Some questions from a total cruise noob.

SJChaput

congratulation on the upcoming wedding. My wife and I did a cruise on our honeymoon as well. You guys will have a lot of fun. I would say for the cost alone you should go on the Pride. I have heard great things about the ship, and you guys will have a blast no matter what the itenerary is. ;)

Have fun planning

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Without a doubt my favorite Carnival ship . . . the PRIDE . . . we Angelians hated to see her go.:( Read as many reviews as you can and you'll become very informed. This being your first cruise, you want to make a great selection.

Cruise ships are like wives . . . you never forget your first. :D

(I just know I'm going to regret this) :rolleyes:

I have cruised the Bahamas and the Caribbean and would DEFINITELY recommend the Caribbean!! Of the two itins you mentioned, the Legend seems like a great choice to me (in fact, I"m booked on the Legend in October 09).

I also have a cruise on the Freedom in May that has stops in Grand Cayman and Jamaica, like your other itin does. Many people are wary of going to Jamaica (and I understand why). The vendors are extremely aggressive in trying to get you to purchase their items and there are clearly some safety issues on that island. As far as Grand Cayman, be advised that this is an "expensive" island -- IMHO. Food, drinks, excursions, souvenirs are all quite pricey.

I'm doing my first Supper Club outing on the Glory in a few weeks, but I have heard nothing but rave reviews and that it is completely worth the extra $30 per person.

I understand that you are looking at budget concerns and you certainly have to find something that is within your price range, but also remember your honeymoon memories are going to last a lifetime and you want them to be amazing!!!! (Freeport and Nassau in the Bahamas are not on the top of most cruiser's list as far as "amazing" places to visit. We went to a beach in Freeport during Hurricane season and the waves were so high and tumultuous we couldn't even stand up in the water! These Bahamas cruises are a great quick getaway, with a party-type atmosphere on the ships, but to me, since you are saying you want this to be "nice", I would opt for a different itin. I have heard that Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk are beautiful, but a hurricane forced us to miss both of those ports in Sept. 2008).

Me and my girlfriend of seven years are to be married on September 5th of this year and have decided to take a cruise for our honeymoon. I have never been on a cruise before and don't know what to expect and don't know what to look for in a cruise.

The cruise I have chosen is a 7 day Bahama trip on the Carnival Pride. Is that a good ship? If so what rooms should I shoot for (We are looking at balcony staterooms) on what deck?

If I have the choice between a Bahama and Caribbean cruise what would be my best bet?

I see that I have to commit to a dining room schedule, does that mean I can ONLY eat at that time or is the buffet open at all hours for whenever I want to eat?

What ways am I best to find a good price, I was laid off a year ago and money is tight, but it is my honeymoon and I want my baby to have a great time regardless.

Do I need a passport if I am leaving from and returning to Baltimore?

Is there any pertinent information I should know that a noob might not. I am hearing that it is hurricane season, if the cruise is for some reason canceled do I get my money back or do I have to buy a costly insurance?

This is my first visit to the forum and I understand that there might be a ton of threads dealing with these questions but I can't seem to find them and I feel like I am way over my head here.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Congrats on the wedding! I am actually taking this trip on the exact same ship in 2 weeks! We booked and interior but if you can, get a balcony room unless you are prone to sea sickness, since they are on the back of the ship. The dining times have changed and you can now do anytime dining which means you can enter the dining room from 530-930 and eat whenever you'd like. I would just shop around for a good price, maybe get a travel agent to help you out since they can find all the good deals. You will definitely need a passport since after June 1st of this year, there is a new law requiring it. Plus they are good for 10 years so I would just get it. The Carribbean would probably be more interesting but we chose the Bahamas because it fit our budget and we all live in Baltimore. I will leave a review when I get back.

Like I said I know jack about cruises so I was looking at menus online... This menu from Carnival is this the inclusive free menu or the extra fee menu?

I am wondering because the food looks so damn good.

If the menu doesn't say 'Supper Club" the its the inclusive menu. The "Supper Club" is the restaurant that is extra. Like $30 pp. Alot of people say its worth it. My take on it is, if you can do it then try it out. But I am just as happy with all the free food. Also room service and the sushi is free as well.

me and my girlfriend of seven years are to be married on september 5th of this year and have decided to take a cruise for our honeymoon. I have never been on a cruise before and don't know what to expect and don't know what to look for in a cruise.

The cruise i have chosen is a 7 day bahama trip on the carnival pride. Is that a good ship? If so what rooms should i shoot for (we are looking at balcony staterooms) on what deck? the pride is a beautiful ship. They have obstructed view balcony cabins that are a great deal - you can still see everything. They are obstructed because your balcony is above the tenders. You can still see out just not down.

if i have the choice between a bahama and caribbean cruise what would be my best bet? i think there is more to see and do in the caribbean.

