Short Review - Eurodam 3/28 - 4/4

With a few minor exceptions an EXCELLENT cruise!

Background: This was our 6th cruise in 3 years and second on HAL. First was Oosterdam to Mexico and since it was our first we always wanted to go back to HAL. We had great difficulties getting to ship due to expensive airfares and Denver's supposedly "all-weather" airport that forced us to make a middle of the night decision for DW to drive in snow to Albuquerque to fly Southwest to Orlando. She made it and I did not have to go on our anniversary cruise by myself (I was already in FL - long story)

Embarkation: Flawless and Fort Lauderdale folks were very nice and gracious. But, in the waiting room before boarding we could tell that there were more than a few fundamentally grumpy people that would be on this cruise. How anyone can sit there, minutes before boarding, with a grumpy scowl on their face I don't know.

Cabin: We had a guaranteed verandah and it was very nice; lots of storage. The bed was very uncomfortable, though. Perhaps I have become too accustomed to our new sleep number bed at home (sleep #35 BTW).

HIGHLIGHTS: Piano Bar - Jimmy the Piano guy was great and developed quite a cult following throughout the cruise. Again, only bad part was Mr. Grumpy who felt he should have received a prize for coming in second during the Beatles contest...this guy was obsessed. Fun crowd every night and Jimmy is fantastic. Tamarind - GREAT food and service even better. Ate there 2 nights. Pinnacle - also 2 nights and the food was superb. Canelleto - again, super food and service - and its free. Amazed me that more did not take advantage of it. Half Moon Cay - Paradise; simply paradise. We rented a clamshell but ended up walking down the beach to a wonderful hammock that had relaxation written all over it. Laid Back Service - unlike other cruise lines, we were not pestered all the time with drink offers; if we wanted a drink it was handy, if not, no one bothered us. Mariners Brunch - although a large number of people, the food was excellent and enjoyed meeting the Captain and officers. Shops - yes, even the shops are great on the Eurodam. The last day was a super sale and we got Eurodam jackets for $9.99 apiece. Explorations Cafe and Library - Great idea combining and it was always busy (grumpy old men hogging the newspapers every day though). Thermal Suites - our favorite part of a HAL ship - never busy, very relaxing - a great respite.

LOWLIGHTS - Grumpy passengers. I don't know why, maybe the world situation, but there were a lot of really grumpy old men on this cruise. But, we didn't let them damper our spirits! Cabin Steward - first couple evenings he didn't do turndown service until almost 9:00 - no big deal but evidence that they are overworked. I requested softer pillows and robes on day 1 with an upfront bit of a tip and service was excellent from then on.

PORTS - Grand Turks - rented a golf cart and toured the island. Lot of hurricane devestation remains. New port area is nice but people need to get beyond Margaritaville. San Juan - walked around the town and it was nice but sick of jewelry stores by then. St. Thomas - beautiful but too many "hawkers" and jewelry stores. Hired a driver and saw the island a bit.

I plan to write a more extensive review later (still not home - long, long story). Did go to the CC meeting and met a few super folks but DW was exhausted and was napping so it wasn't the same without her.

Overall - an "A" cruise!

I enjoyed your report, and I'm glad you got a chance to try another HAL ship the way you wanted to.

I can picture you soaking up the calm, relaxing atmosphere on Half Moon. You'll have fond memories I'm sure.

May your journey home be pleasant and safe.

Re: Cabin turndown and made-up service on Eurodam

Yes, we found out that our cabin stewards had 32 cabins(straight out of their mouths) to take care of. Both of our turndowns/madeup service were late and our cabin stewards never introduced themselves the first night and that is very rare on HAL. We said nothing after we heard how many cabins they had to do. I can't believe that they are expected to do that much.

RL

I was on this cruise as well, and am much more impressed with the Eurodam than the other ships of her approximate size (Noordam and Zuiderdam). I thought Cruise Director Johnny Quinn did a good job of encouraging the grumpy people to chill, though I did not encounter any personally. The food was much better than the Noordam, and the activites were WAY better.

I also love HMC, as usual I was on the first tender over and the last one back. I think the ultimate HAL cruise would be 2 days at HMC and 3 in St Thomas with a couple of sea days thrown in.

Thank you for your review. DH and I didn't see much of our room steward either. Sometimes the morning clean up wasn't finished until around 11:30AM. Some days we just told them to forget it. We were ready to relax after a busy morning. They certainly have more cabins to do now then just a few years ago.

Archived