To tux or not to tux

Just booked myself onto Majesty 2/11 for the long weekend in Nassau...third trip on this ship. In the past I've always taken my tux but on the past few junkets have felt absolutely overdressed on formal night and am debating even bothering to take my tux this trip. Though I prefer (and really enjoy) getting dressed up for formal night so few people seem to do it anymore - or is this just my imagination. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks...

I have sailed twice on the Majesty, most recently 7/26/04. I saw tuxes on formal night but would say on 10% or fewer of the adult male guests. My recollection of the previous sailing is that it was more formal. The difference may be July vs January. If it pleases you, I say wear it. I will be sailing her again 1/28/05 and will wear a dark suit - like a significant majority of the other men.

Thanks...think I'll take your advice and just wear a black suit. I also have a beige silk jacket which could almost pass for a "dinner jacket" and may try that instead...miss the tuxedos but times are changing. I was westbound transatlantic on QM2 in October and the formal nights were wonderful...everyone on board looked beautiful/handsome/elegant. Oh, well...thanks again!

Nowadays IMO I think a Black Suit will work, even on a 7 or 10 day cruise. I usually just change color of dress shirt and add a different tie. But hey what ever makes you feel comfortable. I think if i went the tux route I would just order it from that site that will have it waiting in your room when you board, less to pack.

Ii'm so proud of my hubby. We are on a 14 day Panama cruise in Feb. and he just went and bought himself a tux! He's rented them before but finally decided that he could own one for the same amount as 4 rentals. He is planning on wearing to our company Christmas party next week. Can't wait to see him in it! There really is something about a man in a uniform or a tux - all you reluctant guys take notice!

Archived