Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

Well,

one - I'm a woman of 63. As we live in Europe we have travelled round it extensively. So very few of the Ports of Call are new to us.

two - I've already been on my cruise and yes the cruise director would be ideal. Better than many of the ones we see for sure. They seem so stiff and artificial. He must say the same things every cruise , every day and yet he seems so natural and spontaneous.

If any of you are prone to sea sickness - each time we leave the French Riviera for Barcelona, just before dinner time the sea gets rough. I take a pill as soon as I feel the ship start to roll and feel fine and enjoy my last dinner.

I don't give the sickness a chance to develop as I take the meds promptly but those you aren't prepared have a very unpleasant last night.

If any of you are prone to sea sickness - each time we leave the French Riviera for Barcelona, just before dinner time the sea gets rough.
Have others noticed this as well? We're going to be on the Gem in less than two weeks (7/12 from Barcelona) and two of our group are prone to motion sickness.

I did a western Med cruise several years ago, but in the other direction (clockwise), and didn't notice any difference in the seas going from Barcelona to southern France.

I am very prone to motion sickness and just can't believe that I have found something so simple, that really works! It's ginger root. A friend of mine had some left over from her cruise and suggested I start taking it a couple of days before we left. I was skeptical but was willing to try anything. You can buy these at the pharmacy with the herbs and vitamins. I only took a couple each day before we left and would have taken a couple more had I not forgotten. :o A couple of hours into the cruise, the feeling started and I immediately kicked myself for fororgetting and took two right away and proceeded to prepare for dinner. :( By the time dinner was over I had totally forgotten that I had that moment of queasiness. The next couple of days I remembered to take them out of fear and then became comfortable and only remembered to take them every once in a while, but the motion sickness never returned. Hooray. Next, I'm going to try them on a trip to the mountains, I may even try one of those crazy theme park rides. By the way, I also grabbed a little ginger to nibble on at the sushi bar every time I passed by. :cool:

I am very prone to motion sickness and just can't believe that I have found something so simple, that really works! It's ginger root. A friend of mine had some left over from her cruise and suggested I start taking it a couple of days before we left. I was skeptical but was willing to try anything. You can buy these at the pharmacy with the herbs and vitamins. I only took a couple each day before we left and would have taken a couple more had I not forgotten. :o A couple of hours into the cruise, the feeling started and I immediately kicked myself for fororgetting and took two right away and proceeded to prepare for dinner. :( By the time dinner was over I had totally forgotten that I had that moment of queasiness. The next couple of days I remembered to take them out of fear and then became comfortable and only remembered to take them every once in a while, but the motion sickness never returned. Hooray. Next, I'm going to try them on a trip to the mountains, I may even try one of those crazy theme park rides. By the way, I also grabbed a little ginger to nibble on at the sushi bar every time I passed by. :cool:

It's funny but I have used Ginger for vertigo and when my stomach is upset but never on a cruise. I usually use the patch. But this cruise, I will still take my patch with me in case but I am going to rely on ginger and see how I make out.

By the way your pictures are beautiful. What kind of camera do you have?

Judi

It's funny but I have used Ginger for vertigo and when my stomach is upset but never on a cruise. I usually use the patch. But this cruise' date=' I will still take my patch with me in case but I am going to rely on ginger and see how I make out.

By the way your pictures are beautiful. What kind of camera do you have?

Judi[/quote']

Thanks, it's a Cannon.

We are due on the Gem on the 19th July, starting from Barca. I'm in a wheelchair and have never cruised before, so have some reservations on getting around. For those that have done this before have you any tips\thoughts on which of the excursions\trips would be wheelchair friendly, or are there any to avoid?

Hi HighlandHammer,

I'm able bodied but the Gem class ships are good for wheelchair access. Some of the cabins are larger and designed to cater for wheelchair users, so please try and make sure that you have one of these.

In terms of the tours, NCL knows that it will have wheelchair users amongst its guests and has a reasonable selection. Look for tours that are graded one and have a wheelchair symbol. If you come unstuck, the tours team at NCL in the US are a great help.

If you are looking to do a tour in Florence, that's one place I'd really query options as when I did an NCL tour there recently the tour buses all had to stop a bit outside the city then we had a bit of a walk before we reached the centre. The groups were quite large and the pavements narrow.

Edited to add: I'm guessing that you are European, probably Scottish, given the user name and the fact that you refer to Barcelona as Barca. I find it helpful to call NCL in the US direct from the UK, rather than calling NCL UK and use budgetcom to do it as its only 1p per minute that way.

Hi HighlandHammer,

I'm able bodied but the Gem class ships are good for wheelchair access. Some of the cabins are larger and designed to cater for wheelchair users, so please try and make sure that you have one of these.

In terms of the tours, NCL knows that it will have wheelchair users amongst its guests and has a reasonable selection. Look for tours that are graded one and have a wheelchair symbol. If you come unstuck, the tours team at NCL in the US are a great help.

If you are looking to do a tour in Florence, that's one place I'd really query options as when I did an NCL tour there recently the tour buses all had to stop a bit outside the city then we had a bit of a walk before we reached the centre. The groups were quite large and the pavements narrow.

Edited to add: I'm guessing that you are European, probably Scottish, given the user name and the fact that you refer to Barcelona as Barca. I find it helpful to call NCL in the US direct from the UK, rather than calling NCL UK and use budgetcom to do it as its only 1p per minute that way.

