protecting my hair and the fish?

Happy@home

I've heard before going into saltwater you should rub conditioner into your hair to keep it from being damaged. Will that hurt the fish when snorkeling? If so what can I do to protect my hair and the fish at the same time?

Hi,

As long as you're not using excessive amounts, should be no problem (people slather themselves with suntan lotion before getting in). Of course using natural, biodegradable conditioners are the best for the environment.

BTW, never hear rubbing conditioner before you enter the ocean (is this something you found on the internet, from a professional hair stylist in the know, or word of mouth from a friend?). I've spent hours underwater (I'm a guy with normal length hair) and never had an issue. The shampoo/conditioner you use in your normal shower routine should be sufficient (I'd think the sun would be worse on your hair than the water).

Randall

I don't even remember where I heard it. It's been a while. I wouldn't worry about it except for the fact that we have an event to go to the day after our cruise and I'm worried about my hair being a bigger frizzy mess than normal. :o I have red hair and it seems that everything bothers either my skin or my hair the older I get.

I have medium length hair and find that the salt water tangles it badly so I can not get a brush through. Since I had the same concerns about the fish as you, I carry a travel size of conditioner and work in a very small amount before I rinse off. I haven't noticed any issues with the salt water except the sticky tangled feeling.

I don't even remember where I heard it. It's been a while. I wouldn't worry about it except for the fact that we have an event to go to the day after our cruise and I'm worried about my hair being a bigger frizzy mess than normal. :o I have red hair and it seems that everything bothers either my skin or my hair the older I get.

I am in the same boat as you :D, red curly hair. I haven't tried the conditioner method before diving since I do worry about adding more stuff to the water. What I do is rinse my hair with fresh water immediately after I am done diving, then add stay in conditioner. Once I am back in our cabin I take a shower and my hair is fine. I have more difficulty with the frizz from the humidity than I do with the salt water.

My hairdresser always tells me to drench my head with the fresh water they have on board right before I go in to the saltwater (I suppose so it's not as thirsty and sucks up all of the salt). Then I do the leave in conditioner when I get out. Also if it's long enough to braid, that may help. I usually end up with more frizzies from ripping hair out when I take my mask off!

Let me share some things I have found here. I have fine hair but medium amount. I used to color and perm it. I went diving in Acapulco in 2006. I used a product I had seen advertised in Scuba Diving magazine and had testimonials. It was called Solar Recovery. Now, while it did take the tangles out very well, it also took my color and the perm. I had to have both redone within a month after my hair dresser used clarifying shampoo and such. It seemed it would be fine if you did not color or perm your hair. My hair was not damaged, in fact, the opposite. It was so limp from conditioning that she wouldn't recolor or reperm until it had time with several washings to get "back to normal".

However, my hair dresser listened to my issues with my hair over the next year as I was diving, snorkeling and such in the salt water but was a mess until I got back to wherever to wash/condition it. Meaning, I was scary after all water activites as my hair was a tangled mess and I would pull out alot of hair trying to brush, comb or pick it. She recommended a natural product call Soy Tri Wheat leave in conditioner. Let me tell you, it's magic. First off it's natural, less likely to hurt the environment. It's made from soy protein. I've used it on myself, my friend with thinner hair and my other friend with such thick hair it's enough for 3 people. You spray it on, leave it for 30 sec-1 minute and then either use a pick or brush. I take it in a small bottle on every dive, every snorkel trip or whenever I'll be in salt water. You can only get it through the beauty supply shop. Hope this helps.

My hairdresser always tells me to drench my head with the fresh water they have on board right before I go in to the saltwater (I suppose so it's not as thirsty and sucks up all of the salt). Then I do the leave in conditioner when I get out. Also if it's long enough to braid, that may help. I usually end up with more frizzies from ripping hair out when I take my mask off!

This is also very good advice. Hair absorbs less salt or anything else if it's wet than dry. When it's dry, it's like a sponge.

Archived