Yacht in the canal with Mario?

BJAMINGIRL

• 8 months later...
Has anyone taken the yacht trip that is on my friend mario's web sight?

It looks like it would be much preferable to the cruiseline ferry trip. Anyone done anything like this?

I am considering this for our April 2010 cruise. Did you book it? Thanks, Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

I sent Mario an inquiry on this "Canal by Yacht" excursion. Unfortunately he told me it was not available when we would be in port (early April), but that the Canal by Ferry tour was available. I agree....the yacht sounded like a great tour. Anxious to hear if it is available for you.

I sent Mario an inquiry on this "Canal by Yacht" excursion. Unfortunately he told me it was not available when we would be in port (early April), but that the Canal by Ferry tour was available. I agree....the yacht sounded like a great tour. Anxious to hear if it is available for you.

Hi Terry, I decided to do the combined city tour and Miraflores locks visit with Mario.

• 5 weeks later...

After two emails, Mario finally responded that the Yacht tour (March 13) was not available then either. does anyone have any suggestions re: an alternative company that would have a similar tour? We will be in Colon on the Equinox.

Here is a post I placed in another thread concerning Mario's Canal by Yacht tour. Might give you some insight. I really don't think there are other companies available......

I think you will find that when a cruise ship is in Cristobal/Colon they will monoplize all the Canal tours that go through the locks. I believe that the Canal by Yacht is primarily used for tourist that are staying in Panama as oppossed to cruise ship passengers, (in other words, the yacht is used for smaller groups). If by chance you are able to book a partial Canal transit on your own, (not through the ship) you would be taking a lot of responsibility that you or the tour operator can't control. There can be significant delays on the Canal by Canal traffic congestion, weather, equipment problems, etc. To take this tour you travel a good distance from the ship and you could also include highway traffic delays as well, even though that is less of a problem since they opened the new road. This is really one time that the ship's tour is preferable although more $$.

We decided to book the "Canal by Ferry" tour directly through Celebrity (Equinox 3/29). It was the same price as the ferry tour with Mario; included lunch and water/soda. After thinking about it, we decided for a longer tour it might be a better idea to book directly with the ship.

Archived