RCI or Princess for Mediterranean?

We are planning a summer 2005 Mediterranean cruise - our first holiday for 3 (myself, DH and DS who will be almost 11) as our DD is off on a World Challenge expedition! We have narrowed the field down to RCI and Princess (Brilliance V Grand Princess) but which is the best for us? We were looking for a good kids' program so that DS isn't lonely (although I'm sure he will still miss his big sister). Any opinions would be very gratefully received. Thanks.

Both cruise lines are family friendly with perhaps a slight edge to RCCL. I have been on both ships and they are both great. In all honesty though, since you are going to Europe I think you should choose the ship that has the better itinerary and is within your budget.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Thanks for the input, superjerryw. Both ships have very similar itineraries and, as we're from the UK, flights will be quite cheap. Your reply has nudged us towards RCCL. Now we've just got to find the best price (through a US travel agent - you should see what we UK cruisers are charged for a cruise package!).

Thanks again.

We've been on both Princess and RCCL but had no children with us so can't really advise on that one.

Although we do prefer Princess (slightly), they do not make it easy for us to book from the UK via a US TA - we have done, but I don't know how the TA managed it. On the other hand RCI are positively welcoming, so for the sake of an easy life we now tend to go Royal Caribbean

we are going to try princess for many reasons but one of them is that their flexible eating times... with kids that may be a plus.. but you cannot go wrong with either.

We've been on both ships with our kids and both the kids and my husband & I would choose RCCL over Princess. Both had different aspects, for example;

Princess, we love the fresh water pools, and excellent food as well as dining room staff!!

RCCL, excellent service although the dining room staff isn't as well versed as Princess. Food isn't quite as good as Princess either (although this is a highly subjective area). This isn't to say I didn't love my meals--they were still very good. Kids program on RCCL does circles around the Grand Princess. And the Brilliance is a gorgeous ship--the Grand is pretty, but doesn't possess the beauty of the Brilliance.

Either way, you'll have a wonderful time. Good luck in choosing! We're looking into this trip as well.

Tracey

Until we cruise again. . . . . .

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;6;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Premier Oceanic-Bahamas, 2/89

Rhapsody-East. Carib. 12/97

Grand Princess-East. Car. 5/00

Radiance-Hawaii,10/2001

Adventure-South. Car. 7/2002

Brilliance-Panama Canal 12/2003 "Happy New Year!"

Mariner-East. Carib. 6/2004

Thank you all for your input. We've opted for Brilliance (based mainly on the superior kids' program) and booked aft GS 1600 - well I've got to have some compensation for holidaying without my little girl for the first time! I wish the search was working because I now want as much info as possible about Brilliance and GS category cabins.

suekay, can you believe we're on a US discussion board and we only live a few miles apart in the UK?!

Thanks once again.

The GS cabins are nice, esp. 1600. The layout is very different than the GS cabins on the sides of the ship. We had this cabin on the Brilliance in Dec. I have some photos (but they are taken from the Radiance) by someone else who sent them to me). Email me and I will forward them to you. mt10@mchsi.com

The cabin is very large, and the bathroom is huge!! Nice size bathtub with shower and two sinks. Plenty of drawer space. My son and his friends hung out in our cabin as it was large enough for them to do things. It has a CD & DVD player in the cabin as well. The couch folds out into a bed and there is a curtain to divide the room if you want.

The balcony is large and very nice views from the back of the ship. I only heard noises from the windjammer if I was sitting on the balcony during the busy lunch and it was not a problem at all!

Have a great trip!

Tracey

Until we cruise again. . . . . .

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;6;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Premier Oceanic-Bahamas, 2/89

Rhapsody-East. Carib. 12/97

Grand Princess-East. Car. 5/00

Radiance-Hawaii,10/2001

Adventure-South. Car. 7/2002

Brilliance-Panama Canal 12/2003 "Happy New Year!"

Mariner-East. Carib. 6/2004

Archived