Formal Evenings

Billybonds

Ah! The good old "easier and quicker and who cares about the accuracy" point. "Tux" is simply wrong in English - albeit perfectly acceptable in American.

If you could tell me where I can get a bespoke suit for £400 I would be grateful. Or do you only deal in "off the peg"?

I'm willing to put a fair sum on the wager that you wear a ready tied bow tie. Quite possibly a coloured, rather than black, ready tied bow tie.

As I am in reasonable shape (says me lol) I can mostly find off the peg suits that fit me perfectly. And as for the bow tie, I do prefer black but would consider other colors if they looked good. As for ready tied or not I have no preference and will wear any that looks right. Now we come to the tux or dress suit thing, this is a forum not an English literature exam !

Happy cruising in your off the peg tux , your bespoke dress suit and your black bow tie or your pink ready tied dicky bow. :-)

As I am in reasonable shape (says me lol) I can mostly find off the peg suits that fit me perfectly. And as for the bow tie, I do prefer black but would consider other colors if they looked good. As for ready tied or not I have no preference and will wear any that looks right. Now we come to the tux or dress suit thing, this is a forum not an English literature exam !

Happy cruising in your off the peg tux , your bespoke dress suit and your black bow tie or your pink ready tied dicky bow. :-)

Colors?

COLORS?

Smelling salts please......

Ah! The good old "easier and quicker and who cares about the accuracy" point. "Tux" is simply wrong in English - albeit perfectly acceptable in American.

If you could tell me where I can get a bespoke suit for £400 I would be grateful. Or do you only deal in "off the peg"?

I'm willing to put a fair sum on the wager that you wear a ready tied bow tie. Quite possibly a coloured, rather than black, ready tied bow tie.

I am sure you are a very decent person, but you are coming across as a snob.

Clam down, it really isn't worth it.

Cheers

Gerry

Yeah between 90-95% I look around the room on these nights and 'nearly all' the men are in tux , with the odd man in a suit dotted about. I am not gonna count them and work out the exact percentage, as I am on holiday and drinking my freebie gin and tonics!;)

Freebie Gin & Tonics on PO.......;/tell me more:):):)

I would think L/L would have had OBC, I don't think Sue would take a Cruise without it. The Captains Welcome Aboard party is open to everyone so feel free CambridgeCruiser to get plastered at P/O expensense.

Well I have a great Travel Agent, and yes I do expect OBC :D OBVIOUSLY before I cruise, most will give you that if you book early anyway.

I always get at least 4 perhaps upto 6 quotes for the same cabin/cruise before deciding to book, but my TA is usually the cheapest, or if not very close, so I stay with him.

I quite like the Captains welcome aboard parties...Stopgo as you have done 2 now on your two cruises why don't you like them??

I must admit Venturas welcome aboard parties are rubbish.....my MIL came off on Friday and said the Captain said only a few words and disappeared. When I was on there, we really had to work hard to find a steward with a (free) drinks tray..and no nibbles atall...and as it was a weekender not even a glimse of the Captain...

On Arcadia and Aurora had lovely welcome aboard parties, Auroras especially lovely with plentyful nibbles and drinks held in Carmans. Arcadias is around the pool, but still managed 4 g & t's in 40mins!! They insist you take another then another.

If you are lucky enough to get a invite to a private Captains party - which I have - a few times, the drinks and nibbles are good then too, and you get to hobnob with the Officers. About 100 or so only get a invite to this...

Its just too crowded in case you haven't guessed I am not much of a drinker. I couldn't face doing C/W/A/P every holiday, I don't know how old Pugwash manages doing 6 to 8 a year, having done 2 the noveltys worn off. I can't remember exactly what time they have it, I'm thinking its inbetween the two evening meal sittings. Which ether puts you off the evening meal or you have just had your meal and too full to enjoy the nibbles

I have to say 4 g &t's in 40 minutes seems alot, together with the carton of wine in your cabin. I know your on holiday but I would still advice moderation especially when you get to our age.

OH i do drink with moderation thank you, we have 1/2 bottle of wine on a Saturday night at home with a special meal I cook and nothing at all all week.

The 'carton' as you put it, is a wine box holds 16 glasses of wine and is for 2 people over a 14n cruise - hardly worth worrying about, thats one glass a day in the late afternoon on the balcony...

OH i do drink with moderation thank you, we have 1/2 bottle of wine on a Saturday night at home with a special meal I cook and nothing at all all week.

The 'carton' as you put it, is a wine box holds 16 glasses of wine and is for 2 people over a 14n cruise - hardly worth worrying about, thats one glass a day in the late afternoon on the balcony...

Sorry Sue, I was concerned its very easy to overdo it on holiday the G&Ts at the bar the bottle of wine with the Evening Meal. I hardly drink so maybe I'm missing out, apart from Coffee, J2Os are my only drink. The word Carton is an old expression as in milk carton, if I drank wine I would have called it a wine box. I guess wine box is a more upmarket name.

Archived