I see that i have to commit to a dining room schedule, does that mean i can only eat at that time or is the buffet open at all hours for whenever i want to eat? there is food available all day and night. You will not go hungry. I prefer late dining because there are less young kids and you have more time to hang out in port and then take a nap or swim before dinner.

what ways am i best to find a good price, i was laid off a year ago and money is tight, but it is my honeymoon and i want my baby to have a great time regardless. just keep checking all the different cruise sites. Don't just go to carnival.

do i need a passport if i am leaving from and returning to baltimore? yes. You need a passport if you plan to travel. It is really worth it and you get it for 10 years.

is there any pertinent information i should know that a noob might not. I am hearing that it is hurricane season, if the cruise is for some reason canceled do i get my money back or do i have to buy a costly insurance? you need trip cancellation insurance. It is not that expensive and well worth it.

this is my first visit to the forum and i understand that there might be a ton of threads dealing with these questions but i can't seem to find them and i feel like i am way over my head here. i usually type in some key words at the top right under search this forum and start reading.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

good luck!

Also I am just getting ready to book now... I am TWO weeks late to book the early saver... Any chance I can call and maybe get some flexibility on that?

Doubtful they'll budge on that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

There are other discounts available as well.

Were/are you in the military? Work for an airline? When you call Carnival or your TA, ask what is available and if you qualify for them.

1) Go with an open mind...especially on your first cruise. To be more specific its great that you're reading this board and gathering lots of info but do NOT set too many expectations. I've read many reviews from people who have returned that complain about certain aspects of their cruise that they expected. Be open to whatever happens.

2) Have you seen this site from Carnival about their ships? - http://www.carnival.com/FunShips.aspx

3) This is strictly my opinion - I book my Carnival cruises directly with Carnival. I've read too many TA nightmares to not just simplify things and go directly to the source. Again, this is my opinion.

I feel that #1 is the single most important bit of advice that I can give and was given to me.

Me and my girlfriend of seven years are to be married on September 5th of this year and have decided to take a cruise for our honeymoon. I have never been on a cruise before and don't know what to expect and don't know what to look for in a cruise.

The cruise I have chosen is a 7 day Bahama trip on the Carnival Pride. Is that a good ship? If so what rooms should I shoot for (We are looking at balcony staterooms) on what deck?

If I have the choice between a Bahama and Caribbean cruise what would be my best bet?

I see that I have to commit to a dining room schedule, does that mean I can ONLY eat at that time or is the buffet open at all hours for whenever I want to eat?

What ways am I best to find a good price, I was laid off a year ago and money is tight, but it is my honeymoon and I want my baby to have a great time regardless.

Do I need a passport if I am leaving from and returning to Baltimore?

Is there any pertinent information I should know that a noob might not. I am hearing that it is hurricane season, if the cruise is for some reason canceled do I get my money back or do I have to buy a costly insurance?

This is my first visit to the forum and I understand that there might be a ton of threads dealing with these questions but I can't seem to find them and I feel like I am way over my head here.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

YAY...Balcony Club on the Honeymoon. Man, I am jealous!!!

Actually, Legend is a Spirit class ship. It's quite a bit different than Conquest.

The pools do not close at 6pm.

Generally, the midships pool closes at 8pm and the aft pool is open longer...along with the hot tubs.

You are correct....and aft pool closes @ 10:00pm.

So looking at the Pride 7 day to the Bahamas (cheapest and easiest to get to so far) is $1500 combined for the two of us... Through Carnival directly (not including air which is like $180... Going to call some travel agents and stuff and see if I can do better... But this is a pretty dang good price. Paid a little extra for an extended balcony too non obstructed view... Can't wait to get breakfast brought to my door and sit outisde with the wind in my hair on my balcony... Woooo.

Going to keep shopping around though.

Thank you guys very much for the tips I feel like the info is starting to soak in.

If you have to fly to your departure port, it is best to fly in a day early or fly in really early in the morning if you have to fly the same day. Even if you book your air through Carnival, you are not gauranteed to make it to the ship on time (if there are delays) and the ship will not wait for you. 2 or 3 hours prior to ship departure may seem like enough time, but is is not.

That's a good point, so I guess if I am going to go in hurricane season I should look for the most fun I can have on board as a guarnetee.

In that case I think the cheapest place I can get to is Baltimore considering I live in RI and it is a 7 hour drive or 1 hour trip by plane. Cheap tickets too.

