Room service and leaving the ship on the last day

sunsetter425

Hi - I've learned so much from reading these boards. Thank you for all your help. We will be on the NCL Dawn in May for our first cruise. If we order room service, who will bring our food? Our Steward or someone else? Do most people tip them a few extra $$ or does that come under the umbrella of the "service charge"? We are in a balcony room. Also on the last day we arrive back in NY docking at 8 a.m. I remember reading that there is "no rush" to get off but I'm sure they want us off eventually to get ready for the next cruise. What is the probable time that we should have our ride pick us up?

It's customary to tip the waiter 2 or 3 bucks for delivery. I have never noticed a "service charge" added to my bill, and the person delivering was never my room steward but a waiter/waitress just for room service.

As far as disembarking, I would tell my ride not to get to the pier before 9:30 AM if your ship begins debarkation at 8:00 AM. It can get a little crowded with everyone getting off the boat at once. You will be assigned a color-code and a waiting area to sit in until your color is called. Then you'll move to the exit. A ship representative will be there to make sure the waiting area is cleaned out, so you won't be able to lounge around. There's really no way to guarantee when you'll be allowed to leave the ship unless you have priority debarkation or choose to carry off your luggage rather than check bags on the last night of the cruise.

Hi - I've learned so much from reading these boards. Thank you for all your help. We will be on the NCL Dawn in May for our first cruise. If we order room service, who will bring our food? Our Steward or someone else? Do most people tip them a few extra $$ or does that come under the umbrella of the "service charge"? We are in a balcony room. Also on the last day we arrive back in NY docking at 8 a.m. I remember reading that there is "no rush" to get off but I'm sure they want us off eventually to get ready for the next cruise. What is the probable time that we should have our ride pick us up?

You will find tons of info on the NCL board and can ask anything re your your particular ship and itinerary. You'll get the most accurate anwers from those that cruise that line.

By the way, altho you can stay on the ship until the last call in a public area, you DO have to leave your room early enough so the staff and start getting ready for the next passengers. A 9:00 pick up would be reasonable.

You will find tons of info on the NCL board and can ask anything re your your particular ship and itinerary. You'll get the most accurate anwers from those that cruise that line.

By the way, altho you can stay on the ship until the last call in a public area, you DO have to leave your room early enough so the staff and start getting ready for the next passengers. A 9:00 pick up would be reasonable.

No in fact you do not have to leave your room early on NCL you can stay in it till your group is called, of course the Steward would LIKE you to leave before that but you don't have too.

They do not make you wait in public areas.

To the OP:

Last call is usually between 10 and 10:30 to get off.

you DO tip the person delivering room service these are employees doing this on their own time to make extra money and they are not covered by the tip pool. $1 to $5 or so depending on whether you are ordering coffee or an entire meal, use your judgement.

Why not stay and enjoy a breakfast in Venetian? We do that every time. And, by the time we have finished eating, get back to the cabin to finish last minute packing, and make our way to the gangway, there is no crowd at all. That's usually around 10:00 or so. If you don't have an early flight, trust me, stay on board as long as you can. No crowds.

We sailed on the Dawn (from Miami) on March 21. We did easy walk off for our luggage, and it worked out very well. We were off the ship around 8:45 a.m., waited a while for our van to the airport (which was a zoo). We had room service that last morning - it wasn't rushed and we took our time. We had room service a few mornings and always tipped $2.00. When you write on your order slip that you want breakfast at 7:30 a.m. - it's there right on time. (and they call before to tell you it's on the way).

Archived