grand cayman butterflies

nixxhome

I read an article on Cayman News - online newspaper - that said they destroyed the butterflies just before the hurricane hit. Newspaper had a place to e-mail for questions so I ask why they were destroyed before the hurricane. They printed my letter in the paper but didn't answer the question. This was several weeks ago right after they came back online. Not sure if you can read archives or not but here is the addy:

http://www.caymannetnews.com/

really was disppointing and I would like to have known the reason.

Becky

becky...wow...they wiped out the butterflies...sad...the reason lies with our dept of agriculture (i'm pretty sure)...it seems the US didn't want any exotic non-native butterflies making their way to the US mainland (a la dorothy in the wizard of oz, i guess ) which could result in destructive caterpillars getting started here, damaging various US crops...doubt if they will be spending much time or money redeveloping the butterfly farm for some time to come..sorry i will miss it. BOO! ...nick

Archived