Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

The pursar on the ship will exchange dollars into Euros, there is a $10 fee. They will not, however, change large bills into smaller ones.

I am getting over my post cruise depression, we were at my brother's house yesterday and started discussing where to cruise/vacation to at the end of the summer---I am perking up again :-)

Yeah! I'm glad you are feeling better. I was really beginning to worry about this post cruise let down thing. We send you people off and then you disappear. I feel used. Just kidding ;)

It's very easy to reach Sliema. When you get to the Valletta Bus Terminus, on the right (facing Valletta) are the buses to Sliema. The most frequent is the number 62. However, ask which is the first bus to the Sliema Ferries. The trip takes about 20 min.

I would ask some passenger to tell you where to stop as sometimes the drivers seem in a world of their own. Lots of people get off at this stop and the bus ends up half empty. At the Ferries there are lots of shops (international and especially British chains) and cafes.

Try and sit on the right of the bus and you'll see the boats in the sea.

If you can book in advance, it might be a good idea as very often there are lots of people waiting to board.

I'm back!!!!!!!!

Had a great time. I'm experiencing the body swaying and we are still experience jet lag.

I don't have time to get caught up on the posts from the last couple weeks but ask questions if you want. However, I'll be here sporadically as I need to work. It's my first day back.

Deb - did you and Phil get back okay?

I'm back!!!!!!!!

Had a great time. I'm experiencing the body swaying and we are still experience jet lag.

I don't have time to get caught up on the posts from the last couple weeks but ask questions if you want. However, I'll be here sporadically as I need to work. It's my first day back.

It's kind of like we have been sending people off into the abyss to never return. I think I'm the last one to go out of our beginning group and I'm beginning to worry about what shape I'll be in when I get back:eek:.

Just start at the beginning and let us highlights of each spot as you feel like it. Bannda will be leaving tomorrow, so tonight will be her last night, then I leave next weekend.

I hope you had a WONDERFUL time.

It's kind of like we have been sending people off into the abyss to never return. I think I'm the last one to go out of our beginning group and I'm beginning to worry about what shape I'll be in when I get back:eek:.

Just start at the beginning and let us highlights of each spot as you feel like it. Bannda will be leaving tomorrow, so tonight will be her last night, then I leave next weekend.

I hope you had a WONDERFUL time.

Recovery from this trip has been hard. The jet lag has been difficult. We were up for 24 hours by the time we arrived home. We had delays at JFK. Got home slept for a few hours and went north to our lake home to rest up for two days.

A few highlights:

Florence - loved it. I would have liked more time there. Seeing the David, was like seeing the Sistine Chapel two years ago... brought tears to my eyes, I was speechless and overcome with emotion.

Courtyard Villa - loved it and cannot imagine a future cruise without it.

Barcelona - we took the train to Montserrat. Absolutely beautiful and worth the trip.

Gem - is now our favorite ship in decor and layout. Some marginal or weird service in the restaurants a couple of times, but nothing to ruin our cruise.

Grand Pacific Main Dining Room - is beautiful

Malta - do not miss seeing the Mosta Dome. We lucked out as we made it there before it closed which was at 12:00. Once inside be sure to circle around. As you face the alter on the left side is a door that leads to seeing the bomb. We almost missed it.

Rome - been there before so went to Tarquinia instead. Ended up at a winery with open pour and lunch of bruschetta, sun-dried tomato, bread, jams, jellies, liquors. Also visited a lovely museum and estrucans burial sites.

Gem beds and linens - are to die for.

Roll call - finally being able to meet the people we had been talking to prior to the trip. Plus, spending time with Deb and Phil (Mickeysgal), enjoying a couple of dinners, drinks and cheese and crackers in our room and sharing a taxi tour in Malta.

And finally, coming home to my kids, dog, extended family and this great country of ours. Love Europe, but it's always comforting to be back on our soil.

Will write more again later.

