Formal Evenings

Billybonds

My wife and I will be sailing on the Azure in October to Barbados, would I be right in assuming that only those who have selected Club Dining need wear the formal attire on Formal evenings and those who have opted for Freedom Dining can dress as they wish, within reason of course.

We are not sure which we prefer but if we opt for Freedom Dining I dont want to be sitting there in my tux looking like a wannabe Club Diner.

The dress code of the day applies to all bars and restaurants from 6pm. Freedom dining is no different from Club dining. The restaurant layout is the same, menu is the same, food is the same from the same kitchen, the only difference is that you are free to dine at the time of your choosing between 6pm and 10pm, whereas on Club dining you are at the same table each day, either first or second sitting.

There is also the option for either to dine in the self service where there is normally a themed buffet, or the select (pay) restaurants.

Brian

As usual Brian has stated clearly a very good answer to your question.

On a formal night 95% of men will be wearing a tux and the remaining men a lounge suit, you will not be out of place anywhere on the ship in a tux on formal night.

You would be out of place in non-formal wear!:)

Thank you all very much, I am glad I asked the question now, being new to cruising I have not got the foggiest about procedure on board well thats superb so I get to wear my tux and she who must be obeyed her posh frock whichever option we choose.

By the way what an excellent site this is cant keep off it.

• 2 weeks later...

Iknow i am the same not very good at finding my way round site but finding you all and reading what you have said is very helpful.My husband does not like wearing suits but i love to dress up ,.Is a good smart suit ok to wear as it would be a waste of money to buy a tux as this will be our first cruise and we might not take to it.Thanks

Iknow i am the same not very good at finding my way round site but finding you all and reading what you have said is very helpful.My husband does not like wearing suits but i love to dress up ,.Is a good smart suit ok to wear as it would be a waste of money to buy a tux as this will be our first cruise and we might not take to it.Thanks

My suggestion is not to bother with a tux, but to buy a black suit most passengers won't notice its not a tux, then you can a make use of it if you decide not to Cruise again. M/S outlets do black suits for around £75 its an easy purchase to make and good value.

Yeah between 90-95% I look around the room on these nights and 'nearly all' the men are in tux , with the odd man in a suit dotted about. I am not gonna count them and work out the exact percentage, as I am on holiday and drinking my freebie gin and tonics!;)

My brother-in-law wears an ordinary black lounge suit but with a dress shirt and bow-tie and I bet hardly anyone notices it is not a "proper" dinner jacket.

My husband however has gone completely over the top with a black DJ suit, a cream tuxedo with dress trousers, every style of dress shirt (wing collar, fold down collar, buttons, studs...), bow-ties and cuff-links to colour co-ordinate with each of my dresses...!!!

Wear whatever you enjoy wearing, but you would struggle to be OVER-dressed.

Carol x

My brother-in-law wears an ordinary black lounge suit but with a dress shirt and bow-tie and I bet hardly anyone notices it is not a "proper" dinner jacket.

My husband however has gone completely over the top with a black DJ suit, a cream tuxedo with dress trousers, every style of dress shirt (wing collar, fold down collar, buttons, studs...), bow-ties and cuff-links to colour co-ordinate with each of my dresses...!!!

Carol x

Very humourous.

Carol x

You want to watch him Carol, no man should be that interested in colour co-ordinateing his outfit with his partners dresses. It's the thin end of the wedge, nip it in the bud.

It would have to be a very long wedge! Normally I have to check he's even bothered to shave before we go out, for some reason he seems convinced I find the "Johnny Vegas" scruffy slob look attractive...:(.

Carol x

My suggestion is not to bother with a tux, but to buy a black suit most passengers won't notice its not a tux, then you can a make use of it if you decide not to Cruise again. M/S outlets do black suits for around £75 its an easy purchase to make and good value.

M&S also sell tuxedos for £50 so that would be a saving of £25

M&S also sell tuxedos for £50 so that would be a saving of £25

My thinking is that if you only Cruise once then your not going to get much wear out of a tux, where as a black suit can used again if only for funerals. Its a matter of considering if its worth getting a tux for one holiday trip, but at £50 I supose its a disposable purchase.

