NCL Dawn March 28-April 4, 2009 Review

Silc

Silc, I too love the rugged, rocky Maine coastline. It's truely a feast for the eyes! Bah Hahbah is my favorite place in the world (when I'm not on a cruise ship, that is. LOL) Warren, Maine? Would you belive my youngest brother lived there for two years? He works at a beautiful inn in Lincolnville, next to Rockland. We have been down to the Lobster Fest a couple of times. YUM! There is nothing like Maine lobster. I live way up in northern Maine where there is nothing but trees and crop fields. The nearest ocean is at least 3 hours south of us.

I'm going to do my best to get involed in the Murder Myster Dinner and I will be sure to do a review of it. We will have to plan on being back on the ship plenty early so we don't show up to dinner with 'crusty sea hair'. LOL We'll be in Bermuda for 3 days so there won't be any tendering involved.

Quote=Silc;19056364]Hi, Kathy!

I do remember seeing the Murder Mystery dinner advertised in the Dallies, but I don't remember when it was held. Sorry about that! We never pursued it. I think our thinking was that it would have been a fun thing to try, but we wanted to get the full Freestyle experience, so we opted not to sign up for it. I'm glad CruisnGram was able to give you some info from her experience. I have a feeling that we too would have ended up there with crusty hair, and smelling suspiciously like suntan lotion! If you do decide to sign up for it, I'd love to hear about your experience!

It's always a risk saying anything negative about any cruise on any line. But I always appreciated the reviews that I have read where I got "both sides of the story". And like you, I also always remember that that is that person's opinion and perspective, and mine could be totally different!

BTW - My Grandmother and Grandfather used to live in Warren Maine. I spent many summers both there and in Rockland. What wonderful memories I have of the rough and rugged Maine coastline!

Silc

SILC, where are you coming from? Where are you going to be staying and how long are you staying?

Peg is right. We have all the regular chains...well, at least a lot of the regular chains. However, if you are asking, then I suspect you are looking for the local fare...or at least better than fair. We have a number of places that are great and that fit that bill.

Please remember that Harrisburg is divided into three parts. There is Downtown (with a town this size, isn't that a quaint term?), East Shore and West Shore.

Downtown:

There are dozens of restaurants on 2nd street in Harrisburg. The French Quarter, Firehouse, Zephyrs and Stock's are my favorites (similar types of food although you can get catfish and other New Orleans type stuff at the French Quarter). Each one is a treat in its own right. Oh, and Zephyr's is just off of 2nd street. You can even go down river a few blocks to Passage to India. The food is good and the owners are really, really good people.

On the East Shore:

Most of the restaurants are on Jonestown Rd (Rt 22) or just off of it.

Nick Cantone's and Gabriela's are great Southern and Northern Italian restaurants (in that order). Oh, and Gabriela's only takes cash...but it is worth it.

Aangan has very good Indian.

Okini is an Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc.) place just near the corner of Progress and Jonestown Road.

Ginger and Spice (on Progress Ave) is a quirky Asian Fusion that doesn’t disapoint.

Mikado's is nice Hibachi just off of Jonestown Rd on North Mountain.

On the West Shore, try:

Juliana's on the Carlisle Pike has some great Italian food (AND LOTS OF IT!!)

Tokyo Express is very nicely appointed with wonderful sushi and inventive, well balanced rolls.

Sahara is a high quality Moroccan restaurant that offers the complete 25 (or 5) course meal. You will feel like you are back on the cruise…or at least a Moroccan cruise.

There are also some fantastic places in Carlisle (which is a bit further west than the West Shore). If you need, I can give you these places too!

I hope this helps.

It helps a lot! I'm going to print this out and bring it with me. I will be in Harrisburg in May for business. I like to try new places, so your list is just the thing!

Silc

Silc, I too love the rugged, rocky Maine coastline. It's truely a feast for the eyes! Bah Hahbah is my favorite place in the world (when I'm not on a cruise ship, that is. LOL) Warren, Maine? Would you belive my youngest brother lived there for two years? He works at a beautiful inn in Lincolnville, next to Rockland. We have been down to the Lobster Fest a couple of times. YUM! There is nothing like Maine lobster. I live way up in northern Maine where there is nothing but trees and crop fields. The nearest ocean is at least 3 hours south of us.

I'm going to do my best to get involed in the Murder Myster Dinner and I will be sure to do a review of it. We will have to plan on being back on the ship plenty early so we don't show up to dinner with 'crusty sea hair'. LOL We'll be in Bermuda for 3 days so there won't be any tendering involved.

Quote=Silc;19056364]Hi, Kathy!

I do remember seeing the Murder Mystery dinner advertised in the Dallies, but I don't remember when it was held. Sorry about that! We never pursued it. I think our thinking was that it would have been a fun thing to try, but we wanted to get the full Freestyle experience, so we opted not to sign up for it. I'm glad CruisnGram was able to give you some info from her experience. I have a feeling that we too would have ended up there with crusty hair, and smelling suspiciously like suntan lotion! If you do decide to sign up for it, I'd love to hear about your experience!

It's always a risk saying anything negative about any cruise on any line. But I always appreciated the reviews that I have read where I got "both sides of the story". And like you, I also always remember that that is that person's opinion and perspective, and mine could be totally different!

BTW - My Grandmother and Grandfather used to live in Warren Maine. I spent many summers both there and in Rockland. What wonderful memories I have of the rough and rugged Maine coastline!

Silc

The last time I was in Maine we were there for the Lobster Fest. It was the year that Mary Tyler Moore's name was all over the place in protest of the killing and eating of lobsters. Of course that may always be the case? My ex-husband and I were intrigued, but we ate the lobsters anyway! I want to say it was back in 1995 maybe? I know it was a while ago. Most of my family is gone from that area now. I do have an aunt in Warren, and a cousin and Darmascota (and I know I've spelled that wrong!). I too love to visit Bah Hahbah. Wish I could afford to stay there!

I'm looking forward to your murder mystery review!

Silc

Coka may have been referring to Patti(NY) & Jose (Canada), a favorite duo aboard the Dawn ( great Neil Diamond!):D

Sarah... wonderful review about a wonderful ship! A great read:D

Jim

With about 95% certainty then that no, they weren't on our Dawn sailing!

Thanks for taking the time to read through my novella. It was so much fun putting it together.

Silc

Archived