Are you sure the beds were that great or were you just that tired ;) Did you use the spa? Have not heard from MG, and Missi has fallen off the boards. Bannda should visit a little while after her night out with the girls so I can wish her a happy bon voyage.

Recovery from this trip has been hard. The jet lag has been difficult. We were up for 24 hours by the time we arrived home. We had delays at JFK. Got home slept for a few hours and went north to our lake home to rest up for two days.

A few highlights:

Florence - loved it. I would have liked more time there. Seeing the David, was like seeing the Sistine Chapel two years ago... brought tears to my eyes, I was speechless and overcome with emotion.

Courtyard Villa - loved it and cannot imagine a future cruise without it.

Barcelona - we took the train to Montserrat. Absolutely beautiful and worth the trip.

Gem - is now our favorite ship in decor and layout. Some marginal or weird service in the restaurants a couple of times, but nothing to ruin our cruise.

Grand Pacific Main Dining Room - is beautiful

Malta - do not miss seeing the Mosta Dome. We lucked out as we made it there before it closed which was at 12:00. Once inside be sure to circle around. As you face the alter on the left side is a door that leads to seeing the bomb. We almost missed it.

Rome - been there before so went to Tarquinia instead. Ended up at a winery with open pour and lunch of bruschetta, sun-dried tomato, bread, jams, jellies, liquors. Also visited a lovely museum and estrucans burial sites.

Gem beds and linens - are to die for.

Roll call - finally being able to meet the people we had been talking to prior to the trip. Plus, spending time with Deb and Phil (Mickeysgal), enjoying a couple of dinners, drinks and cheese and crackers in our room and sharing a taxi tour in Malta.

And finally, coming home to my kids, dog, extended family and this great country of ours. Love Europe, but it's always comforting to be back on our soil.

Will write more again later.

Thanks so much for the highlights! It sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see the ship. This is our first cruise and it sounds like we picked a great ship for it!

I'm dreading the jet lag. How rough was yours going over?

Are you sure the beds were that great or were you just that tired ;) Did you use the spa? Have not heard from MG, and Missi has fallen off the boards. Bannda should visit a little while after her night out with the girls so I can wish her a happy bon voyage.

Well, it looks like no girls night for me tonight. :o( I have too much to do to be able to go. Unfortunately, I've spent the better part of the last two days dealing with dental work gone wrong. It took away from all my packing and organizing time.

So I'll check in around 9:00 (Easter) this evening to say goodbye.

At least I'll have time in the morning to get things done before we head out.

I'm back!!!!!!!!

I'm here. :)

Having a hard time kicking the no more cruise blues. I haven't really even unpacked yet. I've promised myself that I'm not going to unpack until I reorganize my closet. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Been thrown back into work - it hardly feels like I've been gone already. :( It's been a crazy week already.

Let me tell you, if there is one thing I want from that cruise...it is those beds and pillows. I really, really want one. Seriously.

We had a great time with the both of you. You both were key to making our cruise that much special. Wish we could do it again sometime.

Hi Daring! :) I've been reading Mississippi's trip report. You're going to LOVE your trip.

We were only in the Spa area to book DH's acupucture.

The beds were that great. Our trip was a combination of touring but combined with a lot of R & R. Since we've been to these areas before and have done a similar itinerary, we took things slower. Our fastest and longest day was Florence, otherwise we spent time slowly in each port, doing a lot of wandering, enjoying sidewalk cafes, gelatto etc. Afternoons, were spent in the Courtyard Villa poolside, drink in hand or napping. I also enjoyed being in our large bathtub with bubbles, glass of wine overlooking the ocean. The hammocks on the 15th deck were perfect too.

I'm anxious to hear from everyone too. Where are you Deb?

I'm here. :)

Hi Daring! :) I've been reading Mississippi's trip report. You're going to LOVE your trip.

BUDDY! Missed you! Hope you guys have time to talk later. Gota do dinner.

So give me some highlights and I guess you didn't do the spa thing either.

You mean highlights of why we are laughing about the acupucture????

