Balcony dining on Ventura

lynne17

Can anyone tell me how much is balcony dining on Ventura. I'm cruising on her this summer and like the idea of balcony dining for a special wedding anniversary evening. Any additional information on balcony dining would be greatly appreciated

Hi Lynne

Welcome to the Cruise Critic Forum.

I have not heard of anyone who has done Balcony Dining so you may not get much information. On board you get a leaflet detailing all the dining arrangements for the cruise, including themed buffets etc. All this says about Balcony Dining is that it has limted availabilty and features selections from The White Room menu. I think you'd have to enquire when you get on board.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Eddie

Firstly, you need to make sure your balcony has a dining table and not just a small side table. We were talking to a couple who were onboard celebrating their golden wedding anniversary, had specifically booked a balcony cabin for this reason, and when they got onboard they only had a small table, so were unable to dine there. When they told reception about this they basically said "tough", they weren't prepared to move furniture round. This couple were very upset obviously, but we saw them later in the cruise and they'd been in the White Room and had a lovely time.

Ann

Most of the balconies on Ventura are very small, and only have a small side-table on them. The balconies on deck C are twice the size, but again, you only get a small table. You need to be in the 'Superior Deluxe Balcony cabin' (decks D & E) to get a table, but these are more expensive cabins. And on Deck D these balconies are comprehensively overlooked by all other balconies above, so anyone dining on one is likely to get ribald comments from half the ship about their menu choices!

I had a C deck balcony on Ventura, which as previously pointed out, completely overlooks the exposed balconies on D deck. The couple below us often used to have their breakfast on their balcony but never saw any one balcony dining in the evening. Most evenings the ship is at sea, with often a breeze blowing over the deck. You also have to consider what time it gets dark. Balcony dining on fjords cruise would be nice for the scenery and long daylight hours but it is probably too cold to sit out side for dining purposes. Also how hot is the food going to be by the time it arrives in your cabin ? IMHO the money would be better spent having a nice meal in the White Room

I have read that the charge is £100 per couple, for which you get food from the White Room menu, a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates.

If the ship is sailing I would think it might be a bit breezy in the evening!

The champagne breakfast looks nice in the photo on Jane's Ventura review, maybe this would make a nice start to the day on your anniversary?

http://www.gocruisewithjane.co.uk Cruise Reviews/ P&O Ventura Review February 2009/ Saturday 21st February 2009

Carol x

Yes agree with above post -£100 per couple.

I have never read of anyone who has actually done the balcony dining on Ventura in the year since she set sail, and I read posts on a few cruise chats sites every day...very strange:rolleyes::confused:

After a hot day the cool sea breeze even in the med could be very off putting.. you cant change your mind like you could in a resturant and move inside if it does get too cold to sit out. At night the ships often cruise faster and this too creates a breeze out on the open decks. I often find even a stroll around the prom a bit chilly. So not sure if a balcony meal is such a good idea. In the caribeen it gets dark early so again why do it there. In the Baltics where it gets dark at midnight it couldbe too cold..

£100 to sit on your own balcony, in a sea breeze.. with staff coming in and out of your cabin to serve you !! always sounded a bit odd to me.

Hi Lynne17,

Do take note that the White Room does have it's own balcony terrace! I would suggest that you book a table here and if the weather is inclement, they will move you to a table indoors. The staff are quite happy to make such an arrangement - we did for our 21st Anniversary cruise last year. However, to add a 'spanner to the works', I would book 'East' (100% dining inside) in preference to the White Room for a really special evening, but still enjoyed the 'White Room'.

You can book a table in the 'White Room' (For any evening of your cruise) via Pando in advance, with a concessionary rate and inclusive bottle of house wine - you then receive a gift card with the tickets when you arrive in your cabin/suite.

H

Archived