Rome Airport Transfers - EARLY departure

We are booked on a flt out of FCO Sat May 16 at 06:30 (that's AM :eek:). I assume we have to get to the airport 2 hours prior. Any advice for airport transfers that early? I noticed one shuttle charges addl 15 Euro for before 07:00. Looks like the train to the airport doesn't run until 6:00 AM.

We're on Celebrity Solstice that docks in Civitavecchia Fri AM. If we stay in Rome Fri night, we can probably leave our luggage there while we tour on our own all day Friday.

If we stay at the airport Fri night, what should we do with our luggage? I read somewhere that there are lockers at the train station, but it's cumbersome to wait in line and have all your bags searched before they accept them.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Debbi

HI

We are cruising with you on May 4. We have stayed at the Hilton Rome airport twice when we were leaving the next day. You can go direct from the ship to the hotel, leave your luggage and take a shuttle bus into Rome for the day. The next morning you'll just have to walk across the ramp from the hotel to the airport.

Someone posted that the Hilton had some good rates. Check it out.

Lorraine

what about the airport Hilton? They are right next to the airport, no shuttle needed, plus they have a free shuttle into Rome, you could drop your lugguage off there in the morning, visit rome , and then check in later on.

The rooms are $200. I just thought that's steep considering we will probably only be there for maybe 7 hrs. Also, I was planning to take the train from port to Rome, and it looks like the FCO train is a different ticket. The train from port goes to Rome, then we'd have to take a 35 min train to the airport to leave our bags then take the train back (another 35 min ride), not to mention another 20 euros for 2 people to get back to Rome; and then another 20 euros to get back at night. Also, losing an hour on a day visit to Rome is not looking very attractive to me right now.

Do you think it would be better to stay in Rome near all the sights and pay the 55 euro after-hours shuttle rate at 3:45am?

UNLESS - do you know if the FCO train to Rome is a daily pass rather than 9.50 euros in each direction? :confused:

Get daily pass and all of Rome is yours metro and local trains for less than 8 euro

it is actually

B.I.G. € 4.00. Daily ticket, valid for unlimited metro, bus, and train travel within Rome. (as far out as Civitavecchia)

The rooms are $200. I just thought that's steep considering we will probably only be there for maybe 7 hrs. Also, I was planning to take the train from port to Rome, and it looks like the FCO train is a different ticket. The train from port goes to Rome, then we'd have to take a 35 min train to the airport to leave our bags then take the train back (another 35 min ride), not to mention another 20 euros for 2 people to get back to Rome; and then another 20 euros to get back at night. Also, losing an hour on a day visit to Rome is not looking very attractive to me right now.

Do you think it would be better to stay in Rome near all the sights and pay the 55 euro after-hours shuttle rate at 3:45am?

UNLESS - do you know if the FCO train to Rome is a daily pass rather than 9.50 euros in each direction? :confused:

check with a travel agent, when we went last year even though we didn't stay there some people on our cruise did and the travel agent got them rooms for like $125.00 a night USD

Actually, it is a BIRG ticket and it is 9 euros/pp/rt. All day pass into Rome from Civitavecchia, includes metro and buses, but my understanding is that it does not include FCO. If you are not returning, it is only 4.5 E pp.

You can take the train from the port to Termini, check your bags right there, spend the whole day and even have dinner, then retrieve your bags and take the Leonardo Express to FCO that evening. I REALLY recommend staying close to the airport for those early AM flights--I took that tip from these boards in Venice and was so glad I did.

Keep checking those Hilton rates--I bet they come down quite a bit.

Cathy

Thanks Cathy,

I read that storing luggage at Termini is a pain because of security these days. One post said they open up all your luggage while everybody else is standing there waiting in line. Didn't sound very appealing to me.

Have you actually done it?

Debbi

No, but we walked right by it getting off the train and there were no huge lines--longer lines for the loo! (For which, BTW, you need some pocket change). I'm sure someone here has done it though, and can give you more info. We just overnighted in Civitavecchia and took the train in both days.

Cathy

Anyone know if they allow luggage on their free shuttle into/out of Rome? No biggie to take the train instead.

Also if we book 2 triples instead of 3 double rooms if they will provide a cot since it looks like twin beds. Bottom line if you book a room that sleeps 3 then the hotel will provide beds for 3, right? :o

Thanks

The Hilton has a free shuttle to downtown Rome, so once you drop your bags you get back to Rome for some sightseeing.

Thanks. You sold me. You're right about the free shuttle. It runs every couple of hours. I didn't see that before.

I went ahead and booked Hilton. I was surprised that the $200 price on Expedia was for ONE person! They wanted another $74 for the 2nd person, so I booked on Orbitz.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Debbi

Archived