It's a cute story beginning with Deb's massage, followed by my DH's acupucture and all having to do with the hard sell that happens afterwards. Then there was my DH's initial apprehension to having the acupucture to begin with. He won it at the Latitudes Party. Plus, Phil can throw some hilarious one liners that gets you laughing until you cry. Basically, my DH's free acupucture turned into a $95.00 bottle of pills during the hard sell as well as a big tip too. I'll let Deb tell her side of the story. We had some good laughs!!!!

Hey daring,

The spa was wonderful and worth every penny to me and my husband. Hot stone beds, aroma therapy steam suana, hot sauna, therapy pool.....we miss that the most being back for a week and a half now. I have a ton on photos of it if you're interested, the price did go up to $99 per person for the week though.

Hey daring,

The spa was wonderful and worth every penny to me and my husband. Hot stone beds, aroma therapy steam suana, hot sauna, therapy pool.....we miss that the most being back for a week and a half now. I have a ton on photos of it if you're interested, the price did go up to $99 per person for the week though.

Sure, I'd love to see the pictures and I think I will enjoy the spa after a long day or maybe have my coffee there in the morning. But, it doesn't open till 8 AM does it?

Got a point, can think of a million things that I would like to win before having pins stuck in me.

Deb - did you go back to work on Monday? We were in lousy shape. But, we were delayed in JFK for an hour and half. We didn't arrive in MPLS until 10:00 p.m. which meant our body time was somewhere in the wee hours of the morning.

After we left you at your gate in Barcelona, we went to ours, which was downstairs in this really old, horrible area. Hoards of people and it was hot and very few chairs. Finally, they start boarding the plane which meant walking outside to get in a bus to drive to the plane, much like when we arrived in Barcelona. Anyway, we're waiting in line, present our boarding pass and they deny us boarding, said we by-passed a security point. Had to run upstairs, find an information booth with a Delta representative, go thru a security check, run back downstairs, to get on the last bus to the plane. We made it but it was scary and frustrating.

Here's the lesson for those doing carry on luggage in Barcelona... you still have to go to the main terminal check in (where you would present your checked luggage), even if you have boarding passes that you printed from the internet. They don't take those boarding passes but don't tell you that when you pass thru the first security area or immigration.

Okay, so here's a hint for those of you that soon will be returning from your cruise. Last night, first dinner at home which is horrible to begin with. Haven't done any grocery shopping so end up thawing hamburger, browned it and added the dreaded Ragu bottle. Ya know, Ragu is really a good product until you come home from Italy and a cruise. At that point, it's a really depressing meal. Added some wine but that didn't help the matter at all. So, plan ahead and don't make spaghetti for your first meal at home.

Okay, so here's a hint for those of you that soon will be returning from your cruise. Last night, first dinner at home which is horrible to begin with. Haven't done any grocery shopping so end up thawing hamburger, browned it and added the dreaded Ragu bottle. Ya know, Ragu is really a good product until you come home from Italy and a cruise. At that point, it's a really depressing meal. Added some wine but that didn't help the matter at all. So, plan ahead and don't make spaghetti for your first meal at home.

That's funny. Maybe I'll plan to eat out that night. Hopefully I won't be to traumatized over my oatmeal or cereal the next morning. :)

Actually the other day my husband did the most wonderfull spaghetti with the pesto we brought from our last cruise. :D Well, it was tagliatelli but it's almost like spaghetti. He just cooked some prawns in olive oil and garlic, added the pesto and on top of the tagliatelli. So there you have, a quick mediterranean meal with a "cruise flavour". :p

Sure, I'd love to see the pictures and I think I will enjoy the spa after a long day or maybe have my coffee there in the morning. But, it doesn't open till 8 AM does it?

Got a point, can think of a million things that I would like to win before having pins stuck in me.

The spa opened and closed at different times depending on the port, it was lovely. It usuall opened early enough and stayed open late enough to usefrequently.

http://pandi77.smugmug.com/gallery/8355347_NfDWb/1/547948695_8jKrz

Archived