Before I book LaQuinta East...

ArmyWife82490

I need some help! We will be staying there the night before our cruise leaves (8/29) and want to leave our car there until we get back (9/6). Is this okay? SO is under the impression that we have to stay another night when we get back in order to do so. Also, when I make a reservation, do I need to inform them that we're leaving our car there for the week or whatever? Ok, anything else I'm forgetting that I need to know? Thanks in advance!

I don't think there is a problem leaving your car there with just a 1 night

stay. But be aware they DO NOT offer transportation back to the hotel

after the cruise so you'll have to hire a taxi to get back there. I'd most

definitely call and confirm with the hotel directly since policies do change

from time to time.

I just talked to them on the phone:305 871 1777. They said that you can leave your car up to 14 days and they provide a shuttle to the pier, which you sign up for at check in but no transportation back. Must get a taxi.

Hope this helps... from another army wife!

Ah, you're amazing! I was going to call, but I hate talking to people I don't know (I think forums are a tad bit different, lol).That's great news! I'll go ahead and book tonight!

I have a room booked for our 1 night pre cruise can you post how it was on your return.

It would really be helpful

Thanks

Steve

I have a room booked for our 1 night pre cruise can you post how it was on your return.

It would really be helpful

Thanks

Steve

We just returned from our cruise on March 23. We stayed at the LaQuinta East for one night pre crusise. I read the reviews and I had some concerns, but went ahead. I am glad we did. I was pleasantly surprised.

So, I'll tell you the +++'s 1)The hotel staff was very courteous. 2) They allowed us to park for 11 days free of charge.($20 per day at the port). 4) We parked right outside the front door. No one asked us to move to the back or in a vacant lot, so we felt very secure leaving it. (3.) They took us to the port (free of charge), (it was $10 perperson from the port in a van, and the driver dropped us off at LaQuinta after they dropped off at the airport) and 4) there was a free breakfast. The best part of that was that they had a waffle machine and the mix next to it, where you could make your own. They had two times to be driven to the port... 10 am. or 12 noon. So, be sure to sign up when you check in.

5) Since the restaurant next door (Bennigans) was no longer, they offered complimentary shuttle to 3 restaurants. Ask at the desk when you check in, and they give you the menus. 6) Sometime in the late day, 3 pizza menus were slipped under the door should you decide to do take out.

While having a negative of not having a restaurant on the premises or walking distance, I think they did a nice job with the options.

Many people talked about this being a scary neighborhood, drunks in the doorway etc. I didn't see that, and I did not feel threatened in any way (and I'm a chicken). We saw people walking and we wondered where they were going as there is no where to walk to. Basically you are right off the main road that leads to the airport on the frontage road. I did not find any problems other than trying to find it.... we could see it, and circled twice before finding the entrance. We felt like we are stuck on the roundabout and couldn't get out:confused:

Our room rate when I booked was $119 for a standard room. We had four reductions (check the internet). When I called the 800 # with regarding the price drop, they changed no problem. They too were courteous and honored every drop. We went from govt, to AAA to AARP, and finally the last price was LMD in the code box which stands for "Last Minute Deal". Try this code closer to 3 weeks or so and see if a lower rate is offered. Our rate was $58.65 (plus taxes) so $64 ish and we were able to get a King room with microwave and refrigerator.

I don't know what the standard room looks like, but this was not a huge room. It was clean and basic. The frig, did come in handy for our soda and xtra sandwiches we did not eat on our drive down.

Clearly, if you add up everthing you get, I don't see how they made any money.

The negative........ I did not see anyone tip the driver. Shame on them.

I really don't understand people. Free shuttle... saved them the price of a cab, and they stiff the guy that worked like a dog loading the luggage. And yes, the porters were there also, waiting to unload, and we tipped them also.

I hope this helps.

We just returned from our cruise on March 23. We stayed at the LaQuinta East for one night pre crusise. I read the reviews and I had some concerns, but went ahead. I am glad we did. I was pleasantly surprised.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the great review. I just booked 2 rooms there for our pre-cruise stay.

Would love pictures other then what can be viewed on the LQ website.

Again thanks for the review.

So, I'll tell you the +++'s 1)The hotel staff was very courteous. 2) They allowed us to park for 11 days free of charge.($20 per day at the port). 4) We parked right outside the front door. No one asked us to move to the back or in a vacant lot, so we felt very secure leaving it. (3.) They took us to the port (free of charge), (it was $10 perperson from the port in a van, and the driver dropped us off at LaQuinta after they dropped off at the airport) and 4) there was a free breakfast. The best part of that was that they had a waffle machine and the mix next to it, where you could make your own. They had two times to be driven to the port... 10 am. or 12 noon. So, be sure to sign up when you check in.

5) Since the restaurant next door (Bennigans) was no longer, they offered complimentary shuttle to 3 restaurants. Ask at the desk when you check in, and they give you the menus. 6) Sometime in the late day, 3 pizza menus were slipped under the door should you decide to do take out.

While having a negative of not having a restaurant on the premises or walking distance, I think they did a nice job with the options.

