Cave tubing - Worth it?

SJChaput

I see a lot of people mention the cave tubing and was wondering if it is really worth the time. What is the big draw and what makes it so much fun.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Cave tubing is not only interesting, you get a real feel of the beauty of Belize and the floating in the caves is breathtaking again filled with Mayan History and beliefs......it is not a wild adventure, but in fact more of a lazy ride down some calm and cool waters ! The ride can be long to Jaguar Paw, but if you have a good tour operator (there are two that I have used that come highly recommended on the boards), they will tell you about the Mayan history which I found very interesting....and make sure you get a tour operator that will allow time for a great Belize lunch of chicken and rice and an ice cold Belekin to refresh your thirst !

It is something that I always have enjoyed and would suggest to anyone visiting Belize for certain.

Definitely worth it! Book independently, there are several reputable tour operators that will give you a longer, better, experience than the ship's excursion. These aren't dinky little caves.......................they're humungous, and dark, and fun! You will be shepherded at all times by your guide, who will be fun and informative the whole time. It's an experience to remember.

We had a group of 20 and we all thought it was one of the best excursions we went on.. The water was amazing, and the caves were amazing.. We had the best tour guide which I got off the web..with high regards from other cruisers.. The rainforest was beautiful, our cab driver also took us on a tour.. We are going back to Belize in April and will be cave tubing!!!

"Worth" is rather subjective, no?

We can't tell you whether you'll enjoy a particular excursion or port.

Read the reviews, see what people have to say, look at the photos and make your own decision as to whether something is "worth" your time and money.

Me? I cruise to get to places that I've never seen. I try to do excursions that not only let me see some of the area, but are things I wouldn't normally get to do on a domestic vacation. I don't cruise for the ship experience, and I don't cruise to go to a foreign place only to lie on a beach (I save that for Half Moon Cay).

So, do your reading and decide if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

We went with Major Tom last May. Unfortunately, too many people didn't follow his instructions and didn't get early tenders, so by the time we reached the caves, the Carnival groups were already there. It was extremely crowded in the caves and the water was low.

Still, I loved it! I thought it was great. When I return in December, I'll go see some ruins, just because I want to see more of Belize and I haven't been to any ruins since my first cruise, when we went to Tulum (and loved it).

We went with Major Tom last May. Unfortunately, too many people didn't follow his instructions and didn't get early tenders.

Still, I loved it! I thought it was great.

I went with Major Tom on April 9th, 2009 and had a great time. I took the first tender and everything went fine but I know some others were late getting off the ship. The water level was low and at times we had to be dragged through the water (and we had to keep our butts up!). I recommend getting the $6 lunch as you are quite hungry afterwards and it is nice to try some local cooking. They offer a great experience.

andrew

Cave tubing is not only interesting, you get a real feel of the beauty of Belize and the floating in the caves is breathtaking again filled with Mayan History and beliefs......it is not a wild adventure, but in fact more of a lazy ride down some calm and cool waters ! The ride can be long to Jaguar Paw, but if you have a good tour operator (there are two that I have used that come highly recommended on the boards), they will tell you about the Mayan history which I found very interesting....and make sure you get a tour operator that will allow time for a great Belize lunch of chicken and rice and an ice cold Belekin to refresh your thirst !

It is something that I always have enjoyed and would suggest to anyone visiting Belize for certain.

Could you tell me the names of the reputable tour operaters? Thank you.

We were cave tubing on April 16th and had a great time! Our guide linked us all together and pulled us through the shallow spots and told us when to go "butts up". We never had to get out of our tubes and had a rather informative trip through the caves. I went by myself with my 2 boys: 4 and 8 and it was by far one of the best excursions. Several people from other tours tried to hook on to us or hang out but since our guide knew us personally by the time we got into the caves he asked them to go find their guide so he could focus on us, (unfortunately not all of their guides were accessible. They would let them listen but I am sure our tubes were hard enough to pull through the shallow spots:rolleyes:)

Additionally, the bus driver took us through Belize City and gave us an 'extra' tour enroute to the caves. It was entertaining and enjoyable. I feel like I got to see alot of Belize on the way to/from the caves that those that hung around the piers and beaches missed!

And the $5 lunch (chicken, beans and rice) has my children wanting to go back to Belize!

My table mates went to the beach and after seeing pictures and hearing about our trip cave tubing (. com) they wished they had gone with us.

I wish you fun on your trip!!!

I'm planning on doing this with the atv's through cave tubing dot com, but I'm wondering is the water cold? we are going dec. 13, 2009. Is there time to hang out at a beach afterwards, i would want to get on the first tender and the time is listed for around 3-3.5 hours

Also wondering where to buy this belize beer I just gotta try it!!

