

When you call the company they will ask you question about your wife's height and weight and special needs so that they can provide the correct equipment.

As far as air travel, a folding wheelchair (not a transport chair that has small wheels) is the best at the airport and on the plane...I am always the first on the plane, and the last off. If there is room in the cabin closet sometimes they put my chair there, if not it is 'gate checked' (they take it to the luggage hold after I get on the plane) I always take the foot/leg supports and my gel cushion with me on the plane. Make sure your name is on the chair in several places ...they only put one tag on the arm of the chiar.

I just returned from a cruise on the Coral Princess and I am booked on the Grand Princess for next Feb 2010. That is the only problem needing an accessible cabin...you must book early...there are so few of them on each ship.

I am hoping that the cruise lines would put more accessible cabins on their newer ships, seems like more people need them now. (some reasons are very visible and others are not, but in any case accessible cabins make travel possible for many people)

Enjoy your cruise...it is the best way to travel.

Arlene

I agree, you don't say but I would assume you have booked an HC cabin, if not change it immediately if you can still get one If not change your date or ship so you can.

Be aware that IF there is any damage to the chair the airline is fully responsible to get yours fully fixed or replaced, no liability limits on medical equipment. and they must rent you one for your trip if need be as well. BUT be sure you take pictures of the chair right before you turn it over to them with a newspaper date clearly visible and the check in desk and personnel in the pic if you can manage it. That establishes that it was in good condition when you boarded. Take anything lose you can off the chair and take that with you in the cabin as well. getting a cover for your chair is also a good idea.

Archived