Cruisers from the LEFT COAST of the USA- let's talk about our CRUISES..

cctn

Evening Sharpie glad you found our other Board here. Between the 3 now, we are running around like chickens. :D. My husband & I were on the Radiance last Oct to Hawaii and back, service and everything was excellant.

Carol Lynn off our last roll Call, made up an email list for many of us so we could stay in touch

Gay

Hi all,

I just joined the California board so I thought I would pop in and say hi to my fellow Leaft Coasters, Cascadians, etc. :D

Even tho' most of us are the same on this thread and the CA one, it's fun talking from thread to thread - like the same folks visiting each other in different houses that belong to the different friends.... going from house to house! carol

Definitely, Carol. Can't wait! Woohoo!

Have a good weekend everyone!

I just forgot where you are going - I know you told me but you understand how the OLD brain works - Carol

I just forgot where you are going - I know you told me but you understand how the OLD brain works - Carol

Alaska - Itinerary:

11-Jun-09 Thu Seattle

12-Jun-09 Fri At sea

13-Jun-09 Sat Ketchikan

14-Jun-09 Sun Glacier Bay

15-Jun-09 Mon Skagway

16-Jun-09 Tue At sea

17-Jun-09 Wed Valdez

18-Jun-09 Thu Seward

19-Jun-09 Fri Kodiak

20-Jun-09 Sat At sea

21-Jun-09 Sun Icy Strait Point

22-Jun-09 Mon Juneau

23-Jun-09 Tue At sea

24-Jun-09 Wed Victoria

25-Jun-09 Thu Seattle

:D

Alaska - Itinerary:

11-Jun-09 Thu Seattle

12-Jun-09 Fri At sea

13-Jun-09 Sat Ketchikan

15-Jun-09 Mon Skagway

16-Jun-09 Tue At sea

17-Jun-09 Wed Valdez

18-Jun-09 Thu Seward

19-Jun-09 Fri Kodiak

20-Jun-09 Sat At sea

22-Jun-09 Mon Juneau

23-Jun-09 Tue At sea

24-Jun-09 Wed Victoria

25-Jun-09 Thu Seattle

This is a better itnry than my 14 days last yr - we boarded in SF- Astoria - Seattle - Victoria - Juneau - Icy Strait ( I loved this place) - Skagway - Sitka - Ketchikan - then we flew home from Vancouver.

Carol

That is a beautiful itnerary Mountainhouse. John & I really need to do Alaska, almost hard to believe we are right here and haven't done it.

Gay

I am making plans for May 2010 - you are most welcome to join us! Carol

Carol what is the Itnerary and which ship. We really want to do a TA so problem with 2010, we can't do both, yet one never knows what will happen and changes may have to be made. Besides the TA, one has to consider the Hotel cost in Europe, Tours which I hear are expensive, so might have to consider where the $$ are best put.

Gay

Besides the TA, one has to consider the Hotel cost in Europe, Tours which I hear are expensive

We did a lot more on our own in Europe. E.g. Athens - subway to Parthenon, Naples - train to Pompeii. Also, for hotels, if the city is covered by a Rick Steves guide, that will give reasonable accommodations.

Icy Strait ( I loved this place)

We're really looking forward to this stop. We splurged on a whale watching trip on a small boat with Gwind. Looks like it will be great!

Since we have never been to Europe, we would either go ships tours or if a group from our Roll Call, got something set up we would go that way, but not on our own. Friends going in Aug are doing Ship Tours since it will be their first time also.

