Do we HAVE to check in 90 minutes prior to a flight?

BethCarp

I just confirmed my flight for tomorrow morning with American. The automated "person" said we are required to check in 90 minutes prior. We're flying from st. louis to ft. lauderdale--domestic flight. Are they really requiring 90 minutes now? I thought it was an hour. Our flight's very early, so I don't expect to be held up by security, but I don't want to hang out at the airport for that long before our flight. Is 90 minutes REALLY necessary?

I travel all the time for business and I get there 1 hour before, especially for the time you are leaving at. However, keep 2 things in mind.

1. The one hour before means I walk in the door 1 hour before the flight. It does not include taking time to park, etc.

2. I am leaving for a cruise in a week and I am going to get there 90 minutes prior. But that shows you my priorities. If I miss a business flight...oh well. But if I miss the flight to my cruise...well that is another story! :D

Just my opinion...

As an airline employee, I can say...no you probably don't have to be there 90 minutes early...but I work the early AM shift and that is our busiest time of the day. All of the airlines have early flights and the airport is busy especially through security checkpoint. I would rather be there 90 minutes early and have time for a cup of coffee than to be rushing around afraid I'd miss my flight.

Spirit Airlines requires you to be at the airport 2 hours prior, so 90 minutes isn't too bad. You COULD end up stuck in a line for security, or being more fully searched (due to the new regulations), even if it's an early flight. I wouldn't chance it.

We went on our cruise in October and our flight left Boston at 8:20 AM. We were at the airport by 6:15Am and the line was so long, we had to wait in line about a 1/2hr and then went thru security. That in inself takes awhile.

It may not take 90 mins, but the 90 mins is to get thru security and then on the plane which boards 30 mins prior. So you really only have 1 hr to get thru security.

It also might be helpful to consider your options if something strange does happen and you miss your flight.

Flying in on the same day of the cruise does limit your options quite a bit. There have been plenty of stories in the news about people doing unorthodox things at security check-ins that delay the process for all involved.

Considering it all, that few extra minutes seems a wise investment which will return peace of mind at a minimum, and potentially a lot more.

Theron

Last cruise in April, we had a 5:30am flight out of Boston Logan. We got to the airport about 3:30am, as recommended by the airline/cruise co., only to find a line of people out the door of the terminal and check-in counters that didn't open until 4:15am.

On top of that, we couldn't do automated check-in, which began at 4am, because the airline refused to assign us seats because the plane was overbooked.

Finally ended up getting seat assignments about 5 minutes prior to departure but over 1 dozen folks were bumped.

You want to be careful if that is the airline policy. Case in point - I was standing in line with a woman who was flying on a major airline with us. They had a no check in 45 mintues before the flight policy. She got to the counter 30 minutes before the flight to check in the day before (when her flight was scheduled) and the WOULD NOT let her check in. She had to fly standby the next day (the day we meet her). From that point on I decided never to risk it.

If you go to the following website you can get information on the average wait time at specific airports. This might help your decision.

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/index.html

That's a great site, thanks for posting. I was checking FLL and it had times for about 6 different checkpoints, eg 'checkpoint h'. Is anyone familiar enough to know where these different checkpoints are located at FLL? We'll be flying out of terminal 4 and I'm trying to get a handle on which one might apply to us.

One other thing to consider...

If your boarding pass happens to come up with "SSSS" on it, you'll be separately searched. By searched, I mean, removed from your party, pockets emptied, patted down, scanned, carry-ons fully searched, etc. It's random, but they can also visually pick people out of line to search. Very embarrassing (it happened to me a few weeks ago and I understand it's for safety reasons, but it's still embarrassing!), but thank God the ticket agent pre-warned me it would happen. That will also add time to your check-in process. There was a news article on that a couple of days ago.

That's a great site, thanks for posting. I was checking FLL and it had times for about 6 different checkpoints, eg 'checkpoint h'. Is anyone familiar enough to know where these different checkpoints are located at FLL? We'll be flying out of terminal 4 and I'm trying to get a handle on which one might apply to us.

In case anyone else is interested I have found out that we will be using checkpoint H (Spirit Air) which appears to have the worst times - maximum 100 minutes, average 47 minutes to clear security at our time on a Saturday!!:cool:

I fly a couple trips every month. If you are an elite traveller, most legacy airlines have a special (usually shorter) line for you. There are Elite (usually shorter) security lines available as well in many airports. Despite qualifying for all that, I always get to the airport 90-120 minutes prior to my flight. Because ... stuff happens. Not always, but sometimes.

Ways to overcome delays:

1) Online check-in. My carrier of choice (Delta) allows me to check in 24 hours before my flight leaves. I print my boarding passes at home or the office.

2) Carry on luggage. Within reason, people. Don't expect your steamer trunk to fit in the overhead. But, I can pack what I need for a 3 night cruise in a carryon.

3) Get there early. SSSS happens when you least need it. I will take a meal or coffee at the airport even though it's overpriced and sub-par quality. Join you airlines club (if there's one in your home airport). Many offer day passes for $25-50/ person. They are quiet, comfortable and many offer beverages, clean bathrooms and snacks. It's a great way to kick off a cruise vacation. Get used to being pampered before you even leave.

4) Allow sufficient time to arrive and depart. I've read over and over here not to arrive the morning of your cruise. Too stressful. Allow plenty of time to depart as well. Airports like FLL can be overwhelmed with departing cruise passengers. Book your flight home in the late afternoon.

It's your vacation! Do the work beforehand so you can relax.

Interesting website. I think it's very optimistic though for the DC area airports. I still planning on arriving two hours before my Sunday morning flight and if I have to sit around for an hour - so be it. I'd rather spend an hour reading a magazine or two than be just 5 minutes late getting to the gate. Still, arriving at 5 am will NOT be fun. I like sleeping in too much.:D

goodml...thanks for the info for Spirit Air about the terminal and checkin point. The 100 minutes you stated would be in line with what we experienced flying out of FLL on Spirit in October. Arrived at airport at 9:30 am and was at the gate at 11 am...very congensted area at check in

Hey only 8 more days for you :) enjoy and please report back.

Emmy

On our October cruise my carryon tested postive for explosives! They had to take everything out..recheck. question me..copy my ID & ticket. There aren't even any guns in our home. TSA said some hand creams have a triggering agent in them because the detection points are set so low. That ate up 15 minutes. On the way home I had a keychain with a small flashlite attached. Replay of going through everything like Seattle. The patdown search was intrusive but there are no alternatives. Allow time for glitches you can't forsee, they happen.

goodml...thanks for the info for Spirit Air about the terminal and checkin point. The 100 minutes you stated would be in line with what we experienced flying out of FLL on Spirit in October. Arrived at airport at 9:30 am and was at the gate at 11 am...very congensted area at check in

Hey only 8 more days for you :) enjoy and please report back.

Emmy

Thanks Emmy - it's starting to seem real now. I'll definitely let you know how it goes.:)

On our October cruise my carryon tested postive for explosives! They had to take everything out..recheck. question me..copy my ID & ticket. There aren't even any guns in our home. TSA said some hand creams have a triggering agent in them because the detection points are set so low. That ate up 15 minutes. On the way home I had a keychain with a small flashlite attached. Replay of going through everything like Seattle. The patdown search was intrusive but there are no alternatives. Allow time for glitches you can't forsee, they happen.

Now THAT is unbelievable!!:eek:

Archived