Would you be worried?

SJChaput

One thing to keep in mind is they don't let you board right up until sail away time. I think they cut it off before for security reasons. So if your ship ports out at 4pm, you need to be there well before that time. I'm thinking 2pm is cut off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you know if this is sometihng offered by all / most trip insurers or just the one Carnival uses?

We use insuremytrip.com you get to choose from many different quotes . Just look at each one . Travelex is pretty popular. Call and talk to someone if you are sure what all it covers.

Usually they close the gangplank one hour before sail away, however on our most recent Costa Cruise we had folks boarding right up to 4 PM.

Your idea of taking the early flight out on Jet Blue on Sunday sounds the best to me.

I just checked Southwest and they have a direct flight from Providence leaving 8.55 arrive 12.05 $129 one way. Flight # 1605. Sept 6th. Cutting it kinda close in my opinion. However since I live close to Tampa I can tell you it is a short taxi ride from airport to port.

You will be there when you get married. The best move I ever made was delaying our honeymoon for a bit - kicked back and relaxed. We visited with relatives and family who came in for our wedding and many people who made special plans and rearranged their lives to share our day with us. I am with the other posters who say put it off for a week and have a stress free trip - I can't imagine going home from the reception to frantically pack and make sure you have everything and then flying out so early. You never know what can crop up or happen with flights, especially around the Labour Day Weekend. I am sure you will do whatever you are comfortable with no matter what any of us say - go with your heart and enjoy.

I am going to take th:e JetBlue flight out of Boston... It is scheduled to land at 9:40.

I bought trip insurance with trip delay so if "worst case scenario" I miss the boat they will fly me out... I miss two days of the cruise which BLOWS but at least I don't miss it completely.

Hope it doesn't come to that but at least I can have my cruise the day after my wedding like my fiance wants.

We already put a deposit on the Sept. 6th cruise through Carnival... Will they let me roll the deposit to another cruise if we decide to move the honeymoon back?

The Southwest flight worries me because it arrives at noon, so there is very little room for delay.

Has anyone had any experience with Jet Blue? The direct flight leaves at 6:30 and arrives at 9:40... That gives me a lot of room for delay... Plus if it is going to be delayed for a long time there is another (with a layover) that leaves at 7:00 and another at 7:30.. Both getting in at noon...

At least if one is delayed I have a backup.

Haven't flown JetBlue yet but will be flying with them in 2 weeks. I had direct flights booked with them both going and coming home. About a week after I booked they cancelled the direct flight home and now we will be flying from Orlando to NY to Dulles in Washington DC to get home.

My grandson is looking forward to watching Directv on the flight. lol

Bill

You will be there when you get married. The best move I ever made was delaying our honeymoon for a bit - kicked back and relaxed. We visited with relatives and family who came in for our wedding and many people who made special plans and rearranged their lives to share our day with us. I am with the other posters who say put it off for a week and have a stress free trip - I can't imagine going home from the reception to frantically pack and make sure you have everything and then flying out so early. You never know what can crop up or happen with flights, especially around the Labour Day Weekend. I am sure you will do whatever you are comfortable with no matter what any of us say - go with your heart and enjoy.

He already said this was not an option because of his wife's job. I know when I went on the Carnival Pride last October, people were still boarding at 3:30 pm and the ship left at 4, so I think it all depends on how fast they get everyone boarded.

I do think you can change your cruise with Carnival, because when I was talking to my PVP and asked her if I needed to change the date could I and she said yes (You also can with the Early Saver, but you will lose your inital deposit).

Also, keep Carnivals number with you or the ports number and if you find you are running about 1/2 hour late, call them and let them know how far you are from the ship. This happened to my brother and he just called one of them (but I don't remember which one it was, but I think the port) to let them know that they were running a little late and tell them why, but thankfully when he got there they were still boarding.

He already said this was not an option because of his wife's job. I know when I went on the Carnival Pride last October, people were still boarding at 3:30 pm and the ship left at 4, so I think it all depends on how fast they get everyone boarded.

I do think you can change your cruise with Carnival, because when I was talking to my PVP and asked her if I needed to change the date could I and she said yes (You also can with the Early Saver, but you will lose your inital deposit).

After reading all the posts, I think your best bet is the Jet Blue option, because you know the latest you can get to the port will be at least 3 to 3:30 pm.

With the new Homeland security rules 3:30 is no good anymore. If the ship leaves at 4pm you need to be onboard at 2:30pm if you DON"T have your funpass filled out. 3:00pm if you have already filled out the funpass.

Bill

I am going to take th:e JetBlue flight out of Boston... It is scheduled to land at 9:40.

I bought trip insurance with trip delay so if "worst case scenario" I miss the boat they will fly me out... I miss two days of the cruise which BLOWS but at least I don't miss it completely.

Hope it doesn't come to that but at least I can have my cruise the day after my wedding like my fiance wants.

Glad you liked my idea ! I hope all goes well and you have a fabulous wedding and a great cruise!!!!!

I'll side with the people who say go a week later. I live south of Tampa on the West coast of Fl. I hate to say this, but on Labor Day weekend there is ALMOST ALWAYS a hurricane threatening somewhere near Florida.

We're expecting a calmer than normal storm season but that doesn't mean anything if a hurricane is heading right toward you!

It would be awful to have great weather and no delays where you are only to have BAD weather in Tampa!

