Livorno-Florence-Pisa back to Livorno

I hope someone can help. If I go via train from Livorno to Florence then to Pisa then back to Livorno - do I have to buy three seperate train tickets? Or can I buy a round trip Livorno/Florence and make a stop on the way back in Pisa on that round trip ticket??

G.B.:)

You ask for a ticket to Florence (andata e riturno) which is the equivilant to a round trip. You will get one ticket for each direction. Only validate one until you are ready to return. Get off at Pisa and do your thing. Just get back on the next train (except IC or ES) and you are good to go. Do not validate the ticket again in Pisa.

Summer Beaches -

We also would like to do the same by train, but other posters say to either do Pisa or Florence, as there is not enough time. Can you provide some details of your plan? It's our first trip to these cities, so not sure if we should do it on our own or find a tour. Any tips you can provide, much appreciated.

Our group of 4 is going to try to do both cities.

We're going to get off the ship as soon as possible and get to the Central train station in Livorno and head to Florence, hoping to catch the 8:11 train, arriving at 9:33. We'll explore the city a little bit until 12:00.

We just purchased Uffizi entrance tickets for Noon from the official website (http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/Uffizi/) and will be visiting there for an hour or two. We'll explore a little more of the city before catching the train at 3:11 or 3:43 to head back toward Pisa, arriving at 4:30.

It's about 15 minutes from Pisa to Livorno, so we'll try to get to the tower area, take pictures, return within an hour or two and at the latest, catch the 6:30 train, arriving at 6:50 in Livorno, giving us over an hour to get back to the ship before it departs at 8:00. I've heard from several people that you can visit the tower area of Pisa within an hour.

The trenitalia website is invaluable for calculating train schedules and costs between various cities.

The debate about time is a good debate. There are two ways to look at the situation. If you suffer from the "If its Tuesday it Must be Belgium Syndrome" than you can do both places. I use this syndrome to describe fellow tourists who want to see as much as possible in as short a period of time so they can say they have been there! However, the truth is they are so busy rushing from place to place they really see very little of anything (they are moving so fast they do not know or care how much they miss). If you go to Florence on your own, the earliest you can get into Florence is about 9:30...and this assumes you can get to the Livorno train station by around 7:45 (not easy to do). If you wanted to get to Pisa by 3:30 (and this is pushing things) you would have to leave Florence by 2:30 which means you would have to head to the train station before 2. This means that, at best, you would have 4 hours to walk around Florence. Having been to Florence 4 times as port days, and several times during extended hotel stays, we are again heading back for a 2 night stay next month. Why? Because despite more than 6 days exploring the city we have yet to dent its many treasures. Oh, and by the way, although it takes about 15 min from Pisa to Livorno, it can take a very long time to get from the Livorno train station to your ship. Depending how many (and the size) of ships in Livorno, there will be a demand for taxis to get back to the ship. This is especially true in the late afternoon, when there are usually only a few taxis waiting at the Livorno train station. Picture 200 cruise ship passengers, coming off a train, and all trying to get into 4 or 5 taxis. My advice is to allow yourself at least an hour (we generally like 1 1/2 hours) to get to the ship from the Livorno station. Or course there are always plenty of taxis when you have time...and a shortage of taxis when you are in a hurry (Hank's Law).

Hank

Hello Hank:

I have been watching your many helpful posts, and have great respect for your perspective, I would be interested to know your view on whether to go with the ship transfer to and from Florence, or whether to do it on our own via train. We will be there in June, ship set to dock at 7:am departure at 8:00 pm. We do not intend to do a tour in Florence, preferring to explore on our own. The ship transfer is around $95.00 USD pp.

We have the same question regarding our stop in Rome, where our arrival and departure times are the same.

We were leaning towards using the ship transfers to ensure we make it back on time, but the cost seems really high so we are reconsidering whether it is really necessary to go that route.

Any insight you have would be appreciated.

Caroline

imo, the only downside of doing it on your own by train is the dreaded "sciopero" (strike)! I know there is a website where you can check ahead of time for planned strikes but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Some years ago we were on a cruise that stopped in Civitavecchia and we also debated this point. Finally we decided to go with the ship's transfer. When we got to Rome we found out that there was a half day sciopero of metro, train and buses!

imo, the only downside of doing it on your own by train is the dreaded "sciopero" (strike)! I know there is a website where you can check ahead of time for planned strikes but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Some years ago we were on a cruise that stopped in Civitavecchia and we also debated this point. Finally we decided to go with the ship's transfer. When we got to Rome we found out that there was a half day sciopero of metro, train and buses!

I have found the Italian version that lists all the pending strikes to be quite reliable. Yes they do happen, but it is far from an everyday occurance. An when they do happen, it is usually very regional and very short lived.

Have a plan "B" for everything that you do in Italy.

Summer Beaches -

We also would like to do the same by train, but other posters say to either do Pisa or Florence, as there is not enough time. Can you provide some details of your plan? It's our first trip to these cities, so not sure if we should do it on our own or find a tour. Any tips you can provide, much appreciated.

Our plan is to get the train to Florence and depending on when we get there decide if we really want, or have time, to stop in Pisa on the return. I have been to both Florence and Pisa twice, but the lady I am traveling with has not. We are on NCL Jade docking in Livorno April 24 and we do not dock until 8AM-leaving 8PM. In checking this site, http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php, I know we will be the only ship docked that day, so I hope that helps with the taxi service from the station on the return. Like it was mentioned before you need to have a "plan B". G.B.

Hello Hank:

I have been watching your many helpful posts, and have great respect for your perspective, I would be interested to know your view on whether to go with the ship transfer to and from Florence, or whether to do it on our own via train. We will be there in June, ship set to dock at 7:am departure at 8:00 pm. We do not intend to do a tour in Florence, preferring to explore on our own. The ship transfer is around $95.00 USD pp.

We have the same question regarding our stop in Rome, where our arrival and departure times are the same.

We were leaning towards using the ship transfers to ensure we make it back on time, but the cost seems really high so we are reconsidering whether it is really necessary to go that route.

Any insight you have would be appreciated.

Caroline

Caroline,

I have been facing the exact same question! Book the "Florence on Your Own" with the cruise line or deal with the stress of taxi or bus to the train station and back. My main concern is the ride back of course. Anyone with personal experience I would love to hear suggestions. Thanks.

Sarah

Archived