Discount Airlines in China?

bqkali

I am considering a trip to China but I am still looking at the logistics before I make up my mind for sure. Originally, my plan was to see Beijing, Xian, and Shanghai (along with some day trips from those cities) but after doing some reading, it looks to me that the Guilin/Yangshou area is also a "must-see" and I'd like to add that to my trip. I am looking for airfare to Guilin from either Beijing or Shanghai...but regardless of which city I price it from or which airline, the airfare seems to be about $450 US, which seems very steep to me considering the cost of everything else in China. Flying "directly" to or from Guilin from the USA seems to result in the same overall airfare cost as well.

Are there any discount airlines in China? Or any way to book this flight for a more reasonable cost? I've checked with some local travel agencies and none seem to have any specialties in China travel - in fact, I seem to know more than half the agents and I've never been to Asia! :eek: Alternatively, can anyone recommend an online travel agency that may be able to help me secure a more affordable flight?

Please be aware that this site forbids mentioning travel agencies by name.

May I also suggest you try the China fora and the air travel forum on the sister site, tripadvisor.com.

Finally, have you checked out Spring Air? A low cost carrier based in Shanghai which might meet some of your needs.

Does your city have an ethnic Chinese community? Regardless of country, they often have TA's who are well-connected and familiar with travel in their native country.

Be a bit wary. Many internal airlines in China have safety issues and substandard practices by US standards. Consider their record in food and product safety and you will get the idea. (I'm not picking on China, it's true with many other coutries as well).

China has a "dual" economy; the domestic and international economy are segregated and you may not be able to purchase tickets on some airlines as a non-citizen. The government wants to put their best foot forward to foreigners and cover up problems and accidents; so many internal goods and services are unavailable to "outsiders".

I am considering a trip to China but I am still looking at the logistics before I make up my mind for sure. Originally, my plan was to see Beijing, Xian, and Shanghai (along with some day trips from those cities) but after doing some reading, it looks to me that the Guilin/Yangshou area is also a "must-see" and I'd like to add that to my trip. I am looking for airfare to Guilin from either Beijing or Shanghai...but regardless of which city I price it from or which airline, the airfare seems to be about $450 US, which seems very steep to me considering the cost of everything else in China. Flying "directly" to or from Guilin from the USA seems to result in the same overall airfare cost as well.

Are there any discount airlines in China? Or any way to book this flight for a more reasonable cost? I've checked with some local travel agencies and none seem to have any specialties in China travel - in fact, I seem to know more than half the agents and I've never been to Asia! :eek: Alternatively, can anyone recommend an online travel agency that may be able to help me secure a more affordable flight?

There are so many ways to do this trip. I have been in China very frequently the last 6 years ( I am not going anymore if I can help it-the Chinese are BIG rip offs and don't do business honestly).

I have flown a lot of intra China flights. Personally, China Southern is the best although Air China is OK. You need to fly into Shanghai or Beijing. More flights, easy connections. Then decide if you want to go North, South or where. Can make a big difference in prices which one you do first. There is also an overnight train from Beijing to Xian which is not bad. AND saves a night of hotel. Out of JFK (you can figure out how to get to JFK), Air China flies nonstop (Eastbound) to PEK. Cathay often has decent fare sto Hong Kong (you can take the ferry from HKG to Shenzhen and get to Guilin easily). China Eastern has very reasonable flights out of JFK to Shanghai/ Beijing (Westbound).

And as Kenish posted, ANY Chinatown has travel agents that are well versed in intra China travel. A trip to the City or Toronto may be in order. You may also want to contact China Highlights for your intra China flights. I have used them repeatedly for cheap hotels, special permits and translation services. They have always done a good job for me. AND they will allow you to plan your own trip-EXACTLY how you want it. No need to do their packaged tour.

And while you are in China, don't forget Chengdu for the pandas (especially in the mountains at Wolong) and Llhasa for Portillo Palace and just to say you have been there. And a trip down the Yangtze.

http://www.chinahighlights.com/

Thank you all for your advice! Someone here always has the answers :)

ab0si - I did check Spring Air, but I keep getting a message that there is no departing route on that route for those dates...doesn't seem to matter which dates I put in. Perhaps I need to call them since it seems to be a web error.

parody - Thanks for the link. Shows the only discount route from Guilin to Kuala Lumpur, which doesn't help me for this trip. But I've bookmarked the site for future reference.

kenish - I knew about potential substandard safety issues, but figured I'd read reviews and reports before booking anything. Also knew that there was a dual economy; just was hoping to get around that if possible ;)

greatam - I have noted your preference for China Southern and it seems their prices are similar with other airlines so if I end up paying "full price" I will at least make sure I am getting good service. I'm actually looking to fly Delta/Northwest/Continental for the international portion in order to keep my miles all in one place (Delta). Looks like China Southern is also a Delta partner if I need them for any domestic flights. I am in Toronto frequently, so will have to check into an agency there and see if they can help me. Also thanks for the China Highlights recommendation.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. At this point I am still gathering info. I'd love to fit the trip in this year, but I may end up pushing it to next spring in order to have more vacation time allotted to this trip...doesn't seem to be possible to do a "quick" trip to China :) Of course, that seems to be the problem with anywhere I consider going to!

Archived