I don't like sand and sun!

judyinar

Judy,

No, you're not an albino freak: I hate the heat and sun but still managed to thoroughlt enjoy the Caribbean. It's so beautiful there. Plus there is LOTS to do on ship and shore that doesn't require squeezing into a bathing suit.

Off on another seven day cruise in Paradise, sunblock in hand!

But please tell me I'm not making a mistake by taking a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean! I've been on only one other cruise 20 years ago with children, and now we're celebrating our 30th anniversary on the Radiance starting Jan.2...

I don't even want to go to Cabo Cay since I think it will be all beach stuff - right? I'm not even planning to take a swimsuit on the cruise. Is this heresy?

I'm really filled with anticipation and exitement over our cruise, but do others go who want only to shop at the ports and not enjoy the beaches? They sound so wonderful, but I'm 50-ish, fair, and fluffy, and they're not much fun for me.

Other than the above statements...I'm really a very positive person who finds much joy in living, and I know I'll have a great time!

I just wondered if others go on cruises hating the sun and the sand, too!

Judy

I hope that being 50ish, fluffy and fair aren't going to stop you from having fun at the beach if that's what you'd really like to do. :confused: Here's some news for you. You'll be like 75% of the rest of us. :D

Now if beaches are truly not your thing, shopping is a good alternative. Or sightseeing. There are endless possibilities. It's all up to you. Whatever you decide, have fun. :D

Beth (55 and doesn't care who knows it. ;) )

I'm not a huge beach person either. I cruised DCL Magic Eastern a couple years ago, and had a great time. In St. Maarten we took a tour of the island and shopped, and in St. Thomas we also took a tour and did some shopping. We did enjoy the private island, but there were things to do if you didn't want to bake. They had bikes and such for rent or borrowing (can't recall which).

Also on port days spa treatments are usually greatly reduced in price--you could indulge in one of those!

Anne

Judy,

I'm another Arkansan who does not enjoy soaking up the sun, and my husband is not a beach person at all. I do love to snorkel, tho, and plan to do that at least once on our Radiance cruise on Jan 2.

I think the best part of visiting the Caribbean (this will be our 3rd time) is the sight seeing. I love to go to new places. The island tour is a great way to hear about the area while the camera is busy clicking away photos. And shopping! Even though I don't plan to lay on any sand to soak up sun, the water and beaches are beautiful to look at.

One of my favorite things to do on the ship is find a comfy lounger on the shaded lower deck in the afternoon, and sip a drink while reading, listening to the sounds of the water and dozing off. Pure heaven!

Lisa

Hey, if you don't like the sun and the sand come stay at my place in the Great White North and I'll take your cruise. The problem here is that you'll still get a burn but it's called a wind frost burn - hurts just as bad as a sun burn!

Dan

Judy,

I know you will have a blast. I too am 51,fluffy and am very fair, I also take medications that restrict a lot of sun. I have been to Hawaii, the caribbean, South and Central America and Mexico. I loved all the tours, the shopping,relaxing and just having a wonderful time. I know exactly where you are coming from. I am not a bathing suit person anymore because of my weight but I wear something flattering with a real cute corver-up and I let myself have a good time. Life is so short and we have to embrace every moment while we can. Saturday(in two days) we are going on the SOS out of Tampa(our hometown) to the Cozumel,KeyWest,Costa Maya and Belize. My husband had open-heart surgery last April (at 48 yrs. old) and my 2 brother-in-laws and my dear sister all have cancer. Your darn right I am gonna have a great time. I never would have seen the places I have seen if if wasn't for these fabulous cruises. Happy Anniversary and Bon Voyage!!!!! Tell me how it was when you get back, I would

love to hear from you. God Bless You!!! Libby;) :) :p

Thanks to all for your replies - even the one to come visit in Canada - perhaps especially to that one. I might take you up on it! (But not until I go on this cruise...)

I too am of the opinion that life is way too short not to be enjoyed. My parents passed away last year, and my only sibling died last month, and I have truly grieved. I have a wonderful husband, daughter and granddaughter whom I cherish, of course. I am a thankfully a cancer survivor of many years. I know we all have our stories on this forum, and many are more tragic than mine. I have many blessings.

Having said all that (and why I shared that is beyond me), I CAN'T WAIT for a month from today when I'll set sail (I mean DEPART) on this fantastic voyage...I'll be one of many sipping on that rum drink in the shade of the palm tree or in the air-conditioned comfort of the lounges, reading when I want, and watching time drift away...fluffy fairness and all.

Judy

...I'll be one of many sipping on that rum drink in the shade of the palm tree or in the air-conditioned comfort of the lounges, reading when I want, and watching time drift away...fluffy fairness and all.

Judy

Do you mind if I call you our CC marshmallow... light complexion, sweet, fluffy, & soft to the touch? A beautiful garnishment for any occasion! :)

[font=Arial][color=navy]It's a cute association but, being from Michigan, I always think of Frosty the Snowman when I think of marshmallows. [/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=navy]We'd always make the most adorable decorations for the desserts during the holiday season using that sweet confection to fashion Frosty out of.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=navy]Thanks for allowing me to reminisce about a very pleasant childhood memory![/color][/font]

[img]http://www.heathersanimations.com/Snow/a13.gif[/img] [size=3][color=blue][b]Happy Holidays![/b][/color][/size]

Archived