A relative of mine was saying the pools on the boat close at like 6pm... Anyone know if that is true?

All in all cruising is looking more and more fun the more I look into them.

Yes, Go for the closest for your first Cruise. This will be our 10th Cruise on Carnival and we have been on other lines. We haven't had a bad Cruise yet, and love ALL the ships we have been on.

Go with the attitude you are GOING TO HAVE FUN. Doesn't really matter the ship..the whole experience is awesome and everytime we book another Cruise, I am just as excited as the first.

Congrats and remember (even on your Honeymoon) you may not be spending a lot of time in your room so don't NECESSARILY put all your dollars there.

Just HAVE FUN.

If you have to fly to your departure port, it is best to fly in a day early or fly in really early in the morning if you have to fly the same day. Even if you book your air through Carnival, you are not gauranteed to make it to the ship on time (if there are delays) and the ship will not wait for you. 2 or 3 hours prior to ship departure may seem like enough time, but is is not.

I will go a step further and recommend not to book air thru Carnival.......

Not all extended balconies are created equal. Some are deeper, some are longer, some are both. In my opinion the best balconies on the Pride(Spirit class) would be... 6232, 7258, 8232.

Here is a thread about things people didn't know until after their first cruise. It is long, but you may want to read it at your leisure.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854020&highlight=learned+first+cruise

Here are some things that I've read that people didn't know:

1) The food is included in the price of your cruise. This applies only to the dining room (you will pick an option a) Traditional main seating - dinner at about 6:00 b) Traditional late seating - dinner at about 8:15 c) on some ships, you can pick 'my time - open seating' in which you can go to dinner at the dining room anytime from 5:45 - 9:00. The free food also applies to the Buffet and Grill, etc on the Lido Deck. There is a set time frame for breakfast (like maybe 8-10), lunch (like maybe 12-2), and dinner. The daily activities and information like newspaper called Capers will be delivered to your room each day. You can find out the lido open times in there. It will also have a list of activities for the day.

2) The food that is not included in your cruise price is the Supper Club or specialty restaurant that costs $30 per person and you have to make reservations.

3) Beverages included in the price of your cruise is tea (hot or cold), coffee, lemonaid, juice.

4) Beverages not included - you pay extra for - Soda, drinks (alchol or not) from the Bars. There is also a specialy coffee place where you have to pay. If you drink a lot of soda (pop), you can buy a soda card for I think about $30 to get soda for the entire trip.

5) Tips of about $10 per person per day are added to your bill (sail & sign card) at the end of your trip. You can adjust them up or down or leave it the same depending on the service you received. These tips go to the room steward and dining servers. A tip is automatically added to bar bills.

6) On the day you board the ship, lunch is available on the lido deck (buffet/grill).

7) Many people board the ship early to start their vacation. Some get to the pier as early as 10:30 - 11:00.

8) Bring a watch. The ships time is different than the local time in ports and you must make sure you are back on the ship on time. The ship does not wait. Do not use the time on your cell phone, it will not be correct for the ship time, so bring a watch and set to the ships time.

9) There is a safe in your room. Use it for $$ and valuables. I've never had anything stolen, but have heard stories so its best to play it safe.

I always book with a Cruise only TA. We've used her lots, know her and trust her. So I am not trying to talk you out of using a TA. A good TA can sometimes get you even better deals than the cruise line themselves, and can be a great help when things don't go right. But, I just want to tell you to be very careful if you book with a TA to verify all potential fees and charges up front. Espcially about cancelations.

All cruise lines have cancelation penalties, starting from the day your final payment is due, about seventy days before sailing. The breakdown of how much, and on what date it's charged can be found in the back of the brochure, and on the Carnival website.

What you have to ask the TA before you book, is if they charge ANY fees of their own. Some TAs will charge a cancelation fee of thier own, separate from the cruise line fee, and they charge it right from the moment you make the deposit. I will not book with any TA that would charge that kind of fee. Some even charge you to make changes. So ask questions up front.

BTW, I totally agree with the advice above to book your own airfare. All cruise lines are notorious for booking dreadful, round about, multi connection, terribly timed itineraries. We used to book with them. Never will again.

And I agree, that if there's any way at all to do it, you definitely should fly into your embarkation city the day ahead. There are a dozen reasons, but just being sure you don't miss the boat is the most important. The other is to be able to arrive at the pier early and board early. And you get to arrive well rested, not totally exhausted from waking up in the middle of the night to catch a flight at dawn. It practically gives you another whole day on the ship. And in addition to that, if you arrive early that previous day, you get a chance to see a bit of your embarkations city. It's like having another port on the itinerary.

Archived