Kennel on QM2

Thumper69

I have two dogs one of which is a registered service animal (my big fella) and the other is his little girl. I know I can take him on board with me but he has never sailed with us, we just don't think ships are the best place for a dog. What does interest us is the kennel programme on QM2 then we could all cruise in comfort and together....Its almost like the kids programmes.:D

Does anyone know the cost/fee/fare for a large dog around 75lbs?

Thanks

Anthony

I have two dogs one of which is a registered service animal (my big fella) and the other is his little girl. I know I can take him on board with me but he has never sailed with us, we just don't think ships are the best place for a dog. What does interest us is the kennel programme on QM2 then we could all cruise in comfort and together....Its almost like the kids programmes.:D

Does anyone know the cost/fee/fare for a large dog around 75lbs?

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I had a look at the kennels on Queen Mary during my most recent cruise (November 2008). I know the ship's purser well, and she explained that dogs/animals can be carried on transatlantic crossings, but not on cruises.

Service dogs are permitted at all times and stay in the cabins, I believe, with their owners. In fact, there was a diabetic alert service dog accompanying one of the passengers.

The kennels, which are located at the top of the ship on Deck 12 were small, but clean. There is a dedicated kennel attendant. Passengers can spent considerable time with their pets. I have a Kerry Blue Terrier and have considered taking him with me for my extended stays in England (no quarantine required). I agree with you, however, that a ship is not the best place for dogs.

Give Cunard a call. They will reference the rates.

Bobby

Hi Anthony,

I had a look at the kennels on Queen Mary during my most recent cruise (November 2008). I know the ship's purser well, and she explained that dogs/animals can be carried on transatlantic crossings, but not on cruises.

Service dogs are permitted at all times and stay in the cabins, I believe, with their owners. In fact, there was a diabetic alert service dog accompanying one of the passengers.

The kennels, which are located at the top of the ship on Deck 12 were small, but clean. There is a dedicated kennel attendant. Passengers can spent considerable time with their pets. I have a Kerry Blue Terrier and have considered taking him with me for my extended stays in England (no quarantine required). I agree with you, however, that a ship is not the best place for dogs.

Give Cunard a call. They will reference the rates.

Bobby

On our Caribbean trip from NYC in Nov 07, there was definitely at least one dog in the kennels - maybe this was an exception for some reason. I was facinated how and where the dogs go to the toilet, but I never found out! Sue

Hi Anthony

We are relocating back to the US in June and our two dogs will travel in the kennels. We've read nothing but good reviews from those who've used the QM2 kennels - including Sebastian's blog which is wonderful! :)

As one of our dogs is large (50lbs), we have had to book two large kennels for him which will be opened up into one really large kennel so he will be comfortable (and also meet DEFRA's standards). The cost of one large kennel is £265 per crossing, and so for a double large £530. It depends on the measurements of your dog - tip of nose to base of tail, & floor to shoulder. There are some breeds that are automatically excluded from the kennels due to size - great danes, alaskan malamutes etc.

I still have the email from the pets department containing all the pricing info, measurements, vaccination/pet passport requirements, photos etc. I'd be happy to forward the email to you if you like. I found the person at the Pets Dept to be very helpful indeed & very quick to reply to the TONS of questions we had.

I hope this helps a little!

PB82 - LOVE the photo :D

Archived