Gay

That was our first trip too. I admit I was a little uncomfortable striking out into Athens. Busy, crazy city! We just followed the instructions on the forums here and ended up paying a Euro per person round trip to the Parthenon. I hope you'll take a little risk at some point. I think you'll find it rewarding. You're lucky to be going. I think if I were told I could only travel to Europe from now on, I'd be pretty happy. :cool:

That was our first trip too. I admit I was a little uncomfortable striking out into Athens. Busy, crazy city! We just followed the instructions on the forums here and ended up paying a Euro per person round trip to the Parthenon. I hope you'll take a little risk at some point. I think you'll find it rewarding. You're lucky to be going. I think if I were told I could only travel to Europe from now on, I'd be pretty happy. :cool:

You are right - I've only been about 4 times and each time I say, I need to really get into Europe and go to more places - we did Best of Europe 10 yrs ago - never did a Medtn cruise but our friends are wanting to go in 2011 so we are planning to go with them.

Our best friends are Greek and when they talk about Greece, I am fascinated. Carol

I see a May 8th out of San Diego to Vancouver. If we do one, we would like either the San Diego up or reverse, depending on the stops and which glaciers we can see.

Gay

I looked into the RCCL intnry and didn't want to go down to San Diego to sail up and pass SF -- also, didn't want to start in Vancouver and sail down to SAn Diego and pass SF - we would have to drive to San Diego or fly from Vancouver.

I am looking into the Celebrity site and saw the Infinity for May 2010 - it starts in SF and ends up in Vancouver - I don't mind flying home from Vancouver - or we can stay a couple of days there and even drive to Seattle then fly back home from Seattle - This sounded better to me than the RCCL sailing.

I forgot the itnry listed but it's on the Celebrity website - Carol

If we could do a Med Cruise for 2011, I would certainly switch and do it. My biggest worry is long flight over and back, reason I was looking at the TA's, Fly over, cruise back. Carol,we wouldn't mind flight back from Vancouver as it would be almost direct with a change in Seattle for us. In fact if we did that, we woul stay a couple days and visit with Murray and Blanche ( Hawaii Roll Call).

Gay

That's great! If you know anyone local, you get so much more insight into the people and culture.

Our friend's mom and dad are very pure Greek, been here since 1970 - Sam, our friend/their son - was 15 when they migrated and of course 39 yrs later.........they go back to Greece about once every 3 yrs - fascinating stories - Sam's wife who was born here - loves it there and does not mind if they retire there either. She gets a kick out of their parties and yes, they break a lot of plates! They just buy more Dawn said!! a lot of good times! Carol

If we could do a Med Cruise for 2011, I would certainly switch and do it. My biggest worry is long flight over and back, reason I was looking at the TA's, Fly over, cruise back. Carol,we wouldn't mind flight back from Vancouver as it would be almost direct with a change in Seattle for us. In fact if we did that, we woul stay a couple days and visit with Murray and Blanche ( Hawaii Roll Call).

Gay

I am really leaning towards that Infinity cruise to AK - I would miss Astoria but I am also hoping the Mariner will have sailings that alternate with the Mex Riv and go up north - so we can always go on a 7 day just for a quick escape even tho' it means we drive south then pass SF - but that's only in San Pedro/Long Beach - it's not like the San Diego drive.

I hope you can come with us to AK. Carol

She gets a kick out of their parties and yes, they break a lot of plates! They just buy more Dawn said!! a lot of good times! Carol

Now there's an idea for a cruiser's gathering! Do you think the Roadhouse would mind broken plates?

What incentive does RCI have to get repeat travelers? Princess has a more travel/more perks kind of program. But what gets us coming back is $200 deposits plus up to $200 OBC. Just curious.

Alaska - Itinerary:

11-Jun-09 Thu Seattle

12-Jun-09 Fri At sea

13-Jun-09 Sat Ketchikan

15-Jun-09 Mon Skagway

16-Jun-09 Tue At sea

17-Jun-09 Wed Valdez

18-Jun-09 Thu Seward

19-Jun-09 Fri Kodiak

20-Jun-09 Sat At sea

22-Jun-09 Mon Juneau

23-Jun-09 Tue At sea

24-Jun-09 Wed Victoria

25-Jun-09 Thu Seattle

This itinerary is one of the ones in my bucket list folder. Do post lots of info and pictures for us when you get back. :)

Archived