Change in Travel Plans for Oasis - Change Ships or Dates?

Hope you can all help me with bit of a rough situation I find myself in.

My DS is graduating RPI next May. Based on the commencement dates for the past years I booked Oasis CL and an inside (for my DS friends) for the celebration for May 22, 2010 cruise. I booked this cruise early to take advance of early booking opportunity (platinum and frequent suite traveler). Well, we just learned that RPI decided to change it's entire academic schedule next year and move everything back (to be more in line with other colleges). :( Well, now commencement is May 29, 2010:mad:. So, it does not work with the cruise plans I made. I went to the website and for the CL two weeks later it will cost me over $2000 more, so I'm over 12K for just the CL. :(

I looked into other options and I can get the RS on Explorer for the same money (taking into account we live near Port Liberty and don't need to fly any where) for a 9 day cruise to Bermuda/caribbean for the timeframe I'm interested in (early June).

So, I get a longer cruise, larger cabin, but loose the Oasis wow factor I was so looking for. I really don't know what to do.:confused:

What would you all do? Looking for opinions for those fellow travelers also very excited about Oasis. Thanks, Laura

It would be a let down to settle for something less than the Oasis if that is what your (and family) heart is set on. Have you thought about holding off a few months until say September or October for your wonderful cruise? Prices are quite a bit lower during that time. Inbetween, take everyone out to dinner some evening and enjoy the company and talk about the Oasis or the Allure that would be in the near future. It is a shame to miss that "wow" factor and a shame to pay wuite a bit more than originally planned. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Hope all works out well for you and let us know what you decide.

Wow, that is awful! I agree it would be disappointing to have to give up the Oasis, when that is what you have your heart set on.

My suggestion? With bookings opening for Allure soon, and you having Platinum status, therefore early booking privileges, how about waiting a few more months and doing the Allure on her inaugural voyage? You may be able to secure a suite at a decent price, and you'll have the privilege of being part of the inaugural; or you could always sail a few weeks/or a month afterward, when the prices have dropped...just a suggestion!

Good luck with whatever you decide! I can sympathize with this conflict as my Oasis cruise in November 2010 is to commemorate my graduation from university.

jayanne, I was actually considering a modified version of your suggestion. I was thinking of doing the Explorer in June and Waiting for Allure (since I got the notice about early booking. If we can't afford the inaugural I would just sign up for the following May when my son will be in grad school by that time and there will be no need to worry about commencements. Definitely a consideration. I don't really want to give up the wow factor, but I want him to have grad party/trip close to graduation. Good suggestion, thanks. Laura

jayanne, I was actually considering a modified version of your suggestion. I was thinking of doing the Explorer in June and Waiting for Allure (since I got the notice about early booking. If we can't afford the inaugural I would just sign up for the following May when my son will be in grad school by that time and there will be no need to worry about commencements. Definitely a consideration. I don't really want to give up the wow factor, but I want him to have grad party/trip close to graduation. Good suggestion, thanks. Laura

No problem!! I'm glad that you have a couple of "back-up" plans to consider! Good luck with whatever you choose! I'm sure your son will be happy no matter where he goes, he's getting an all-expenses paid grad trip after all! ;):D

My son is graduating RPI next month, and HE"S not getting a cruise out of me! I wonder what made them change their dates. Another crazy concoction of Shirley Ann's, I guess! I was just checking all the posts on the Oasis board and found yours. What's his major? My son loves the school and I think is very sad to be leaving in May.....I very rarely find anyone else with a child there!

I'd wait for Allure too if Oasis dates didn't work out!

Hello OP,

Our daughter goes to Emma not far from RPI and she cant wait to go on the Oasis. My advise to you is, instead of a CL and an inside, why not get 2 balcony cabins. We usually get a large suite when we travel but have found that we tend to spend too much time entertaining in it and not enough time taking advantage of what the ship has to offer. A suite may be a waste on the Oasis because there is so much to do. (It took some convincing, but my husband finally realized that a suite does not make the vacation and instead we take multiple vacations a year and we have a family of 7!!).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived