Looking forward to 10/2010

Elde

Just thought I'd introduce myself...

The LOML and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary next year, and since we like to plan vacations a year or more in advance (the anticipation is as important as the trip for us) we started looking for something truly special.

Most of our vacations are busy, busy, busy - as they usually revolve around the SCA, Geocaching, family, or touristy stuff. We decided to go a different way for this one, once in a lifetime. We decided we wanted nothing this time but relaxation. We were ambivalent about a resort because of the hassle of getting there and back - but then we realized that living just across the Sound from Seattle gave us easy access to cruising!

With my Lady Wife's work schedule, we can't go during the summer - it's their busy season and she's a boss. (And the Big Bosses insist the bosses work as hard if not harder than the staff.) This pretty much leaves Sept.

We've pretty much settled on the Pearl over the Star. The Star has more shopping (it appears) and a English Pub - but we aren't really shoppers and I doubt the pub really has decent beer anyhow. (Living in one of the epicenters of craft brewing we are quite spoiled.) Lots of coverage of booze and wine, little discussion of beer, so any info there would be helpful.

The real kicker is that the Pearl appears to have a slightly better buffet setup.

We are currently aiming at a Courtyard Villa (A4) cabin.

I think that about covers it. This board has been extremely helpful in our planning so far, and I'll be often probably with lots of questions!

D.

Just thought I'd introduce myself...

The LOML and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary next year, and since we like to plan vacations a year or more in advance (the anticipation is as important as the trip for us) we started looking for something truly special.

What is LOML?

The Pearl is a great choice, and if you are looking at curtyard suites, then your only choice, as the Star doesn't have a courtyard. Having beenin a courtyard entitled suite, I can say you will love it.

Al

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary, Elde! We celebrate our 20th in July of 2010 and have decided on a med cruise to Italy, Greece, and Turkey on the Gem. It was a difficult decision and so far in the future. We are going in September to avoid the summer rush and the heat.

You sound like us...geocaching and family stuff for vacations. We are not in SCA but my kids are really into medieval role play games so we know a lot of SCA people through them.

Good luck on making your cruising decisions! :)

LOML - I'm going to steal this. DH and I are celebrating our 40th next week on the Pearl!:)

This will be our second trip on the Pearl - she's a great ship with a great crew. We've stayed in the CY suites before and will do so again on this cruise. We love the peace and quiet and not having to worry about swimming pool chair hogs if we want to sun.

If you're thinking of the Star, may I suggest that you look at the AD penthouse suite on the stern (AKA AFT)? We've stayed in one on the Dawn and the balcony is huge (holds 2-full sized loungers and a small table) and it's again, very quiet and peaceful.

You cannot go wrong IMO with either a CY or an AD (we have another one booked for 2010!).

Welcome and please continue to ask your questions and you'll find that we are more than willing to answer!

Archived