I really need to know low down on Lamanai/ River excursion - is it an exhausting day?

Scout and Jeff

I would love to take my 7 year old son, but just thinking about the bus ride (how long is it), the river cruise (how long is that) and the ruins, will he be exhausted at the end or will it be worth it? I hope he will sleep on the bus ride back and then gain a second wind for the evening on the ship. Am I being too overly optimistic?

What about a 5 year old daughter, she is begging to go, but I think it will be just too much for her.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

What about Altun Ha? Is that another alternative?

I'm really interested in this information also. We are traveling with a 6 and 2 year old. I had pretty much ruled out any ruins in Belize (was planning on taking a cab to Dzibilchltun when in Progreso.)

In a thread which has been active in the last day or so someone had posted a link to a Belize tour operator's web site. I don't know if there are other options, but this particular one indicated that the minimum age for the excursion with them was 6. Not especially helpful, I know. Hopefully someone else is better informed.

The Lamanai trip stands out as my all-time favorite -- a sentiment I've heard from many. It is an ideal combination of thrill ride, history and nature.

Exhausting? No question. The overall trip takes 9-10 hours:

Tender to Belize City: 20 min.

Load bus: 10 min.

Bus to boat launch: 75 min.

Load boats: 10 min.

Boat ride to Lamanai with pauses for natural things: 75 min.

Lunch at Lamanai: 45 min.

Walking tour: 2.5 hours

Non-stop fast return boat ride: 45 min.

Shopping (and beer) at riverside pavilion:20 min.

Bus to Belize City: 75 min.

Tender to ship: 20 min.

Thinking of my own sons at the age of 7, they would have had a blast. Five might be too young, unless the child is particularly inquisitive about the world. There are plenty of 'cool' things along the way (fast boats, iguanas, jungles with swinging vines, birds that walk on water, stone temples to climb, monkeys in the trees, crocodiles, etc., etc.). Personally, I would not want to tote a 2 year-old any more than I'd want to carry a 35 (or whatever) pound backpack on the trip, but that is a matter of personal preference.

I can pretty much assure that everyone will sleep deeply on the return bus ride. Exhausted and fulfilled...

In case you missed it, I have posted a complete account of the day in another thread here in the Belize forum. It includes a 15 minute video covering the whole experience. Click here for Belize, Lamanai & The New River Safari -- The Complete Story and On-line Video

Bon Voyage,

chesterh

Chesterh sums it up the best of anybody and I would second what he says. We went last August and it was very warm but the tour was very good. The only part that was not good was the 2 yr old that a really nice couple had brought along. Seven would be ok but any younger would be exhausting. There is plenty of walking and enough area for a seven year old not to get bored and still let the parent enjoy theirselves. I know thay would definately like the boat ride and the bus ride does not seem that long. We are doing the tour again in Feb. Thats how much we liked it the first time. Gary o.

Thanks so much for the rundown chesterh.

Still a little undecided. I have until Wednesday to book on line because we are only 12 days away.

Where there lifejackets on the boat? I can't remember if I saw people wearing them in your video?

Do you buy anything there?

S&J - I’m certain I would have noticed a lack of life preservers – I believe they were under the seats. Passengers were not required to wear them during the trip, though I’m sure anyone who wanted to do so would be accommodated.

The extent of our shopping in Belize is summed up in a few sentences from the story:

In the pavilion by the river, local craftspeople had set up their handiwork for sale. A man sold cold local beer for $2 or $3. He could have sold out at $10 a bottle. Kris bought a nice hand carved hardwood bowl marked at $20 and offered for $15. Kris refused to go any lower.

We did not have time to explore the shopping at the pier.

Bon Voyage,

chesterh

Guest Time2gocruzn

I was on the belizecruiseexcursions.com site last night. I was chatting with a lady from that company and she said that her 5 yo daughter loves that trip. I told her I had a 1 yo and a 4 yo and she said "ah, too young". Not sure if she meant that there were age limits on the tour of if this tour was not good for kids as little as mine. HTH!

Archived