coffee press

So I've heard that the coffee on board is pretty awful so we are going to bring our own coffee with a "camping" coffee press (it's all plastic and has a carabiner handle...very handy). Here's my question...where do we get the hot water to make the coffee? How about mugs and cream? Do I ask room service or my room steward?

Thanks

My husband and I found the coffee to be fine -- I think it's just what you're used to.

I'm with you! I never had any problem with the coffee. I mean---a cup or two in the morning---and it was always fine by me. If you are expecting Starbucks you will be disappointed, but if you like the coffee you buy in the coffee aisle at the grocery store---I could see no difference. I should note---I do like good coffee, and always buy beans from Starbucks and grind it myself. That is what we are used to at home, and both my Hubby and I drink the stuff on the ship.

We definitely aren't expecting Starbuck's but I do like my cup of Decaf English tea in the morning and my hubby has to have some strong coffee to get going.

We are planning on early morning wakeup with some coffee and tea via room service but there were lots of posts about how awful the room service coffee was.

We're on Enchantment...is the coffee different than on Voyager?

The ships I have been on have a hot water dispenser with the self serve coffee outside the windjammer. It is for those who want to make tea but I guess you could take some back to your cabin to make your coffee. There is also powdered cream and sugar there. Seems like a lot of trouble to me. I just drink their coffee.

You can buy good coffee by the cup on the Enchantment. I did not care for the room service coffee or the coffee in the dining room, but that was two years ago. I did not care for it on the Adventure or Mariner in the past year, either.

If you're bringing your own coffee press (I used to, also -- I have a lightweight, stainless steel, insulated French Press), you'll need hot water. Order that from room service if you want it in the room. and make sure they bring you mugs for two and sugar, cream, etc. If you prefer larger cups of coffee, you might want to consider brining your own mug -- or buy one in your first port as a souvenir. Otherwise, you can take your press to the Windjammer and get hot water there, plus, creamer, sugar, etc.

Be sure to bring extra Zip-Loc bags or Baggies for the coffee grounds!!!

....which is what we did on our first cruise. We also brought a plastic french press pot, and our own coffee....and we used it exactly ONCE. The ship's coffee wasn't great, but it wasn't hideous, either. I didn't bother bringing the press on the next cruise...plus, who wants to clean up after it?

The coffee we bought was excellent, but pricey. The free coffee was such that we were encourages to purchase the coffee we bought. The coffee was brewed using too few coffee grounds for the amount of water, which resulted in the water leeching out not only the coffee flavor but also then leeching out the bitterness of the coffee grounds. (See Alton Brown's Good Eats episode "Trew Brew" for a detailed scientific, but emminently understandable explanation of what makes good coffee good and bad coffee bad. After viewing that program, you'll have no problem telling the difference between "too few grounds," "water not hot enough," "brewed too long," "brewed too short," etc.)

Just off Jewel of the Seas... and we are not fans of Seattle's Best or any coffee that we have tried aboard a ship. So we always bring our french press.

To get all of the necessary ingredients, this is what we do. On the first day we order room service and ask for hot tea for four people. This way they bring you a large thermos of hot water with four tea cups, creamers, sugar, and spoons. We keep the thermos, tea cups, spoons, sugar etc in our cupboard for the duration of the cruise so that we have all the supplies that we need.

Then each morning, one of us goes to the Windjammer and fills the thermos with hot water (and if needed replenishes the creamo etc. supplies) and returns with enough hot water for the french press. We make our coffee and pour into those cups that we kept from the first day. We also order room service at this time so that by the time it comes usually about 30 minutes we receive a second thermos of hot water just in time for our second pot of coffee...

So each morning, while we sit on our aft facing balcony we relish in our delicious cup of coffee as we sail into port... It was most definitely worth it!

yfraser,

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Perfect! Thermos of hot water and coffee setups! Thank you! I will definitely do that!

Is it possible to get milk instead of creamer when you order the tea for four?

How DID you get your french press clean? I was thinking of giving the cabin steward a $20 to take care of it for the week (in addition to the regular tip).

Just got off the Enchantment on Sat. A Thanksgiving cruise with 46 family and friends. Both hubby and I are strong coffee drinkers, and found the coffee great. Room service and dining room coffee was always good. And in the buffet area.

When ordering from room service, you can ask for cream instead of milk.

Prior to our first cruise we read other Canadian posts about the RCI coffee being horrendous.

So, we brought cans of Timmies (Tim Hortons) coffee to brew our own. (there really is no other)

My DW prefers Tea, and of course being Canadian, is also particular about how her tea is brewed - (Ridgeways, boiling water, 2% milk, etc etc.)

...anyway...

...it neccesitated bringing our portable Melitta drip coffee maker, S/S carafes.

Also, if you have a balcony, then by all means bring a small camp stove, as we did, to boil the water. Crock pots are great for left-overs, etc., but take forever to bring water to a boil.

Do remember to smuggle some Bailley's or similar, to add to your coffee on those cool evenings.

When we ordered tea the first time we asked for milk and cream... They brought a small container of milk... the kind that fills about an 8 ounce glass... We had asked the room steward to take everything out of the fridge and we stored it there. As far as cream... to get the real stuff... when in port pick up a small container at a local grocery store... then you have it all.

As far as coffee... it isn't about how strong it is, or the brand, it is about the quality, the roasting, the care of the bean, etc... and terroircoffee.com has some of the best! They consistently sell coffees that are rated in the 90's (like the scoring for wine)... they are the best. We always take their coffee with us.

Thanks yfraser for the web site and tips. We are just off the Jewel also and I'll have to say...the coffee was YUK! Did end up buying a grande down at the coffee bar each day. It seemed better down there, but not great. My Hubby and I both agree that next time we will bring our little portable coffee maker. Great coffee really starts our day off the way we like! By the way...we have been sailing Princess for the last several years and we found there coffee to be ok so stopped bringing our portable. I Wonder why such a huge difference in the lines?

Archived