Cruisers from the LEFT COAST of the USA- let's talk about our CRUISES..

cctn

Hi Carol and all you left coast cruisere!!

We got back home late last night from our Panama Canal cruise. It was FANTASTIC!!! The Canal was the highlight of the trip! I could even reach out and touch the locks at Gatun. So while I have not set foot in Panama, I have set finger LOL

We were pretty late getting into Seattle. Delta changed our flight schedule so instead of one layover we ended up with two which put us into Seattle at 9:30 pm (12:30pm Flordia time) It made for a very long and exausting day. When we arrived in Seattle, I was freezing!!

The Infinity is a great ship! The shows were all new and fresh. They all boarded the ship with us in Seattle. The food was great, we had the new menus. And as always the staff went above and beyond,always very friendly! I did not see any really bad wear and tear. It did not look worn at all. I suppose if you did a really good coise up inspection you would see something, but I was having too much fun for that!!

It was very, very hot and humid, had to take at least two showers a day and put fresh clothes on LOL! I kept making the mistake of leaving the balcony door open and setting off the fire alarm!! But I am very tan!!

The ports were all very interesting as I have never been to them before. Huatulco, MX is a very beautiful place and the ocean is really warm.

Disenbarkment in Ft. Lauderdale was a nightmare!! It was very disorganized. We were delayed getting off the ship for two hours, apparently we had imigration board the ship and security was involved. something about a criminal on board and the were taking statements from various people. We just hung out in one of the lounges, but I sure hope people made there flights OK. We stayed a day in Ft Lauderdale so no worries.

Any other questions that I can answer, just ask. There was so much I could write a book

Melody

Welcome Home Melody!!

I did the same thing, I touched the lockes at Gatun as the ship was so close, just inches, in fact, since we were on the Radiance, it just shimmied on thru with scratch marks on the brand new ship as it was the inaugural at that time. We sailed FROM Ft Lauderdale and ended up in San Pedro so the flight back home was short, altho' we were delayed too!

more later - just so glad you back home - and also nice to hear that you did not mess up the Infinity for me! I can actually sail on her in May!! Carol

Welcome Home Melody!!

I did the same thing, I touched the lockes at Gatun as the ship was so close, just inches, in fact, since we were on the Radiance, it just shimmied on thru with scratch marks on the brand new ship as it was the inaugural at that time. We sailed FROM Ft Lauderdale and ended up in San Pedro so the flight back home was short, altho' we were delayed too!

more later - just so glad you back home - and also nice to hear that you did not mess up the Infinity for me! I can actually sail on her in May!! Carol

Carol

When we docked at our next port, Cartegena, there were big black scratches all over the side of the ship.When we came back after our tour ther were very busy painting. In fact we took a piece of the yellow bumper from the locks. My DH took som pics. Apparently we lost it sometime before we docked because it was gone when we got to Cartegena.

I did not mess with the Infinity too bad, just a couple of wild parties.LOL

We sure did have a couple of great nights in the martini bar and a good BBQ on the pool deck one night. They were doing chicken on big charcoal grills. VERY GOOD!!

Melody:D

Carol

When we docked at our next port, Cartegena, there were big black scratches all over the side of the ship.When we came back after our tour ther were very busy painting. In fact we took a piece of the yellow bumper from the locks. My DH took som pics. Apparently we lost it sometime before we docked because it was gone when we got to Cartegena.

We sure did have a couple of great nights in the martini bar and a good BBQ on the pool deck one night. They were doing chicken on big charcoal grills. VERY GOOD!!

I am sooo looking forward to Celebrity's service - I just know hubby will love it and tell me to continue booking with them. I want to try the other bigger/newer ships. I need to work out his schedule for next yr. We love the BBQs on deck as RCCL does them too. They have the most tender and flavorful pork ribs.

It was hot and humid when we went thru the canal too - we were there during Easter.

Carol

Melody what was Cartegna like. Its listed on a couple TA's I am looking at.

Gay

Hi Gay

Cartegens is a very big city - bigger than I thought it would be. The ships dock in a VERY industrail area, just lots of big containers. DO NOT walk anywhere on your own!! We took a tour, it was about 6 hrs long. We went to a very large fort that was built in 1566, it was very cool. The walls are all stone, shells and brick mixed together. We then went to a palace, can't remember the name, sorry. The old city is all surrounded by a wall and we did some shopping there.

There were some very old run down places and some very modern buildings. If you have ever been to New Orleans it reminded me very much of the French Quarter. I have some pics if I can figure out how to post them, I will!!

Melody

Melody, thank you for your views on Cartegna, its on TA's i am looking at. Posting pictures is really easy. I use Photo Bucket,& there is no fee.

1. Log on & Register with Photo Bucket. http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee113/GLea45/

2. Select, Upload New Images & Videos ( Opens your Documents & Files), Select the picture you wish uploaded, and click Open

3. Once Photo uploaded, check the small Box by Photo and Copy the IMG Link below the Selected Photo

4. Return to CC and Thread you wish photo posted, Right Click & Paste, the IMG Link will appear on your Reply Screen you have opened

5. I hilight the intire Link ( img********* img) then Post as normal.

You should receive a full picture .

