Is Puerta Maya the "Carnival Pier"?

MamaParrotHead

And is that the one that has the multi-level little strip mall-type thing right across the street? Near Carlos & Charlie's?

Was in Coz 2 years ago and I'm wondering if my upcoming cruise on the Glory will be at the same pier. It will be the first sailing after Glory moves to Miami, so I don't know what other ships will be there or how they sort of "arrange" which ships dock where.

Thanks.

Puerta Maya is the Carnival pier. It just reopened last fall - it had to be rebuilt after Wilma destroyed it in 2005. (Punta Langosta is the pier downtown that you described. A Carnival ship may use that one if more than two Carnival owned ships are calling at Cozumel that day.)

2819214630101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

http://www.puertamaya.com/webcam.aspx

http://www.puertamaya.com/port-schedule.aspx

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CRUISESHIPS

cruise.gif

This is the most recent taxi price list I have seen posted here on Cruise Critic. As you can see, it is for taxis leaving from Puerta Maya.

taxi_rates.jpg

And is that the one that has the multi-level little strip mall-type thing right across the street? Near Carlos & Charlie's?

Was in Coz 2 years ago and I'm wondering if my upcoming cruise on the Glory will be at the same pier. It will be the first sailing after Glory moves to Miami, so I don't know what other ships will be there or how they sort of "arrange" which ships dock where.

Thanks.

I am very disappointed to find out that we will not be docking at Punta Longosta. It is by far the better pier. Is this a tender? Both of my Carnival trips to Cozumel we have docked at Longosta.

there is a good shopping mall at the other port and it is near Carolos and Charlies and some really cool places. I don't know about this one at all.....Can anyone tell me how far this port is from Langosta????

A number of stores at Langosta will be closing this month. There is a more vibrant shopping area at Puerta Maya. The two primary piers are three miles, $7 taxi from downtown. Los Cinco Soles and most other major shops have space at Puerta Maya.

http://www.puertamaya.com/port-information.aspx?GalleryID=3

Puerta Maya’s expansive cruise center houses 42 different outlets offering apparel, fine jewelry, artwork and other merchandise from such recognizable retailers as Goodmark Jewelers, Del Sol, Piranha Joe’s, Dufry, and Diamonds International. The facility also features 15 stand-alone carts where local merchants market colorful handmade crafts, costume jewelry and souvenirs.

On-site dining options within the Puerta Maya complex include the Tres Amigos Bar, a new theme restaurant inspired by the 1986 hit movie starring Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short. The waterfront eatery – the first of its kind in the Caribbean – offers traditional Mexican fare, along with an extensive beverage menu.

Also featured is Pancho’s Backyard, a new franchise from the popular downtown Cozumel eatery featuring magnificent ocean views, as well as Fat Tuesday, a waterfront bar offering frozen drinks and light snacks, along with a DJ and dance floor.

Other retail outlets at Puerta Maya include a pharmacy, convenience store, and international pay phones. There is also a newly constructed shore excursion pier, separate from the main pier, which allows for quick and convenient access to all water-bound excursions, as well as water-based transportation to and from the facility.

The Puerta Maya pier and cruise center is located on the southwestern part of Cozumel, approximately five miles south of San Miguel, the island’s largest city.

2034239510101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

I have some more pictures that I haven't uploaded to webshots yet. I will try to get that done tomorrow night and will post them (or the link to the webshots page).

We were just at Puerta Maya for the first time last Thursday (4/2/09) and we actually liked it better than the other pier. There were plenty of shops, some restaurants and bars, plus a pharmacy. There is also a beautiful view of the ships from the shopping area.

The shopkeepers were not as aggressive as we've seen at the other pier. At Puerta Maya, they would invite you in, but if you shook your head no, they left it. At the other pier, I always felt like we were being swarmed by shopkeepers and cab drivers.

If you heading for Paradise Beach, or in that direction, it does shorten your cab ride, as you don't get caught in the Puerta Maya traffic, since you are the Puerta Maya traffic! ;)

Look at the map above in post #2.

Map didn't give the disntance.

Thanks for all this helopful information about the port. It looks like it will be interesting to experience this new location!:)

That looks fun. And it looks like it will probably suit our needs, should we not make it to Los Cinco Soles' main store downtown. Thanks! :)

There is a small Los Cinco Soles at the Puerta Maya pier. In January, we took a cab to town and went to the main store, had lunch, walked along Ave 5. It was grey and drizzling rain. Cab back to the pier stopped in the LCS at the pier. There ia also a small Pancho's Backyard. Wife bought a few souveniers and then back to the ship.

Archived