Underwater Camera

Becca76

Do you just go with a disposable? I'm thinking of purchasing an underwater digital for the trip. I love snorkeling, might someday try scuba and think this would be a good investment.

Any thoughts?

I used a disposable when snorkeling in Hawaii and was not as happy with the quality of shots. I would like better.

Can you use it out of the water for decent shots too? Like on the beach where you would be worried about it maybe getting wet?

Thanks! :D

I got the Suprema-Pixsea and used it for my trip last week to St Thomas and St Marteen and it was fantastic. It takes SD cards (the manual says 1gb only but I used a 2gb with no issues) and besides good pictures it also takes pretty good video. I am working on uploading my pictures now and as soon as I get them loaded I will post again so you can see the quality. Here is a link to where I purchased the camera.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-535/068863/Suprema-Pixsea-5.0-Megapixel-Camera.html

Enjoy

Do you just go with a disposable? I'm thinking of purchasing an underwater digital for the trip. I love snorkeling, might someday try scuba and think this would be a good investment.

Any thoughts?

I used a disposable when snorkeling in Hawaii and was not as happy with the quality of shots. I would like better.

Can you use it out of the water for decent shots too? Like on the beach where you would be worried about it maybe getting wet?

Thanks! :D

I have a canon powershot point and shoot that I use under the water. Canon makes underwater enclosures for most of their point and shoots. So the camera is good in/out of the water. If you're looking for a snorkel camera you can check out aftermarket canons and can probably find a good deal on the camera/enclosure (I have an A620 that I paid $250 for and I think you can pick them up for like $50 now :().

Randall

P.S. you can check out my photo website almost all the pictures were taken with this camera (you can see me in action with it on the main page): www.randallgamby.com. You should also pick up a few how-to underwater photography books since even the nicest camera doesn't fix the "picture" vs. "snapshot" problem (I have about a dozen books on my shielf). :)

I'm waiting for that Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 to come out (in orange). ;) Hopefully I'll be able to get it before my May 14th cruise! Its a 12mp and supposed to have a great video recorder on it. Plus other neat features like where it remembers faces and will primarily focus on them.

I bought my husband a scuba camera through ebay last week...it is an Intova. We will be using it next week, and I will let you know how the pics come out. It was not too expensive and I was able to get a red filter, a flash diffuser, and a 2 GB memory card. We have been borrowing/renting one...we tried those disposable ones, but the color was not good.

I can hardly wait to use this new one. I didn't buy a very expensive one since we are still "new" to underwater photography...

--Susan

Louisiana

I look forward to your review. I did some more looking and really like the quality they put out over the disposable ones.

I'm hoping to find one that I can ask my family to buy me for Christmas. I know all my spare money is going to the cruise.

Thanks everyone for posting.

I look forward to your review. I did some more looking and really like the quality they put out over the disposable ones.

I'm hoping to find one that I can ask my family to buy me for Christmas. I know all my spare money is going to the cruise.

Thanks everyone for posting.

Becca - we ordered the camera Dem&Mag recommended. If you go that route, don't buy the memory card from them. We found the same one at Best Buy for less than 1/2 the cost.

I bought my husband a scuba camera through ebay last week...it is an Intova. We will be using it next week, and I will let you know how the pics come out. It was not too expensive and I was able to get a red filter, a flash diffuser, and a 2 GB memory card. We have been borrowing/renting one...we tried those disposable ones, but the color was not good.

I can hardly wait to use this new one. I didn't buy a very expensive one since we are still "new" to underwater photography...

--Susan

Louisiana

SusanNjay, I just bought the Intova IC 600 camera on Amazon. We leave for a weeks stay in the Rivera Maya on May 1st. I would love to see your underwater pics when you get back. I also purchased the diffuser and the red filter. I am anxious to see how the red filter works at depth. I know nothing about photography and am wondering if you use the flash when using the red filter and if you keep it on cloudy or auto. Any insight you have would be helpful!:D

Has anyone on here tried the Aquapac's? Your supposed to be able to use your current digital camera in their 100% watertight up to 15 ft bag.

I'm thinking of getting one for my nikon. I did not like the disposable underwater cameras and I'm not around the water that much to justify the purchase of a waterproof camera.

Any thoughts on these bags?

scuba214--

The Intova with red filter and flash diffuser took awesome pics! We are very pleased with the quality of the good pics we took. We are not very good photographers, but in the ones we didn't move or the fish didn't move...they were awesome!

I can email you some of the pics if you want...

We used Alison--scubawithalison.com again and everything was terrific as usual. We did Santa Rosa Wall and Tormentos Reef...

--Susan

Has anyone on here tried the Aquapac's? ...

Any thoughts on these bags?

I am not a fan of the bags. They seem to work great one or two times, but then there are reports they leak.

Digital cameras are going to fire if water leaks. Its not worth the risk. I would recommend a housing for your camera. Otherwise, you will have a couple hundred dollar paperweight.

Here is a link to my photos from last week, there is a set for snorkling pictures, all were taken with the camera listed above (ps there are also some videos including two from the Glory Waterslide in the Glory section).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34179141@N05/collections/

Sam

does that camera have a fish or underwater setting? Some cameras do and it adds right into to the picture.

scuba214--

The Intova with red filter and flash diffuser took awesome pics! We are very pleased with the quality of the good pics we took. We are not very good photographers, but in the ones we didn't move or the fish didn't move...they were awesome!

I can email you some of the pics if you want...

We used Alison--scubawithalison.com again and everything was terrific as usual. We did Santa Rosa Wall and Tormentos Reef...

--Susan

I would love to see them. bianchibrava@charter.net

Archived