Help ASAP

caesar68

Don't just wing it! I did that on my first cruise to Jamaica and it was not the best experience. You don't say where you are porting - Montego Bay or Ochos Rios? Our cruise was in port in Montego Bay and while I love Jamaica ( have been back twice for all inclusive stays) , the first experiece was not all it could have been. If you are going to Montego Bay, I would say definetly book a ship excursion. The Martha Brae rafting excursion is not that far away and it is a relaxing way to spend the day. Very cool, with a raft capton poling you down the Martha Brae River as you sit in comfort while sipping your favorite drink. If you are wanting a beach type excursion, definetly book one as they do not seem to be accessible and safe otherwise. If you are in port in Ochos Rios, it may be possible to just get a taxi to Dunns Rivers Falls. This is incredibly beautiful! You start on a beach where Dunn's River flows into the Caribbean and from there you climb up the falls. Not difficult, I am not in the least bit athletic or even coordinated, but this was a sight so beautiful that I will always remember it. Have a great trip but use some caution. Jamaica is one of my favorite places in the world but a lillte foreknowledge is a good thing.

Haveluggagewilltravel

Has anyone ever just got off the ship and hired a tour guide like phil lafayette. i haven't booked yet and we may just "wing it"

Please let me know if this is even possible.

If you want a guide please arrange one. Less chance for the bullsh*t and games. Your time is limited and a real guide can impact your overall experience. If you know where you are going (a resort, falls, hip strip, Margarittiavlille) ) there are cabs you can take. The only winging I am doing in Jamaica has to do with jerk sauce and chicken:p. If you wish to make the most of your time and experience, it's worth planning ahead. From tripadvisor here is a Honest Contact Thread:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k175585-Honest_contacts_for_Jamaica_tours_fishing_boat_rides-Jamaica.html

If you want a guide please arrange one. Less chance for the bullsh*t and games. Your time is limited and a real guide can impact your overall experience. If you know where you are going (a resort, falls, hip strip, Margarittiavlille) ) there are cabs you can take. The only winging I am doing in Jamaica has to do with jerk sauce and chicken:p. If you wish to make the most of your time and experience, it's worth planning ahead. From tripadvisor here is a Honest Contact Thread:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k175585-Honest_contacts_for_Jamaica_tours_fishing_boat_rides-Jamaica.html

Hi Pauline,

If we just want to go have a local beer, could we just get off the ship and walk somewhere to sit and have a cold one? Does Margaritaville serve local beer? I don't necessarily have to go to Margaritaville, since I've been to one (in Key West).

Is it safe for my husband and I to just walk around near the port? Is there even an area to walk around near the ship? :)

Hi Pauline,

If we just want to go have a local beer, could we just get off the ship and walk somewhere to sit and have a cold one? Does Margaritaville serve local beer? I don't necessarily have to go to Margaritaville, since I've been to one (in Key West).

Is it safe for my husband and I to just walk around near the port? Is there even an area to walk around near the ship? :)

Are you in Ocho Rios?

Yes, it is safe. Be mindful of your surrounding and be prepare for people to ask you for something or try to sell you everything. If you can deal with a few pain in the azz, pushy vendors, you might even have fun with them. If they ask you to buy something, tell them that you have one already. Yes, there are shops close to the port to get things, even a grocery store. You have the Taj Mahal, or Island Village shopping center. The immediate area is lined with all kind of shops. If you want a beer and beef patties ask someone for the Juici Patty between the NCB Bank and Burger King or Margarittaville. For an authentic Jamaican meal try Mama Marley which is a few minutes from the port heading toward the Sunset Jamaica Grande. The question is not whether you will be safe but whether you will feel comfortable being approached. Some see this as a welcome challenge others as a huge problem and turnoff. Jamaica is about homework knowing what to expect.

If you are in Montego bay there are shops in the terminal or a short cab ride to the hip strip.

Hi Pauline,

Very short cab ride or walking distance.

2797121180101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2620058120101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2882985980101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2433218360101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2973115410101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Thank you all. I should have mentioned that I will be going into Ocho RIos. Think I will try to contact Lafayette tours.

You will get more out of the time on the island. I like to experience my vacation a certain way which is why I use a guide.

Here is a Honest Contact thread from tripadvisor for Jamaica. I have used some of the ones mentioned here.

Caesar68,

Don't forget the flea market, it's across the street from Soni Plaza. Our last visit I got Blue Mountain coffee there for only $10 a pound. It's around $35 lb. in the stores. Make sure you barter. Everything for tourists is there, and the locals need our business. Have fun.

Are you in Ocho Rios?

Yes, it is safe. Be mindful of your surrounding and be prepare for people to ask you for something or try to sell you everything. If you can deal with a few pain in the azz, pushy vendors, you might even have fun with them. If they ask you to buy something, tell them that you have one already. Yes, there are shops close to the port to get things, even a grocery store. You have the Taj Mahal, or Island Village shopping center. The immediate area is lined with all kind of shops. If you want a beer and beef patties ask someone for the Juici Patty between the NCB Bank and Burger King or Margarittaville. For an authentic Jamaican meal try Mama Marley which is a few minutes from the port heading toward the Sunset Jamaica Grande. The question is not whether you will be safe but whether you will feel comfortable being approached. Some see this as a welcome challenge others as a huge problem and turnoff. Jamaica is about homework knowing what to expect.

If you are in Montego bay there are shops in the terminal or a short cab ride to the hip strip.

Yes, we will be in Ocho Rios. Sorry I forgot to include that.

Thanks for the information. What is a beef pattie?

Personally, I don't like to be approached by pushy or rude vendors. As long as they can accept no, I'm OK.

Yes, we will be in Ocho Rios. Sorry I forgot to include that.

Thanks for the information. What is a beef pattie?

Personally, I don't like to be approached by pushy or rude vendors. As long as they can accept no, I'm OK.

A beef patty is a baked pastry with different filling such as ground beef, chicken, green vegetable or lobster. The BIG, BIG problem is sometimes they don't take NO. The port is located in town, so after a few minutes if the vendors are changing your vacation vibe, head back and enjoy the pool on deck....no hair hogs around:D. The question is your tolerance level. You might also have one of those days where no one tries to sell you anything....NAY:D Go prepare with a good attitude and you might be simply surprise.

Archived