Access to a microwave on Quest?

Moose Tracks

Has anyone ever had a need for a microwave on Quest? I use one of those bean filled heat wraps on my knees after a day of walking, but you need a microwave. Didn't know if the cabin stewards had one in their work area. If not, I'll have to take my heating pad.

Lynn

I searched our whole cabin for plug sockets and the only ones are by the desk/vanity mirror. There were a few different types (of voltages and pins), but I had various adaptors and managed to use a few at the same time for charging batteries/laptop etc. You would definitely need to bring an extension if you wanted it to reach to a bed etc.

Moose tracks, I did see a microwave in the Mosaic Cafe as part of their set-up on Deck 5 midship. I am sure they would gladly heat your wrap as the staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Linda :)

Lynn,

These microwavable heat pads for your knees sound great. What brand do you use and where do you get them?

Kathy

I've bought different sized ones over a number of years at local home or craft shows. Seem to just be made by a cottage industry. I remember they had a phone number for purchasing extras, but I didn't keep the information. I found the website of a company in the U.S. that sells something similar...

http://www.mainewarmers.com/

There are several websites that give instructions on making your own. Here's an example of one...

http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

The label on the original ones I bought show them as being filled with whole oats and I find they stay warm longer than the newer ones that are filled with a combination of beans, flax and rice. The last one I bought is for your hands...shaped like a thumbless mitt....so nice to slip your hands in on a chilly night. The covers are made of cotton flannel.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Kathy...I've just realized you're on our May 16th Azamara sailing! If I decide to take one of the microwable pads I'll show it to you. The only thing that's putting me off traveling with it is that they weigh quite a bit for their size. See you on Quest.

Lynn

http://www.mainewarmers.com/

There are several websites that give instructions on making your own. Here's an example of one...

http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

Do these feel heavy on your tender body parts???

I have stage 4 endometriosis and my abdomen is sensitive to heavy pressure placed on it..

a heating pad works fine..but I;m always searching for other options

Thanks

K.

Have you ever tried Thermacare wraps? You can get them at most drugstores. They are adhesive wraps much like oversized band-aids. Once you open the wrapper they get warm and stay heated for 8 hours! They come in different sizes for different areas - abdomen, knees, back, etc. We have found them to be a godsend and they don't weigh much. Plus, you can sleep with them and since they stick on, you can toss and turn all you want!

Do these feel heavy on your tender body parts???

K.

K...That is one problem...they are heavier than a heating pad. My mother bought one that's made in three segments so that it bends across your shoulders and the back of your neck. She found it too heavy (it was about 3 pounds). We went back to the show where we bought it and exchanged it for a smaller one that she puts on one shoulder at a time. I don't think they would be suitable for you. If you were to make your own you could of course make it any weigh you wanted by putting less filling in it, but then I don't think it would probably hold the heat as long. I think you'd probably be better using the heating pad as for less weight it will warm a larger area than a smaller microwavable one.

Lynn

Have you ever tried Thermacare wraps? You can get them at most drugstores. They are adhesive wraps much like oversized band-aids. Once you open the wrapper they get warm and stay heated for 8 hours! They come in different sizes for different areas - abdomen, knees, back, etc. We have found them to be a godsend and they don't weigh much. Plus, you can sleep with them and since they stick on, you can toss and turn all you want!

This is what I love about Cruise Critic....everyone is always so helpful.

Yes....I love those Thermacare wraps. I wear one on my lower back when I golf in colder weather. For my knees, I just need some heat on them for about 20 minutes at the end of the day so the long lasting Thermacares are pretty expensive. I found a website that sold a similar idea (although I don't know if it the same chemical reaction) for small warmers that you wear on the bottom of your feet to keep them warm in boots. It lasted for about 6 hours and the website said if you only wore it for say 1 hour you could store it in a film canister and the heat would reactivate when you removed it and stay warm for the remaining 5 hours. Going to try doing the same thing with a Thermacare wrap (although it obviously won't fit in a film canister);).

Lynn

Lynn.

Looking forward to seeing you on the ship. I currently use Thermacare for knees on an as needed basis so will be packing some for the trip. With the hills and steps in Italy, they may be needed more than usual (smile)...and am not sure if I can find them in the local pharmacies.

I appreciate your suggestions and the links.

Kathy

about the Thermacare

do they stink like icy hot?

I would use them on the plane ride and I don't want my fellow passengers to throw me out of the plane. :)

I have several avenues of pain...muscle, adhesion/scar tissue and nerve entrapment

BUT if I can use these to help with one avenue, it allows my coping mechanisms to deal with the others better

I have never noticed any smell to Thermacare. They look like oversize fabric bandaids with charcoal type heat tablets sandwiched in the layers. They are relatively light and easy to put on and keep on. If you are wearing knee thermacare wraps, they should fit easily under most slacks/jeans unless you are wearing something really skintight or clingy.

about the Thermacare

do they stink like icy hot?

I would use them on the plane ride and I don't want my fellow passengers to throw me out of the plane. :)

I have several avenues of pain...muscle, adhesion/scar tissue and nerve entrapment

BUT if I can use these to help with one avenue, it allows my coping mechanisms to deal with the others better

Agree with Kathy. No odour with Thermacares. No one will know you're wearing it. They really do soothe aching joints. They'll work great for you on the airplane. They do have an adhesive strip to hold them in place. I think some people have reactions to tape so be sure to give one a test run before your trip.

Lynn

Lynn.

Looking forward to seeing you on the ship. I currently use Thermacare for knees on an as needed basis so will be packing some for the trip. With the hills and steps in Italy, they may be needed more than usual (smile)...and am not sure if I can find them in the local pharmacies.

I appreciate your suggestions and the links.

Kathy

Five weeks today we'll be sailing!:D I think I'll wear the Thermacares on my knees on the plane. The flight is the one thing I'm dreading. The old knees don't take well to inactivity. Hopefully the heat will keep them happy.

See you in Civitavecchia!

Lynn

Archived