I'm planning on doing this with the atv's through cave tubing dot com, but I'm wondering is the water cold? we are going dec. 13, 2009. Is there time to hang out at a beach afterwards, i would want to get on the first tender and the time is listed for around 3-3.5 hours

the cave tubing is no where near a beach.

We went with Major Tom in April 2009 and just found them when we hit the shore; did not book in advance. Our guide was Lawhoma Brakeman, she was the sweetest woman and an awesome guide, ask for her! Expect a cost around $40 per person. We talked to other operators, they wanted $65; it was $99 through the ship.

I went once and it was very dull....very, very dull. The river was so low, we were dragging butt most of the time.

I'd do it again if it were during rainy season.

I agree, the worst part was waiting for people who thought they could show up when ever and eveyone would wait on them, which was what happened. But Major Tom is great.

We have gone twice through Coral Breeze tours, they use Hammerhead sports We have had Ivar as our guide both times! It was aesome!! Ivar really knows his stuff.

We had a group of six, which makes it so much more enjoyable. he will pick you up as soon as you get to the pier. We took the first tender off and were taken on the tour right away, no waiting for others to arrive. We also did two caves instead of the one most tour companies do. It was much busier in the second cave, the ship's tours are huge! You can see the large tour busses lined up.

We were also taken to a smaller restaurant for lunch and served a delicious lunch of BBQ's chicken, cole slaw and rice and beans.

I highly reccomend them.

Yes, the water is cold! Our guide let us swin around in the river for a bit afterwards. He also offered to stop for us to buy beer if we wanted.

We just got back this morning and we used Major Tom in Belize for the cave-tubing. I had booked with another one the day before but decided to change to Major Tom after I read the reviews. They are very professional and ask for Mike and Jenny with Maj. Tom. The water was a little low in some places but with the rain coming it won't be bad. They had to drag us at 2 spots but they just told us "butts up" and no problem.

We didn't have to get up and pick up the tubes or anything like that.

Carnival doesn't do this excursion any more because they had a fatality in November using another company. The river was very high that day and they were warned that it would be dangerous. They only had one guide to 50 people and did not make the people wear life vests or tie the tubes together. The women hit her head and was knocked unconscious and fell out of the tube and drowned. There was a large party coming after her group and they ran into her and by the time they found her she was already dead from drowning. Maj. Tom makes it mandatory for you to use a life vest as well as make everyone float down together. He is safety first which is better. The family of the women is suing Carnival and the tour company which lost their license.

It definitely is worth taking the tour just pick a reputable and safe company.

• 2 weeks later...
How cold is cold? I hate cold water.

I didn't think it was too cold.....I got used to it quickly and was not cold at all after that. We were there in June. I enjoyed it but not something I plan on doing this trip to Belize.

I went on the Carnival cave tubing excursion on my last trip to Belize and thought it was a really neat adventure! We are not planning on going this time around, but would recommend it to anyone who has not had the chance to go. It was a fun time.

Yes, I'm wondering how cold is cold also...LOL!!! :p

My hubby wants us to do this excursion on June 30th (we'll be on the Carnival Glory). I was pretty skeptical after reading about the death of one person last fall. What are the odds the water will be rough? :confused:

Are there any chances of seeing any wildlife while doing this tour? I like to see the different animals that inhabit the areas (but I prefer not to go to the zoo...like to see them in their natural habitats)!!!

Major Tom seems to get high marks from most of you, so I guess we should through them if we do decide on the cave tubing.

I appreciate any and all advice! Happy cruising!!!

Major Tom and his crew are the best! Cannot recommend them highly enough.

We've been cave tubing twice and have not spotted any wildlife. That's not to say they aren't around! Who knows, you may get lucky!!

We went in may a few yrs ago...water level down some so going across some of the rocks was a bit of a chore but this was one of my fav excursions. I do things that I know I cant do somewhere else, that is what makes my trips fun and memorable. I found it to be well worth it and I would do it again. Really one of the best parts was the lunch we had at the shack when we were done, I still can taste that cold beer!.

The water is so clear, the caves are huge and dark...kinda spooky.

I did a private tour, there were six of us.

We stayed tied together by our feet and our guide never left us for a second. My youngest was 10 and he was the first intertube that way the guide was in front and I was behind him. Safety was always in place and tons of fun.

Yep the water can be cold but you will be so in ahh by everything you wont care and when you come out of the caves you will warm up. Take a water camera for some shots coming in and out of the caves. I have a great shot coming out of one.

The worst part of the trip was when we met up with the cruiseship group.

There were tons of them with no direction just everywhere. Our guide quickly buzzed around them and go us back off by ourselves. Your in the jungle...we say a baby tarantula and heard a wild pig squeeling. Awesome

Archived