Many people talked about this being a scary neighborhood, drunks in the doorway etc. I didn't see that, and I did not feel threatened in any way (and I'm a chicken). We saw people walking and we wondered where they were going as there is no where to walk to. Basically you are right off the main road that leads to the airport on the frontage road. I did not find any problems other than trying to find it.... we could see it, and circled twice before finding the entrance. We felt like we are stuck on the roundabout and couldn't get out:confused:

Our room rate when I booked was $119 for a standard room. We had four reductions (check the internet). When I called the 800 # with regarding the price drop, they changed no problem. They too were courteous and honored every drop. We went from govt, to AAA to AARP, and finally the last price was LMD in the code box which stands for "Last Minute Deal". Try this code closer to 3 weeks or so and see if a lower rate is offered. Our rate was $58.65 (plus taxes) so $64 ish and we were able to get a King room with microwave and refrigerator.

I don't know what the standard room looks like, but this was not a huge room. It was clean and basic. The frig, did come in handy for our soda and xtra sandwiches we did not eat on our drive down.

Clearly, if you add up everthing you get, I don't see how they made any money.

The negative........ I did not see anyone tip the driver. Shame on them.

I really don't understand people. Free shuttle... saved them the price of a cab, and they stiff the guy that worked like a dog loading the luggage. And yes, the porters were there also, waiting to unload, and we tipped them also.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this info. It helped a lot! :)

Just a word of warning. When we stayed there the hotel staff told us not to order from any of the places that left ads under our doors. Apparently they operate out of their homes so there's no controls or anything.

The hotel staff did recommend reliable pizza and Chinese food and some others for delivery.

The only other comment that I have is that they start the shuttle to the port at 12 or 12:30 (I think) and by the time you get there it is very crowded and it took forever to check-in.

Just a word of warning. When we stayed there the hotel staff told us not to order from any of the places that left ads under our doors. Apparently they operate out of their homes so there's no controls or anything.

The hotel staff did recommend reliable pizza and Chinese food and some others for delivery.

The only other comment that I have is that they start the shuttle to the port at 12 or 12:30 (I think) and by the time you get there it is very crowded and it took forever to check-in.

We signed up for the noom departure, and yes by the time you load etc. it is later. I am glad we not sign up for the earlier, as when we arrived there was a huge backup... noone was going anywhere. The coast guard decided to do an inspection, so obvioulsy there was a backlog.

Your best bet would be be to skip the hotel shuttle to the pier and zip over as soon as you want via cab. No delays. Won't cost more than $25 and you won't be on someone else's schedule. Saving so much in parking your car, should off set the cab fare:) Have a great cruise!

We took the 10AM shuttle from the hotel to the port and had excellent service and no delays. In fact the shuttle service from airport to hotel/ hotel to nearby restaurants for dinner/and then hotel to port was very efficient.

We were on our ship (Carnival Liberty) by 11:15AM having lunch.

We took the 10AM shuttle from the hotel to the port and had excellent service and no delays. In fact the shuttle service from airport to hotel/ hotel to nearby restaurants for dinner/and then hotel to port was very efficient.

We were on our ship (Carnival Liberty) by 11:15AM having lunch.

A 10 AM shuttle would be great. They did not offer one that early last October (maybe the season?). We were on the first shuttle and it was around noon.

Your best bet would be be to skip the hotel shuttle to the pier and zip over as soon as you want via cab. No delays. Won't cost more than $25 and you won't be on someone else's schedule. Saving so much in parking your car, should off set the cab fare:) Have a great cruise!

I was under the impression that the cab fare would be closer to $35. From a hotel to the port it would be a metered fare I believe.

Other posters have mentioned taking the shuttle from the hotel to the airport and catching a cab from the airport to the port since it's a fixed price of about $24 for up to 5 people.

Anyone else?

I was under the impression that the cab fare would be closer to $35. From a hotel to the port it would be a metered fare I believe.

Other posters have mentioned taking the shuttle from the hotel to the airport and catching a cab from the airport to the port since it's a fixed price of about $24 for up to 5 people.

Anyone else?

Sailor, You are correct that the rate will not be the flat fee as from the airport. I was guessing and probably did underestimate. :o (35 might be a bit high.)

I did want the OP to know tho that if the shuttles are not running as frequently because they are cruising late in August, to get to the ship easily and quickly on their preferred schedule, to just cab it. Their choice of course.

(We personally HATE waiting for people that are on their own time clock. )

I spoke with the hotel last week and they told me the Benigan's just re-opened....new management, etc....part of the deciding factor (having a place to eat within walking distance) for our group of 50 staying there in Jan...can anyone who has stayted there recently confirm this....not that it will still be open in Jan?

docs wife:

On March 20/21 the Bennigan's was indeed open. We did not eat there because several guests in the Lobby of La Quinta told us that the food was not very good or the service. They said that the wait was long for their food and when it came, it was not hot or very tasty. Our group took the hotel shuttle to a nearby Latin cafe and then took a short walk from there to a nearby K Mart for pop and last minute supplies. We returned back to the cafe and called the hotel for shuttle pick up. They came for us 10 minutes later.

I did not eat at the Bennigan's, so I am just relaying the experience from someone else. Things may have gotten better.

Archived