Carnival Handicap rooms?

OK I am going on a small group cruise in October and since I cannot find a roommate, I decided to room with another person who is also going with the group

As far as I know she has a handicapped room reserved (she needs it) so I will be transferring my deposit to her room - I cant seem to find anything about Carnival Handicap rooms

Are they laid out the same as the regualr rooms. Will it still have the sofa

We will be on Carnival Miracle and a balcony room.

Thanks for information or if anyone can guide me where to either find pics or information I would appreciate it

OK I am going on a small group cruise in October and since I cannot find a roommate, I decided to room with another person who is also going with the group

As far as I know she has a handicapped room reserved (she needs it) so I will be transferring my deposit to her room - I cant seem to find anything about Carnival Handicap rooms

Are they laid out the same as the regualr rooms. Will it still have the sofa

We will be on Carnival Miracle and a balcony room.

Thanks for information or if anyone can guide me where to either find pics or information I would appreciate it

If you know the cabin number, someone here likely will have pictures or more information about the room,

but in general, the room will be significantly larger than a regular cabin room of the same class. It will have a shower (rather than a tub), with a hand-held shower head. The one I was in had a drop-down shower chair, and a very large shower area. There won't be any steps up or over into the bathroom (so the person in a wheelchair can wheel in easily).

There will be ramps on and off the balcony -- but generally the doors are very heavy, so your friend may not be able to open that door herself. As far as a couch -- that will depend on what cabin you'll be in. Some of the handicap-accessible cabins are large enough to have a couch, others don't. If your friend is in a wheelchair she may find the couch more in her way than useful, though.

I think you'll appreciate the increased space, and only "suffer" minor inconvenience being non-disabled. Like, maybe you won't be able to sit on the sofa... :)

Thanks for the quick reply Uppity

I have only been on Carnival one other time and I had an inside room so there was no tub and the shower already had the handheld showerhead (which is fine since that is what I have at home). There was no sofa in the inside room so I guess I wont be missing it since I am not used to it. I am looking forward to the balcony tho I want to relax and watch the waves :D

I will have to find out if she has her cabin ## already or not.

Yes, it would be important to know the bed arrangement. Some only have a queen bed, some have twins. Since I travel with my husband, the queen bed is suitable, but if this person is not a close friend, you may not want to share a bed with her! :D She could find out if the room could be arranged to have two beds..but that would compromise the space, too.

Well come to find out she does not have a handicapped room booked.

My mistake.

The travel agent said the room steward would park her scooter nearby for night time.

This girl can barely walk so I hope its not parked too far away.

Thanks again for your insight.

Well come to find out she does not have a handicapped room booked.

My mistake.

The travel agent said the room steward would park her scooter nearby for night time.

This girl can barely walk so I hope its not parked too far away.

Thanks again for your insight.

Good luck with having the scooter "parked nearby". Two issues there: most of the cruise lines don't want to do this anymore, as they're always in the way, and "nearby" can be at the nearest elevator..which could be a LONG way away. And second, if they DO park it "nearby", it becomes a jungle gym for every passing kid..and some adults..and is at great risk to being broken, played with, moved, etc.

You may find yourself the "scooter fetcher" each day! :o

Your travel agent is misleading when telling you that the room steward will find a place to park for the night. Most cruise lines have ceased to allow that because a wheelchair or scooter parked outside in the aisle can be a menace to another passenger ( particularly in a wheelchair) trying to get past. After a couple of law suits against cruise lines, most say that if you have a wheelchair or other mobility device it needs to be stored in your cabin at night.

If she can "barely walk" she should have booked an HC cabin because they are designed to provide what she needs to be safe and comfortable. Regular cabins have doors that are not wide enough for a wheelchair or scooter to pass through and very little extra room in the cabin for storing it.

Have her call the Guest sevices with Special Requirements number at 1-800-438-6744 ext 70025 and they will book her into a handicapped room. They do not allow scooter to be left outside the rooms for hazardous reasons. When are you going on your cruise because you may still be able to book a HC room since Carnival is the only ones that can book these after you talk with someone at Guest Services. I hope this helps. Please let us know what happens.

To add a bit to this .. different HC rooms have different sized doors. We had booked a HC room for my parents, then we had to measure the base of the scooter to see if it would fit through that particular door.

Other posters are correct when they say you can NOT leave the scooter in the hallway for the night. It has to be in your cabin.

Call and make the appropriate changes as soon as possible!

I also want to concur that no scooters left in halls is the rule and I WISH they would stop telling people they can do it.

Your friend NEEDS and HC cabin and better get it quickly, hopefully she can still get one.

Archived