Help Needed- Cabin for 3 on CB

sealegs9

Hi-I'm new to Princess- was always a RCCL fan. We're booked on Caribbean Princess 4/23-4/30 Aloha Deck Room 510. Husband, me and 10 year old. Deck plan shows it as for 3 people. I went on to cruise personalizer and saw- A510 - Non-Converting twin. My TA is on vacation (on Millenium this week). I called Princess on 11/26 to see if this is a mistake. I asked if the beds could be pushed together. After speaking to 3 "supervisors" after original assistor could not even address question was told:

"The beds could be moved together if only two people were in the room. Because the upper birth will be down, it will be a fire hazard and we can't note a queen on your reservation. Ask your cabin steward for help" They also suggested a roll-away. I challenged them- wouldn't that be a fire hazard- wouldn't be able to move around room with rollaway blocking - couldn't get to door or balcony.

Has anyone had experience of a triple in A510 or similar suite? Will we be able to request our steward to convert the beds to queens?

I know this sounds silly, but our first cruise, on Majesty of the Seas- didn't know better- booked a forward cabin on deck 3. Had 4 in room. Both 3rd and 4th berths came out of the wall at shoulder height and regular beds were catty cornered. All four of us slept separately. This was our 25th Anniversary and did not appreciate it. We now always make sure the beds in our particular cabin are convertible to queens.

Should I ask our TA to switch us to a cabin on the Caribe Deck- (more $) or will we run into the same problem? Don't want a mini suite on Dolphin- don't want sun on balcony, want privacy and don't want to spend xtra $ for things we don't want. Should we ask for a cabin that can accommodate 4 people (instead of 3) so maybe the beds can go together?

How about some of you recent travelers with kids (over Thanksgiving)- were the beds able to be converted to queens in regular balcony cabins - and specifically A510?

Your help is appreciated. My TA returns on the 6th and I'm calling him then to straighten out - based on your responses.

Chris- I noticed you are a great resource- any ideas. (Please don't suggest aft balcony- we had an aft Junior Suite on Voyager and could not stand the vibrations- want to be mid-ship) Thanks :confused:

We had A422 on the Halloween cruise on the Star (followed Sue) and found that the upper bed ladder was unstable for our 12 yo to climb when it was positioned by the cabin steward between the beds. We placed it at the end of the bed. We did have to squeeze by to get to the bathroom. Even if the steward won't do it, you probably could put the twins together. I imagine he/she would have to climb on the beds to pull down the berth bed once they are together.

Joni

We had A422 on the Halloween cruise on the Star (followed Sue) and found that the upper bed ladder was unstable for our 12 yo to climb when it was positioned by the cabin steward between the beds. We placed it at the end of the bed. We did have to squeeze by to get to the bathroom. Even if the steward won't do it, you probably could put the twins together. I imagine he/she would have to climb on the beds to pull down the berth bed once they are together.

Joni

Our 42 year old daughter cruises with us, and she has a top bunk. I put the ladder at the foot of the bed also, and set it against the wall by the vanity during the day!!

Don't worry about this at all. The room steward can push the beds together if there are three of you in the room. We always have our daughter with us, so the third bed is always used. It will be a bed that will fold out of the wall and the ladder can be put at the end of the bed. Yes, you do have to squeeze a little when walking around it to go to the bathroom, but it is no problem. We only had a room steward tell us once that they couldn't push the beds together. That was actually a quad room, but the bed she used was still the one that folded out of the wall, so I have no idea what the problem was. Looking back at it I have a feeling he just didn't want to deal with it. Makes it harder for the steward to make that bed. Now we do book mini-suites because we like the larger room, but not because of this bed situation. If the beds aren't together when you get to your room, just ask the steward to put them together and I'm sure it will be done.

Have a great cruise.

Susan

Thanks to all for the info. I feel confident that as long as the cabin steward is willing to put the beds together, it can be done.

Another question. On RCCL, the Stewards put the upper bed up after cleaning the room in the morning and take it down while we are at dinner. Is that the practice on Princess, or is the upper bed "down" the entire cruise. That would make it uncomforatble- you couldn't sit on the bed to read, watch TV, etc during the day.

Any experiences or answers?

We had the same situation on the CB in September. The Room Steward had our bed together and then put the ladder at the foot of the bed. Because it was "in the way" and we'd have tripped over it to get to the bathroom, we always put it in the closet. Our 11-year-old Godson never needed it. It was easier for him to "jump" from our bed up onto his. In the morning, we were always up before he was. Then, when he got up, he just swung his legs over onto our bed and lowered himself back down. It worked out better for us. Now, if your child gets up during the night a lot, that might be harder. Only one night, our Godson got up to go to the bathroom. I had bought a "magnetic" tap light that we stuck on the metal ceiling above him. He just "tapped" it on so he could see where our legs were and he "dodged" us. But...usually, he stayed put until we roused him several times in the morning!! He was pretty worn out!! Oh....the "bunk" bed is "up" during the day unless you call the steward to put it down. Our friends had a 4-year-old one and they had to call the steward when they wanted her to take a nap. He said the "bunks" are dangerous" for playing on. I think that's why they're kept put away.

Kathy-

Thanks for the info. We'll have plenty of room during the day with the bunk put up.

It looks like the rates at our TA dropped for a BA to the rates of the BC. I may try for a cabin on the Caribe deck- this time a quad- so maybe one of the beds won't be in the way.

Archived