My thinking is that if you only Cruise once then your not going to get much wear out of a tux, where as a black suit can used again if only for funerals. Its a matter of considering if its worth getting a tux for one holiday trip, but at £50 I supose its a disposable purchase.

If you want disposable George in Asda had them at £35. Nice linings on them but I felt a right fool in it. ( even DW said it didn't suit me) Definitely not for me.

Berwyn

I'll be honest, this issue did cause me some angst before our first cruise. I barely had a suit, let alone a dinner jacket. I work from home so don't need to wear normal office clothing.

But we duly went out and bought a dinner suite from M&S before the cruise, and put it on for the first formal night on our first cruise. This was MSC, and was also first sitting, and we really didn't know what to expect. My wife bought a long dress, the first she'd had for years. I still remember how nervous we were before that first formal dinner. In the event, of course, there was nothing to worry about. We had been misled a bit by the casual dress of passengers during the daytimes; once we got to the dining room we found that a large number of people were formally dressed. We'd forgotten that the Italians love to dress up, and of course the Germans (the second largest national group on board) will always follow the rules! I don't think I've yet seen dresses to match those worn by the Italian women on Sinfonia on those two formal nights. The cruise may have been budget, but the wardrobes clearly weren't....

Since then I've always been pleased to wear the dinner suit, to the point where we actively look for cruise that do formal dining, e.g. P&O, Celebrity & Fred Olsen. It's also comfortable. which is a definite plus. It doesn't get a lot of wear, but that just means it will last a good long time. No regrets here.

Before our 1st cruise,hubby wasn't going to get a a tux, it was supposed to be just a 'one-off' cruise anyway....but as it got nearer he changed his mind, as by then I had been on these cruise boards for 6-10months finding out about cruising and I told him how many men would have one, so he decided he didn't want to be the odd one out NOT wearing one.

Well, that tux has paid for itself and is worn much more than a equivalent suit which comes out for weddings and funerals. We had 5 formals alone on our last cruise and this year will have 4/5 over 2 cruises. Some tuxs can cost as little as £35 and as much £400, do look at Slaters Menswear they have a website and have formal mens rails with tuxs from £50 upwards and different styles, cuts and designers. The website will show you where their stores are, and they do free alterations for those with a 33" waist or needed leg adjustments. He is also the owner of a white jacket now as well for black and white night.and that was purchased before cruise no.1 as well!

Well, that tux has paid for itself and is worn much more than a equivalent suit which comes out for weddings and funerals. We had 5 formals alone on our last cruise and this year will have 4/5 over 2 cruises. Some tuxs can cost as little as £35 and as much £400, do look at Slaters Menswear they have a website and have formal mens rails with tuxs from £50 upwards and different styles, cuts and designers. The website will show you where their stores are, and they do free alterations for those with a 33" waist or needed leg adjustments. He is also the owner of a white jacket now as well for black and white night.and that was purchased before cruise no.1 as well!

Why call it a "tux" when you aren't American?

A dress suit can cost very significantly more than £400, even an off the peg one. With a good bespoke suit you may was well add a nought to your figure - and that is before you start choosing expensive cloth!

Why call it a "tux" when you aren't American?

A dress suit can cost very significantly more than £400, even an off the peg one. With a good bespoke suit you may was well add a nought to your figure - and that is before you start choosing expensive cloth!

"Tux" is easier and quicker to type !

Where do you shop for your clothes ?

If you have paid more than £400 for a "Dress Suit" I would say you have more money than sense !

"Tux" is easier and quicker to type !

Where do you shop for your clothes ?

If you have paid more than £400 for a "Dress Suit" I would say you have more money than sense !

Ah! The good old "easier and quicker and who cares about the accuracy" point. "Tux" is simply wrong in English - albeit perfectly acceptable in American.

If you could tell me where I can get a bespoke suit for £400 I would be grateful. Or do you only deal in "off the peg"?

I'm willing to put a fair sum on the wager that you wear a ready tied bow tie. Quite possibly a coloured, rather than black, ready tied bow tie.

Archived