For those who put the kids in their own cabin...

Seago2

We booked two cabins this summer for the two of us and two kids. Although we are technically booked as one parent and one child in each room, the plan is to keep the kids in one room (they are boys, ages 15 and 11) and for us to stay in the other. Hold your flames! I know families do this because I have seen in on every cruise I've ever been on, and I know that at least one passenger has to be 25, so...

My question is: how do we ask for the beds in one room to be set up as a double without raising any red flags? I've seen it, time and again, Mom and Dad in the balcony and the kids across the hall in the interior... just wondering how I go about telling the cruise line that my 15 year old and I need one bed???:eek:

When I called to book two rooms for our 4/11 cruise Celebrity asked for name of one parent for each room and split the 3 kids. She told me right away that she did it that way for reservation purposes only and when we left just let them know who would actually be in each room and there would be no problems. When looking for rooms I made sure we had two together and we are traveling as a group so all 4 rooms are side by side. They didn't have a problem with it at all.

I just returned for a wonderful cruise on the Norwegian Dawn with my family. For reservation purposes DD(5) and I were in a cabin and DS(3) were in an adjoining cabin. When we checked in, we called to have the adjoining door opened and the beds in one cabin put together. No one said anything. The stewards could tell that the kids were in one cabin and we were in the other. I don't think you will have a problem.

My sister had no problem getting room cards changed and the beds arranged on our last cruise. Her boys are the same age. They had ajoining balcony's and had the divider open. The boys spent most of their time in the kids clubs and eating pizza. Every time I saw one they were going to or getting back from pizza. Oh to be young again.

There are no red flags to raise it is done all the time. the booking the adult is for responsiblity purposes. Kids trash things, you pay. They don't care who is where once you check in.

That said I have been stuck next to a cabin full of kids 4 of them while their parents were in another cabin on ANOTHER FLOOR. and it was a nightmare for us. I believe the oldest was about 15 tops, youngest probably about 4.

Hopefully you have connecting cabins or immediately adjoining. and if anyone does complain to you about some issue, don't assume they are lying. I know everyones own children are above reproach but they aren't. I am the mother of Five grown children by the way.

I am not blasting you, just saying use caution and keep an open mind, and think about others as well..

Princess booking agent just put DH and son in balcony and said he'd have the bed requested as a double/queen. I and the other 2 kids in the interior across the hall have single beds. So we have requested the bedding as we plan to use it. DH and I will sleep in the balcony cabin and the kids will be across the hall. We've done this on Carnival; RC; and Princess.

r/Judy

Thanks so much for the help! Good move posting the question here- I would have been scorched into the earth if I had put it in a few other places I can think of :D.

Thx again!

That "adult in the room " requirement is for booking purposes only! What do you think large families with 2 parents and 6 kids who need 3 rooms do???

You can tell them when you check in who will be where--they don't care, and get the proper keys and bed set-ups then!

Thanks so much for the help! Good move posting the question here- I would have been scorched into the earth if I had put it in a few other places I can think of :D.

Thx again!

Yes, the Family Board prides itself upon being a "kinder and gentler" place :D

We had two side by sides and 5 of us. The rooms were set up with the three teens in bunks and a single and the other room the beds were pushed together. We did not have to say a thing. Later they put a letter in everyones room about the rules of the ship and part of it went on to say that each room needed someone who was 21 in it. I think that it is strictly for legal purposes. This was on NCL, Carnival let us book it with the girls in one room and us next door.

Karysa

We for the first time booked two balcony rooms side by side. We booked each room with one parent and one child. Even though my husband and I will be in one room and kids in the next I was not planning on changing it when we arrived. Doesn't the sea pass cards act as your room key? I want to have access to both rooms and I also want my kids to have access to both rooms. Can anyone clear this up for me.

.. just wondering how I go about telling the cruise line that my 15 year old and I need one bed???:eek:

I had requested the two beds when my female friend and I cruised in January. When we got to our room it was put together as one bed. When we told our wonderful cabin steward that we wanted it separate he said no problem. However, after looking at it for awhile I realized that if we separated them then there would be less room. When I mentioned it to the steward, he said that was correct. I told him I thought we'd like to keep the one bed and he agreed that was the better layout. So, I said all that to say ... I think they'd understand if you told them you wanted one bed.

I just returned for a wonderful cruise on the Norwegian Dawn with my family. For reservation purposes DD(5) and I were in a cabin and DS(3) were in an adjoining cabin. When we checked in, we called to have the adjoining door opened and the beds in one cabin put together. No one said anything. The stewards could tell that the kids were in one cabin and we were in the other. I don't think you will have a problem.

You had connecting rooms, not adjoining rooms. There is never a problem when families do this...you didn't even have to split the party names.

We for the first time booked two balcony rooms side by side. We booked each room with one parent and one child. Even though my husband and I will be in one room and kids in the next I was not planning on changing it when we arrived. Doesn't the sea pass cards act as your room key? I want to have access to both rooms and I also want my kids to have access to both rooms. Can anyone clear this up for me.

You are correct and having access is the way to go

also, that means that when the kids or parents go back to the room:

a. They either have to be together...which is good for security purposes

or

b. They have to find one another when whenever one of them wants to go to the room and exchange cards...which may be a hassle

nonetheless, our family of 6 usually sticks close to each other on cruises so we work with it, we don't book balconies because of the excessive smoke fumes from others, but in your case just leaving the balconies unlock could should get you access to the other room.......unless the steward inadvertantly locks them even after you told him to keep them unlocked. Which you may have to emphasize to him/her

Archived