Travelling to Galveston from San Antonio

oldpatrol

We are travelling to Galveston from the Tx-Mx border near San Antonio. When will the construction on the highway between Houston and Galveston be completed (or is it already completed)? Is the ferry an option worth choosing? Is there a better route besides going through Houston? Is there a better time to use any of these routes? I know too many questions but any other info would be great thanks.:cool:

... When will the construction on the highway between Houston and Galveston be completed (or is it already completed)?...

Per years and years of history, the construction between Houston and Galveston will NEVER be completed. It may finish in one area, but then will start up in another area. See the thread titled 3/4 through May 4, 2009 Alert for I-45 Between Galveston and Houston (MERGED THREADS) at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=931869.

Also, see the thread titled alternate routes to & from Galveston at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=923579. We discuss the lengthly history of I-45 construction on the Gulf Freeway such as follows:

I grew up in Houston and remember hearing on the news about I45 workers retiring after an entire career working on I45, too. And that was years ago. I guess you could add "I45 construction" to the list of the only things that are certain in life- death, taxes, and I45 construction. :rolleyes:

Wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif on your trip to Galveston!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Host Kat is correct about the construction on the Gulf Freeway / I-45 never benig complete. That being said, the major hold up that has been causing the most recent closing of the freeway is at Nasa Rd. 1.

I just returned from shopping and observed that new section going both north and south are open. The point of this construction was to elevate I-45 to allow Nasa Rd. 1 to go under instead of over I-45. As of this morning, one side of the new elevated portion of I-45 is complete. They've divided this section into 3 lanes north and 3 lanes south to allow the smooth flow of traffic while they complete the other side.

Unless you need to exit I-45 in the Nasa Rd. 1 area of use the frontage road, this part of the construction should not slow you up much. Unless there is an accident or some large event being held in Galveston. I'm not sure when you plan to cruise but a clear sunny day during the late spring or summer can count as a large event in Galveston with everyone heading to the beaches.

• 3 weeks later...

The best route would be to take I-10 to the Beltway 8 tollway south to I-45. The traffic will be lighter that route and going I-10 to I-45. Depending on the time of day will make the most difference on traffic on I-45. Driving in from SA on the day of the cruise is do able.

It is possible to go south via hwy 288 to hwy 6 to I-45 from either beltway 8 or 610 loop but you run the risk of small town traffic on the southern portion of hwy 6. I did the reverse route from Lamarque up hwy 6 to 288 into 610 with no issues not to long ago.

The ferry is not really a option coming from SA as it would add additional mileage and an unknown wait time for the ferry.

Archived