Scuba, Trinity Caves w\o Cert.

tbevins

In Puerto Vallarta, my girlfriend and I went on two dives, to about 80 ft. Prior to jumping off the boat, our instructor took us to a pool at a local resort and spent about an hour with us showing us how to use the equipment, safety precautions to follow etc. and we had a great time, however we did NOT technically get certified.

I am planning on another couple dives next month when we get to Grand Cayman and I am aware that most of the larger outfits will not take un-certified divers. I would like to know if anyone has experience with other smaller diving outfits on the West Bay, particularly with Trinity Caves.

I know that we really should just get certified, but with only one day in port I can't really spend the time OR the money. I just wanna dive!

The maximum depth limit for a Discover Scuba Diving experience is 40 feet in accordance with industry training standards. The limit is 60 feet for Open Water Training Dives number 3 and 4.

Trinity Caves is a popular wall dive with the shallowest part of the reef at the top of the Cayman Wall at about 50-60 feet deep. The wall drops off to several thousand feet deep.

Any dive operator taking a student diver to a depth greater than established industry limits is doing so outside of industry norms. In my experience you will not find any dive operators in Cayman willing to take an uncertified diver to these depths. No operator here, large or small, is willing to endanger a student in such a way.

Do the training dives and classroom work at home. Complete the certification dives in the warm, clear waters of the Caribbean. Then maybe you can dive Trinity Caves on a future visit.

What Drew said.

Go get certified first... you'll be glad you did (and you'll also understand why you don't want to be doing 80' ocean dives with only an hour's worth of instruction in a pool). :eek:

If you find a dive operator that will allow you to do this with without being certified -- RUN. They don't have your safety in mind.

Go get your certs! It's a lot of fun and you'll both enjoy diving safely!

Archived