NCL Dawn VS Caribbean Princess?

kimstoess

Not knowing any differences between the itineraries, a AB suite wins easily over a simple balcony on any cruise line or ship. Since I think all of the cruise lines are similar, I always book itinerary and then price. Price will reflect affordable value for my money, not necessarily how much.

We have narrowed our search to two cruises. 7 day NCL Dawn in a AB suite or 7 day Caribbean Princess in a balcony and inside cabin. These are both New England cruises. Which cruise would you choose?

Admittedly, I'm biased...saying that right up front. LOL

The Dawn is a beautiful ship, with an outstanding crew. Having an AB suite on the Dawn compared to a balcony on the CB makes it an obvious decision to me. NCL has been voted as having the best suites at sea. You will have amazing perks and be treated like royalty in the AB...breakfast and lunch for free in a specialty restaurant, concierge, butler, etc.

I vote for the suite life on the Dawn. :)

CG

Have been on both ships (but not in a suite unfortunately), I would choose the Dawn. I love the NCL product and freestyle cruising. CB is a great ship, and having recently gone thru a drydock I understand it is now very similar to the Crown Princess which we also loved, but the Dawn was my favorite ship ever. VERY well laid out floor plan. I knew where everything was within the first 1/2 hour of getting on board and never got lost (unlike Princess).

Just a word of caution........do your homework. A lot of recent posters were shocked and disappointed by the surcharges in the specialty restaurants. If you know the facts going in, I'm sure you'll enjoy either ship. But since you asked which one *I* would enjoy, I pick Dawn :D

I have not been on Princess, that said, I did not like the dawn. I thought the crew was sub-par. I also thought the ship was not very tastefully decorated and found the food to be the worst I have had on any cruise line. I am not an NCL hater, I am looking forward to my next cruise on NCL, but I didn't like the dawn. Just my opinion, Loyal NCL fans, please don't bash me.

I hope you like the Norwegian Spirit food better. You might like the decor of the Spirit better, its not the same decor of many of the other Norwegian ships. Her Asian decor is unmatched by any cruise ship sailing in America. One would have to sail on her sister ship to see the same decor, the SuperStar Virgo.

We were upgraded to a penthouse (at the dock, no extra charge) on the Carribbean Princess. It was our lst cruise and it was wonderful. There is a lot to do on this ship. We were in a mini-suite on the Star last June to Alaska, and I must say that it was not a lot to do other that sight see from our balcony, although we had a great time. I will tell you that once you are in a suite, even a mini-suite seems to be a down grade. I think it comes down to what you like to do.

We were on the Dawn twice in the owners suite and just off of the CB for three weeks last November. One of those weeks was in a suite supposedly comparable to the Owners suite on NCL.

The Dawn beats the CB hands down for the suite life. However, as far as everything else, I think you will enjoy either ship. We had no problems using the personal choice dining on CB but greatly prefer the freestyle dining on the Dawn. Even though most of the alternative dining rooms on the Dawn are now charging, I still love the variety of venues. my favorite is still the free Blue Lagoon. Although the CB had the best french fries at their burger and hot dog grill. The buffets on both are very good as well. On the Dawn if you are in a suite you will be allowed to have breakfast and lunch for free in their upscale Cagney's dining room. Nice touch. Great menu. No lines or crowds.

I think the CB had more things to do in the evening. And I loooove the MUTS!!! that is the Movies Under The Stars. Huge screen over the pool that you sit in your lounge chairs covered in flannel blankets while they serve you cookies and milk. when we were on, the Dark Knight movie was one of the shows and the Beyonce concert was awesome on the huge screen. Only way i would watch a concert.

So to make a long story short...If you travel for the rooms (mainly the suites) NCL is the call to make. Everything else IMHO is too close to call. My favorite of the two was the Dawn but i travel for different reasons than most. I spend a lot of time in my room.

Either one would be fine. I find better food and more activities with Princess, but NCL suite perks sounds great. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never experienced a suite. I believe that it is above my pay grade.

Archived