Belize - Port or stay on ship?

ptree93

We are considering staying on the ship in Belize (doing snorkeling and zipline in other ports) but are wondering if there is anything for the kids to do on the ship while in port or will they be bored? Kids are pre-teen and teenage.

We are considering staying on the ship in Belize (doing snorkeling and zipline in other ports) but are wondering if there is anything for the kids to do on the ship while in port or will they be bored? Kids are pre-teen and teenage.

This is not a get off and wander around town kinda port, but there is a small shopping complex that is safe. There are a couple of bars/restaurants and usually a band playing.

This is a tender port with fun little tender boats, so if you are bored, go ahead and take a ride into port and support the local economy. I would go just for lunch and a drink at the wet lizard.:)

OMG do NOT stay on the ship here. Google cave-tubing.com and sign up!!!

The caves are big limestone caves, very safe, not at all scary, no bats or anything. The river is very slow moving, would be fine for kids, I'd take my grand daughter who is 8 in a heartbeat.

The guys at cave-tubing carried our tubes for us during the hike, they hooked us together, with 4 people per one guide, pulling our tubes through the caves, it was one of my favorite excursions ever.

Really consider this one, it's awesome.

I agree I would not go wandering alone on this island, but the port shops were fine, I never felt threatened and there is some very nice stuff in the wood carving, my friend got his neighbor a new hand carved cane, and it was beautiful. Also they had walking sticks and stuff. Very nice.

Cheers, Carole

This is one of the Best Ports - Do go Cave Tubing or a Sight seeing trip of some kind.

Belize is a place you have to see, but you have to get out of the main port area to really see it!!

We took a tour to the ruins and really enjoyed it...I think the kids would too. We used belizeexcursions.com and went to Lamanai but that might be too long...consider a shorter tour so that they can see ... and maybe climb ... these fabulous examples of ancient history.

I would encourage you to see this part of Belize. It was very interesting.You can come back early and hang out at the ship if you take a shorter tour.

Regarding cave tubing...how cold is the water? I'm a baby when it comes to cold water... will be there in 2 weeks.

We were there in November. The water felt pretty warm when we first got in but after floating in it for 45 minutes or so it definately cools you off.

You can also try one of the Cave Tubing/Zipline/Plastic Ball Rolling down the hill adventures at Jaguar Paw. My DW and I stayed near Jaguar Paw for a week in Belize and it was our favorite vacation ever!!! Would definitely go cave tubing on the Caves Branch River. Also, the Belize Zoo is absolutely worth a visit. I think you can combine tubing at the zoo through Jaguar Paw.

Definitely DON'T just stay on the ship. Like the previous posters have recommended, do a cave-tubing excursion. Your kids will be forever grateful to you! Book independently, if you research you will find several reputable companies. We did X-tream cave tubing co. had an unforgettable time. I was 59 at the time, can't swim, but felt perfectly safe the whole time. By the way, the guides always like to refer to the water temp. as "refreshing"!

Archived