I have a suggestion for Honolulu travelers on a budget!!!!

Murphey

Hey all. I am a frequent cruiser who lives on Oahu in the winter. I thought I'd share a fun thing to do; if you want to do something really on the "cheap"!

Honolulu's public bus system is great and it is called "The Bus". Well, there is something also called "The Boat".

It is a commuter boat that runs from the Aloha Tower to Barber's point. It goes back and forth in the morning and late afternoon. You can take "The Boat" for $2 each way or $1 if you are a senior. We did this a couple of weeks ago (from Barber's point and back), and found that it was a great whale watching, wild life, Honolulu views and such for a steal!!! Now, granted, there is not much for you to do at Barber's point...you just get back on "The Boat".

Each way takes 60 minutes and since most Hawaii cruises tend to have a long day in Honolulu, I thought I would just make the suggestion. I'll answer any questions if you have them!!

Murphey, thanks for letting us know about this! It sounds interesting and something we'll definately look into. Do you think The Boat will be in service a few months from now or is it being fazed out? Hope not...

We were just on "The Boat" last week.....yes they are talking of discontinuing servicebut we got the distinct impression it would be around for a while longer.

I take it that people must live there otherise why would they run a boat?

Barber's Point is in an industrial area.....there is a parking lot, transfers to The Bus and Shuttle Service to Kapolei. Right across the bay is the yacht harbor and Ko Olina...too bad it isn't walkable. I suppose you could take the shuttle to Kapolei and catch a cab to take you there. It's not very far and a very very cool place to spend the day!!!! But there are no facilities there. It's like a "park and ride" place. Kapolei is a nice new town, but nothing for tourists really. A cab ride to Ko Olina would be about 10 minutes max.

• 2 months later...

I just found a reference to this on line (www.theboat.com) before I did a search here.

$2.00 per person, each way.

It sounds like a great way to relax for a couple of hours, see the shoreline, and "people watch".

We arrive in Honolulu at 8:00 pm the day before our cruise...not enough time for an all day excursion, but most certainly enough time for a 2 hour boat ride. (That's AFTER we go to the flea market, of course!)

[edit] btw..."cheap" is less important than "relax and unwind"! ...but "cheap" has its lure, too!

Downsized: that link didn't work for me, so I found this: http://www.trytheboat.com/

Looks like it will no longer be running when you're there. Darn, I got excited when I saw this revived thread.:(

Thanks curly. You're correct, both in the correction of my link, and the fact that "theboat" apparently makes it's last sailing on 06/30.

That's a shame. I remember 35 years ago when my bride and I were poor and stationed at McChord. We'd often spend the afternoon by taking a cheap ride on the ferry.

I've not been on one since!

Archived