My options seem to be as follows:

1) Get a ride to a Boston area hotel the night of my wedding, take a 4am shuttle to the airport and get on the 6:35am flight to Tampa that arrives at 9:40am.

This gives me a window of over 6 hours to get on the boat allowing for significant delays while still making it to the ship. I looked up the last few years worth of Sunday flights on Labor Day weekend from Boston to Tampa through Jet Blue and they have all actually left 10-15 minutes EARLY.

What exactly does the insurance cover as far as missing the ship?

The air traffic control people have suggestions on how to avoid flight delays.

*Go on flights before 8am (it is the first flight of the day)

*Go on Saturdays and Sunday. (it is)

*Take nonstop flights (it is)

2) Move the cruise to the following Sunday and fly in the day before.

My soon to be wife (:) I am a man) is dead against moving the trip... She doesn't want to get married and then go back to work on Monday and doesn't have the vacation time to take two weeks off.

I also already put the deposit down on the cruise and am not even sure if they would let us move it.

3) Move the wedding to Friday night.

Not sure if it is possible but if the DJ, priest and hall are available on that day it might be.

What do you think... I *think* the odds of the plane being delayed enough to miss the ship is slim... What say you?

I say, you'll be fine. :) Please keep in mind, my advice is not very popular in here. ha ha

Great now you can relax and try to enjoy the rest of your planning :)

I think you have made the correct call.

I looked for flights the night before and have been unsuccessful.

It does worry me that I could miss the ship...

Do you really think that the 129 each way is a good deal? Do you think I am likely to find better?

I wish there was a direct flight leaving at 6am.

You must be kidding right? $129 each way is a steal. How cheap are you use to flying. I live in Cincinnati and I can never find tickets that cheap.

Personally I wouldn't chance it - but sounds like you have no choice? Are there any other cruises that might fit your schedule which don't require flying in on the day of the cruise - anything could happen! (and do make sure to take out some travel insurance!)

The above info is very good advice. Remember it is hurricane season. There is always beautiful Cape Cod should your honeymoon be distrupted due to weather related flight issues. Remember it may be beautiful in RI but if there is a hurricaine blowing thru Florida, you are not getting there. We got married at Christmas time and opted for a B & B New England road trip and a cruise the following spring.

You must be kidding right? $129 each way is a steal. How cheap are you use to flying. I live in Cincinnati and I can never find tickets that cheap.

I can get flights on SW from Providence for 70 each way sometimes..Yesterday Ding had 99$ each way, which is more than I usually pay

My options seem to be as follows:

1) Get a ride to a Boston area hotel the night of my wedding, take a 4am shuttle to the airport and get on the 6:35am flight to Tampa that arrives at 9:40am.

This gives me a window of over 6 hours to get on the boat allowing for significant delays while still making it to the ship. I looked up the last few years worth of Sunday flights on Labor Day weekend from Boston to Tampa through Jet Blue and they have all actually left 10-15 minutes EARLY.

What exactly does the insurance cover as far as missing the ship?

The air traffic control people have suggestions on how to avoid flight delays.

*Go on flights before 8am (it is the first flight of the day)

*Go on Saturdays and Sunday. (it is)

*Take nonstop flights (it is)

2) Move the cruise to the following Sunday and fly in the day before.

My soon to be wife (:) I am a man) is dead against moving the trip... She doesn't want to get married and then go back to work on Monday and doesn't have the vacation time to take two weeks off.

I also already put the deposit down on the cruise and am not even sure if they would let us move it.

3) Move the wedding to Friday night.

Not sure if it is possible but if the DJ, priest and hall are available on that day it might be.

What do you think... I *think* the odds of the plane being delayed enough to miss the ship is slim... What say you?

I would consider the Friday night thing...if that is not an issue and is doable. Saturday's are nice but you are concerned, so maybe that is the right move for you.

Also, if you move the cruise back a week, could the bride just take Monday off at least in order to have a long weekend?

Now here is a sob story for you......please just laugh it off though.....during hurricaine Gloria in 1985 a couple was scheduled to be married on Saturday on Long Island. All power was lost at the wedding venue with no relief in sight (The CEO of LILCO at the time caught hell for not returning from his European trip) so the priest married the couple in his church with just immediate family by candelight the couple went off to Hawaii for 2 weeks and when they returned they rescheduled the reception I think at the same venue! There is always a solution.

Their flights are awesome I am just prefer smaller airports, nothing at all against JB cause I wish they flew out of MHT or PVD because I would use them first over SWA

You and me, both., We live only 25 minutes from MHT. We love Jet Blue and wish we could get it here. I don't really mind driving to Logan, but it's so much easier to get a ride to MHT than to BOS.

To SJChaput...Jet Blue is a very good airline. We find the seats really comfy, and each seat has its own TV in the headrest in front of it. (Make sure you bring headphones.) The service has been great. As for delays, if you book the first flight of the day, chances are that you should get in on time, barring weather conditions. If something freaky happens, you still have plenty of time to get to your port city.

Whatever you do...DO NOT go with Carnival air. You will probably pay way more than booking yourself, you will be at their mercy as to flight times and layovers, and there is no guarantee that the ship will be held for you. (I read this website way too much and have recently read some horror stories.)

Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon. BTW, we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary this Labor Day weekend.

Archived