probably a dumb food/drink question?

JLK22

I feel a little dumb asking this as I have been reading all these boards about everyone enjoying all the food and drinks at resorts and beaches ...

However, I have heard before that you should be careful when eating and drinking in Mexico. Like do not drink the water (non-bottled obviously) and this includes ice cubes and that you should be careful about eating the produce from there. I know my ex jsut went to Cancun and came home very ill and said it was from eating/drinking something there. But again, I have read about all the wonderful food (salsa, nachos, etc..) and frozen drinks that everyone enjoys while in port.

Is this "warning" just hype or an "old wise tale" or is this something I should be conscious of.

Please help a totally newbie cruiser/traveler :)

I feel a little dumb asking this as I have been reading all these boards about everyone enjoying all the food and drinks at resorts and beaches ...

Is this "warning" just hype or an "old wise tale" or is this something I should be conscious of.

Please help a totally newbie cruiser/traveler :)

First, there are no dumb questions. Second, the warning was probably true many years ago and has now become an old wives tale. The resort areas of Mexico depend on us coming back and spending money.

In Cozumel, we have eaten at many restaurants and never gotten sick. The water is purified as is the water used for ice cubes. If you buy produce at a grocery, it's probably a good idea to wash it in purified water.

The hotels may warn you about drinking the tap water, but will also provide you with bottled water.

Many people get sick from over indulging in alcohol or sun or both. Others may get sick because they eat spicy food which they are not used to.

People get sick on the cruise ships for many of the same reasons. However, there is somewhat of a risk of the noro-virus on a cruise ship that can be avoided by frequently washing your hands.

Enjoy your cruise and exercise good common sense. :D

Many people get sick from over indulging in alcohol or sun or both. Others may get sick because they eat spicy food which they are not used to.

While the all the water used for food prep or served to customers is purified, at least in Cozumel, I'd still be wary of eating from a beach club buffet where you don't know how old the food is, how it was stored before being brought out to the steam table, or what has landed on it.

Yup, 2 buckets of beer, 4 hours in the sun and a dish of nacho's with salsa. It had to be the salsa:p

I would avoid eating from a street vendor in most cases. But as others have noted the tourist areas are generally safe.

Charlie

PS - We always pack some Imodium® or the generic form (look for the ingredient Loperamide Hcl) when travelling.

I have been to Mexico many times mostly for work and twice for a cruise. I only got sick once and I think that was from lettuce washed with bad water (but the caesar salad was excellent). The places that depend on tourist cash like the cruise stops and border towns tend to use purchased water and are safe for the most part. They don't want to lose the tourist money.

As another poster said, avoid the street vendors. I have heard many first hand stories of how good the food is to have that person spend the next couple days in the hotel bathroom.

Archived