Using a DiCAPac housing case?

marieadela

Has anyone use one of these with there camera to snorkel with? (unable to put out for reg. housing for my Canon A540.)

I will be in the Cayman Islands in 4 weeks :D and will be going to Cemetery Reef and want to be able to use this waterproof housing case bag with my camera. Want to get better photos then what you get from one time camera's.

I also have a Kodak C330 that uses the same model DiCAPac that I was going to try first to make sure it stays dry. The only problem with the Kodak camera is that it does not have an underwater mode.

What setting would you all suggest I use when I give it a try? Still would like to get some nice photos, might not see that fish again.

Dicapac housings (baggies) work well at shallow snorkeling depths as you plan. Don't exceed the recommended depth though. You are unlikely to do this as a snorkeler. I'd definitely use an underwater mode if available to enrich the reds.

• 2 weeks later...

My camera has a weak-kneed display. In the bag, the black ring blocks the viewfinder, so I must use the display. I couldn't see it in the bright sunshine. I used it for a few minutes and gave up. That's not a problem with the Dicapac, it was caused by my camera. But something for you to consider, if you have a hard time seeing the display on your camera in the daylight, it may not work out well for you.

I used mine for the first time a few weeks back also with a sony cybershot. As for watertightness it worked great. It was a bit of a problem using the cameras controls [no problem snapping pics though]. The main problem was the I just could not see what I was shooting at all. Alot of people had the Olympus underwater cameras on our trip and they also had a hard time seeing through the viewfinder, but I think the overall quality of their pics were better. However, the quality of the pics on mine were acceptable.

Here are a few pics I took both from Grand Cayman and Roatan's barrier reef.

2418789810104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

2899781520104390106S500x500Q85.jpg2915725160104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

2267840580104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived