Nautica 2006 Asia Cruises

shoshona2

Somehow, what I saw on the Oceania website for their Asian cruises were "free air" and "two-for-one rates", not "early rates" and "two-for-one air fare"! Are we talking about the same thing? In any case, these rates are about the same as what Oceania charges for the Mediterranean and South America on a per diem basis, except that some of the voyages are 24 to 35 days!

It seems that Oceania is specializing on longer and longer itineraries while Silversea, for instance, is offering shorter voyages in the last few years. Can anyone think of the reason for this? Also, if you compare the per diem "brochure list prices" for "PH minisuites" (322 sq.ft.) on Oceania ships, they are quite close to the "brochure list prices" for "verandah suites" (295 to 345 sq.ft.) on Silversea ships in many cases. Of course, Oceania's actual prices are often at close to 50% discount and include "free air", while Silversea's actual prices are at 15 to 50% discount (depending on voyage) and include "all tips and free drinks" instead. So there are speicific voyages (on Silversea special) for which the two lines are getting "pretty close" in pricing. In those cases, it depends on the individual cruiser's own preferences.

The fact that Oceania can increase its prices by roughly $1,000 per person on its typical two-week cruise from the Spring of 2004 to 2005, and add a third ship (the Nautica) for 2005 shows that it is doing very well. The market seems to accept what Oceania offers and that is good. Perhaps other lines should try to learn something from Oceania's (apparent) success. Afterall, competition is in the long run good for the industry, and especially good for the consumers! Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the welcome, Sheila! in reading other posts, I find that there is no comparrison of Silversea to Oceania........we still prefer SS, however, they do not go to Asia when we can........Having just returned from Barcelona-Lisbon on Insignia (or was it Regatta, who can remember?) we found that Oceania offered a decent product..........so we have booked again. Have tried to fly out of LA (for beijing) (with intentions of visiting our son first), but it is too complicated- so we leave from NY! I know it is a long way away, but time passes so quickly these days..........see you onboard!:D

Both are very good products, however, they are different:

Oceania has compact, basic and functional cabins (other than the suites). However, it has a good bed and great food. The service staff are friendly, actually rather jovial, while fellow passengers tend to be folksy. Oceania's strength lies in the "software" (bed, food and service), rather than the "hardware" (tiny washroom and just "night club style" single storeyed show lounge). There are no formal nights. The emphasis is on the ports you visit (good, relatively long itineraries), while the ship provides a nice, casual and comfortable floating hotel to get you there.

Silversea (Shadow/Whisper) has elegant cabins (even for the lowest category), with full bathrooms (double sinks, separate shower and tub, marble/granite clad), walk-in closets (large enough to change in), wall mounted, lighted "make-up" modules (with drawer amd stool), and the bed/sitting areas can be separated by fully drawable curtains. In fact, it has more luxurious trappings than a standard room in the average five-star hotel on land. Moreover, despite its small size, the ship has a tiered, multi-storeyed and multi-purpose theatre. The food is also great (well refined but perhaps less in variety than Oceania's, though caviar and foie gras are liberally supplied). The dining room tables are spaced farther apart, and the library/internet room is designed for more privacy. The service is courteous, if a little reserved. Fellow passengers are polite to one another, but unless you know each other, many tend to "stay with themsleves". There are formal nights, and then you have to be formal. Silversea's strength lies in the "hardware", their ships were custom designed and purposely built for the boutique market at the top of the economic cycle. However, with the recent "hard times" and the necessary cost cutting, some posters reported that the "software" is no longer as "exalted" as a few years ago. Nonetheless, besides the ports visited, some passengers cruise just for its on-board quietness and "exclusive" relaxation.

On average (real market price and not "list price"), a basic balconied cabin (verandah suite) on Silversea costs some 60% more than a basic one (category B) on Oceania, but it also offers 60% more space (345sq.ft. versus 212sq.ft.) However, comparing cabins of similar sizes (Oceania's PH minisuite at 322sq.ft.), Silversea's price may only be around 20% more (Silversea's free drinks, no tips may partly cancel out Oceania's free/reduced airfare). When Silversea offers special sales ("silver sailings" of up to 50% off), the two lines may charge roughly the same, and then it depends on the customers' own preferences. Of course, it also depends on the itinerary and time of year. I hope the above helps! Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Was an avid Silver Seas cruiser, and we loved it, and still do. But we are so happy to have tried Oceania, and we are extremely pleased with it (other than their tour group--Destinations). I can't say enough about the wonderful service of Oceania. I think that Watters (formerly w/Crystal) and Del Rio (formerly VP with Rennaisance with whom we never sailed) have the right thing going.

I almost hate to advertise the wonderful service, accommodations, etc. on Oceania--they might start charging like Silver Seas. I disagree that the no tips and liquor costs make up the difference as stated in a previous post. Loved the stocked liquor in our stateroom on Silver Seas, and I think the prices are somewhat out of line on Oceania, but it still doesn't make up the difference in cost. Now, the Business Class air is a factor to consider. Oceania is outrageous, whereas SS is quite in line.

I find that on Oceania we are truly getting a wonderful experience and a very relaxing cruise. Country Club casual. Love it. Love formal, but of course, nothing nicer than "relaxing" on a vacation. Thanks Oceania--you are doing great.

Now this is not a detailed comment, but it is from the "heart."

(Silversea's free drinks, no tips may partly cancel out Oceania's free/reduced airfare).

Perhaps you misunderstood my statement, I meant Silversea's free drinks, no tips PARTLY cancel out Oceania's free/reduced AIRFARE. The two lines still charge different fares for sure, but when Silversea has its 50% off "silver sailing", on certain itineraries, its price gets ROUGHLY the same as Oceania's PH minisuite (similar in size to Silversea's verandah suite). Part of the reason is because Silversea has very different per diem rates for different itineraries, while Oceania tends to charge roughly similar per diem rates for different goegraphic locations. In the last year or two, Oceania's price has increased substantially (typically by $1000 per person for a two-week cruise, which, incidentally shows that Oceania is selling very well), while the "true boutique ships" (Seabourne, Silversea and RSSC and perhaps Crystal) are offering heftier discounts (probably due to oversupply and fierce competition, with 7000 berths among them in that small market segment).

As for which is more worthwhile, it depends on individual preferences, and as I have said at the beginning of my last posting, "they are both very good products ... "

Meow, very nice evaluation. I've been on SS and Crystal, and they are excellent. Mr. Watters has a great philosophy, and I know that he will do well with Oceania. We were on Crystal when they debuted.

I can't tell you, however, how pleased we were with Oceania. I hope they keep up the good work (with more reasonable tour service).

Archived