Gay

Carol I posted that on the Main RCL Boards under the heading My Favorite Pictures I think it is. Philip has posted some fabulous ones, alot on the majesty. This particular shot was at the Aquarium at the Mirage in Las Vegas. My Camera is a Canon A520 4 mp. I was right at the railing overlooking the pool. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=814616&page=110

Gay

I think that started in Vancouver Barb - CruisinMinnie (Nancy) is on that ship now. Can't wait to hear all about it. Next yr it has the same route and our friends from NJ will be on it. I already have my Sept day marked on the 2010 calendar so I can meet them in SF for lunch or dinner.

Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if we had a regular ship that sailed from SF along the northern coast - or even from SF to Catalina, San Diego, on a permanent schedule - this way we don't have to go to San Pedro or Seattle. Great for us local bay area folks. Carol

We're back from the lovely Millennium wine cruise. We did start in Vancouver, then Nanaimo, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey, Catalina, and ended in Los Angeles (San Pedro). It was a wonderful 12 night cruise. I was looking at the itinerary for next year and it seems to have dropped Astoria and ends in San Diego. It's also been shortened to 10 or 11 nights instead of 12.

I would just love to have a ship sailing from San Francisco year round. Though I know the itineraries would probably be too limited for the cruise lines to make a profit.

BTW, welcome to the Left Coast Cruisers to all the new posters out there.

:):):)

Welcome back Nancy - glad you had a nice time. I loved Astoria - so quaint. The JC Penney there reminded me of the old one in Lodi during the 50's/60's... same layout. We even went to the Rexall Drug Store and Narce got a very good deal on his New Balance sneakers.

Glad you had a great time! Carol

Carol

We had the same experience on our 4/26 sailing..they really clean up the paint quickly

Hi Gay

Cartegens is a very big city - bigger than I thought it would be. The ships dock in a VERY industrail area, just lots of big containers. DO NOT walk anywhere on your own!! We took a tour, it was about 6 hrs long. We went to a very large fort that was built in 1566, it was very cool. The walls are all stone, shells and brick mixed together. We then went to a palace, can't remember the name, sorry. The old city is all surrounded by a wall and we did some shopping there.

There were some very old run down places and some very modern buildings. If you have ever been to New Orleans it reminded me very much of the French Quarter. I have some pics if I can figure out how to post them, I will!!

Melody

We did not like the beaches where we ported in Cartegena. They were very dirty. :( Cartegena was not one of our favorite ports.

We did not like the beaches where we ported in Cartegena. They were very dirty. :( Cartegena was not one of our favorite ports.

I wasn't too impressed with Costa Rica - Cartegena? I am sure we went there - just need to refresh my memory......that'll take a long while! C

Barb, the one TA I am looking at for 2011 on the Navigator out of Rome, stops in Provence ( Marseilles) France, Barcelona, Cartegna, Malaga, Tenerife, 7 Sea Days, FT Lauderdale ( 2010 Schedule Oct 22nd). In a later TA on the Independance ( Nov 23rd) which isn't on my top list because of the date, leaving out of Southhampton, it stops at, La Havre ( Paris), Cherbourg, Sea Day, Vigo Spain, Funchal ( Madeira) Portugal, 6 Sea Days, Ft Lauderdale. don't have updated itnerary yet.

Gay

Barb, the one TA I am looking at for 2011 on the Navigator out of Rome, stops in Provence ( Marseilles) France, Barcelona, Cartegna, Malaga, Tenerife, 7 Sea Days, FT Lauderdale ( 2010 Schedule Oct 22nd). In a later TA on the Independance ( Nov 23rd) which isn't on my top list because of the date, leaving out of Southhampton, it stops at, La Havre ( Paris), Cherbourg, Sea Day, Vigo Spain, Funchal ( Madeira) Portugal, 6 Sea Days, Ft Lauderdale. don't have updated itnerary yet.

Gay

all the destinations/stops sound good - my favorite is Funchal, need to go back cuz the basket ride was a 3 hr wait and we didn't have the time to wait. We did go on the sky cars and it was just beautiful seeing the view from those. carol

Carol I actually looked at that one, out of Southampton but concerned about the late Nov departure. It would be a Thanksgiving Cruise. It the Navigator stays about the same, that is a Halloween Cruise. Between the 3 Itneraries I looked at bringing us back to the states, the Navigator seemed to interest me more. I am going to show the itneraies to one of our Club members as she as traveled to Europe many times and knows these ports.

Gay

Carol I actually looked at that one, out of Southampton but concerned about the late Nov departure. It would be a Thanksgiving Cruise. It the Navigator stays about the same, that is a Halloween Cruise. Between the 3 Itneraries I looked at bringing us back to the states, the Navigator seemed to interest me more. I am going to show the itneraies to one of our Club members as she as traveled to Europe many times and knows these ports.

Gay

We were in those areas several time during the 2nd week of Nov and once we did Sept and found the weather was comfortable - the water wasn't choppy - it was cold but not that cold, just sweater or light jacket needed. Maybe as it goes towards the end of Nov and first of Dec, it can get cold. carol

Archived