Cozumel time vs Ship time

dalbinson412

Hi, we will be in Cozumel on 5/1. It says we will arrive at 1pm..is that ship time or Cozumel time? We want to go to a beach, but it closes at 5pm. So, if it is Cozumel time, I feel that I won't have enough time to spend there but if the 1 pm is ship time, it leaves more time? Thanks!

Dana

Cozumel is one hour behind ship (Miami) time....this makes a difference if you are booking something on your own so be careful :) We had many people late returning to the ship at night, though I don't know how many were actually left but the list of names announced were long.

Actually, it depends on which cruise line you're sailing on. NCL and Princess, for example, change ship time to correspond to port time. I believe that RCI and Carnival do not.

So if I booked an excursion at Chankanaab for 1:00, but want to arrive there around 10:30, what time do I need to leave the ship to give myself to get there.

If you are on Carnival you keep your watch set on eastern "ship" time, so according to your watch, your excursion at Chankanaab would be at 2:00. We discovered this last week when we arrived and had a extra hour before our dolphin experience. It was only a 10 minute taxi ride to the park from the pier we docked at, there are many taxis available when you get off the ship.

If the Carnival ship leaves in New Orleans (Central Time) and not Miami, Eastern Time, do we set our watches to central time? Will the ship do the same? So, how do I plan our day at port if it says port day : 10-5 in Cozumel?

:)

You are making this harder than it is. You only need to worry about times at ports when your doing your own excursion. If you do an excursion with your ship they use the ships time which does not change. We are embarking out of Port Canaveral and the ships time is eastern and will not change.

If the Carnival ship leaves in New Orleans (Central Time) and not Miami, Eastern Time, do we set our watches to central time? Will the ship do the same? So, how do I plan our day at port if it says port day : 10-5 in Cozumel?

If your ship in out of NOLA and has central time, then it should match up with Cozumel, who is also on Central.

Now keep in mind for future reference, they switch to daylight savings time later than the US. I think they just switched last week. So there for a few weeks they were 2 hrs behind Eastern.

Central Miss Gulf Coast is central time. Ship departing NOLA is on central time, same as your watch when you left Miss. 10 - 5 in Coz is ship time, same as your watch when you left Miss and is the same as Coz time, also central time zone at this time of year. Hope this helps for those in central time zone.

If you depart from the eastern time zone, ship's time is eastern time zone. When you get to Coz, 10 - 5 is ship time which is eastern time zone. The time in Cozumel will be 9 - 4.

Excursions booked through the ship are always on ship's time. If you book independently, you have to take the above into account. ;)

This applies to Carnival, and some others who do not reset the ship's time to account for time zone changes.

If your ship is going by a different time than Cozumel, be careful using your cell phone to tell time. When we were on Valor (Eastern time) last year, our son's cell phone automatically switched to Central time when we were in Cozumel. It wasn't a problem as far as getting back on board goes since we were going by my watch, but he showed up for dinner an hour late that night.:o

Archived