What is a good underwater camera to buy?

Hi all. I had an underwater housing unit for ~4 years for the Cannon A610 until my last trip it leaked !! I loved taking pictures underwater and also short movies on the through the feature on the camera. What I did not like was that it was bulky and the fact that if it did leak, I'd not only loose the housing unit but also the camera (actually after drying out the camera, it actually still works!).

So, now it is time for me to get a new camera for underwater and I want an underwater camera not a housing unit. Does anyone have any good reccommendations of a camera that takes good quality pictures underwater (and above too!), ability to take 30sec - 2 min movies underwater as well. If so, please share your comments!

Hi all. I had an underwater housing unit for ~4 years for the Cannon A610 until my last trip it leaked !! I loved taking pictures underwater and also short movies on the through the feature on the camera. What I did not like was that it was bulky and the fact that if it did leak, I'd not only loose the housing unit but also the camera (actually after drying out the camera, it actually still works!).

So, now it is time for me to get a new camera for underwater and I want an underwater camera not a housing unit. Does anyone have any good reccommendations of a camera that takes good quality pictures underwater (and above too!), ability to take 30sec - 2 min movies underwater as well. If so, please share your comments!

I just read an article on a new Panasonic sports camera that seems like it passes up most of the image issues with the Olympus (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/OST6000/OST6000A.HTM) and Pentax (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W60/W60A.HTM) cams.

Lumix TS1: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/TS1/TS1A.HTM

Canon has also released the new D10 waterproof PowerShot: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D10/D10A.HTM

The canon won't hit the streets until early May, but could be a great new contender in this class of "tough" cameras.

Dave

Thanks both of you guys! I appreciate it and will look at all the links you provided. I'm very pleased with my current Canon so I may lean that way but am interested in user reviews, which will take time since the camera is not for sale yet. My cruise is the first week of Sept so I have a bit of time.

Bruce-r - I did the housing unit and enjoyed it but it was bulky and I'd rather not have the "leak" issue again. After it leaked I noticed an indent in the yellow rubber sealing, and have no idea how that happened, but I'm 100% sure that was the cause. I'd just prefer to go a different route this time. I imagine in another 3-5 years the waterproof cameras will be much better.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce-r - I did the housing unit and enjoyed it but it was bulky and I'd rather not have the "leak" issue again. After it leaked I noticed an indent in the yellow rubber sealing, and have no idea how that happened, but I'm 100% sure that was the cause. I'd just prefer to go a different route this time. I imagine in another 3-5 years the waterproof cameras will be much better.

Question: did you use silicon with the housing every time you shut it? That creates a really nice seal that helps prevent failure.

Also, the o-ring probably should be replaced. They are not the cheapest things in the world (about 20 bucks), but when you consider the cost of a new camera, I consider it an insurance policy.

I am very interested in the new canon underwater camera. I have a birthday and our 5 year anniversary coming up in May, I think it is time to start laying hints for what I want :o :p :D

Archived