Ace - thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll give them a ring. Spot on with your guess - from the Highlands of Caithness :)

Hope you have a wonderful holiday Hammer! Forgot to mention, you may also want to ask them how they disembark wheelchair passengers for the tender operation in Cannes. I understand there's a specific method for doing this, but haven't seen it.

Also on the sea day, there will be a tours presentation, it may be worth attending, as well as making yourselves known to the tour desk once you've arrived onboard. That way they can be fully aware of any specific needs you have and also you get to see what the offering is (at the presentation) and make sure you're certain you've chosen the right tour for you.

As you're new to CC, you may not know that there are roll call boards where you can meet other people on your sailing. You may want to check those out also.

That's about all, sorry, brain frazzled from heat here! Its 11pm and its still almost 28 degrees (82 in fahrenheit) indoors with windows open and no AC.

Is the Oprah cruise still going on or is that over? I wonder if we'll hear from anyone that was one it.

Has anyone gotten any Latitudes information? This was our first NCL cruise and we bought a future cruise credit. I sort of assumed that I'd get something in the mail regarding Latitues/future cruise credit.

WhyKnotMe...if you're out there...HI!!

My first cruise and my first post here! We are booked on the sailing from Barcelona October 25th. I just wanted to say that I am very excited! I`m on this site almost every evening and it has been a great help. I hope I can give something back to someone and share my experience when we get off that boat.

My impression is that it is mostly Americans here? Anybody from Europe? Northern Europe? Scandinavia maybe?

As a matter of fact I have been cruising the Norwegian coast on Hurtigruten, The Norwegian Costal Express. It was wonderful and I`ll do it any time I have the opportunity.

But for now - Norwegian Gem and the Mediterranean! Looking so much forward to it. My husband, my son and his wife is travelling with me and I think we will have a great time.

Is the Oprah cruise still going on or is that over? I wonder if we'll hear from anyone that was one it.

Has anyone gotten any Latitudes information? This was our first NCL cruise and we bought a future cruise credit. I sort of assumed that I'd get something in the mail regarding Latitues/future cruise credit.

WhyKnotMe...if you're out there...HI!!

Yup, I'm still here!!!! Hi to you two too!!!

How's that kitchen decision making coming?

My first cruise and my first post here! We are booked on the sailing from Barcelona October 25th. I just wanted to say that I am very excited! I`m on this site almost every evening and it has been a great help. I hope I can give something back to someone and share my experience when we get off that boat.

My impression is that it is mostly Americans here? Anybody from Europe? Northern Europe? Scandinavia maybe?

As a matter of fact I have been cruising the Norwegian coast on Hurtigruten, The Norwegian Costal Express. It was wonderful and I`ll do it any time I have the opportunity.

But for now - Norwegian Gem and the Mediterranean! Looking so much forward to it. My husband, my son and his wife is travelling with me and I think we will have a great time.

I am American also but I must tell you that I would love to visit you country and do a cruise there. Maybe some day I will be able to!!

We are on the Gem the first week in October. Jut a few weeks before you.

Judi

Yup, I'm still here!!!! Hi to you two too!!!

How's that kitchen decision making coming?

Hey there! How are you both? Everyone enjoying summer? You can still email me, if you'd like. :)

The kitchen...it's coming along. We're in the final design stage. We should be ordering by this coming weekend. Just last minute jitters...is the layout right, is the color right, what are we missing, are we overdoing it (probably), is this smart in this economy (yes and no), etc. etc. I just shudder to think about packing up the kitchen during the tear out. I've been bringing boxes home from work in preparation. It's not going to be easy, it never is.

Bet you're sorry you asked. ;)

What about you? Is an Alaska cruise in your immediate future?

Mickeysgal - just to console you. We are planning on having our kitchen done too BUT we also are planning on changing a bathroom !!!!

I am from Europe - though the Southern end. Most posters are from America/Canada. From what I've gathered from CC , most european cruisers choose the Italian ships so even on the NCL ships in the Med you'll find most of the passengers are American .

If Oprah took anyone on that cruise from the 21st through the 5th, the legal department would've told them they couldn't talk about it. ;)

If Oprah took anyone on that cruise from the 21st through the 5th, the legal department would've told them they couldn't talk about it. ;)

Nuts. I just wanted to know if it was a spectacular time. :cool: ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been too busy with work and school but have not forgot about you guys. Stay in touch. Wish I could go back to the Med. and thinking about Greece in Aug. 2010. What about you. I have my picture in Cannes with Clint's hand prints on my screen at work. Ahhhh! Oh how I love that man of mine. :D

Hi everyone -

First I want to thank all of you for taking the time to post all of the valuable information, which I took extensive notes on. We are 19 of us going on the Gem next month, and I love, love ,love, planning this trip. We are flying into Barcelona a couple of days early, staying at the Grand Hotel Central. We recently discovered that Saturday is a holiday (the Assumption), and so I think we may have a hard time making a restaurant reservation for that night. All of the churches, etc. seem to be open though. We are thinking about not doing the HOHO bus, because it will be so hot, and there is no AC on it. We have Rome in Limo booked for the three Italy days - we need three vans, so three drivers, any recommendations would be great (I read a recent review that said that a couple of their drivers were not the best). We are going to try to stop by a town on the way to Sorrento, because that is where my great grandparents are from; my parents are coming on this trip, so it should be really special for them. Some of us are in the penthouse suites, so I am thinking that they will be able to arrange a family dinner for all of us each night - otherwise, I think that 19 people will be hard to make reservations for.

Keep all of that great info coming!!!

Can't wait...

mapsmom

Archived