Halifax Advice (Renting Car)

• Administrators

Hi, everyone!

I will be on a Carnival cruise in June which has a day in Halifax as a port call. I'm a huge Titanic buff, and am well aware of the connection between Halifax and the Titanic, so seeing the Fairview Cemetary and the Maritime Museum are big priorities. I'd also love to visit Peggy's Cove, since I love to take photos. Based on that and the price of the excursions (over $100 for a visit to the museum and cemetary? :eek:), I figured renting a car is the way to go on that day.

Where I'm having some trouble is figuring out a route/directions to the places I want to visit. I know the Museum is walking distance from the cruise ship dock, and I did reserve my car at the Alamo desk at the Westin Nova Scotia, which is close by. I printed Mapquest directions to Peggy's Cove. The closest I could find for an address to Fairview was "the corner of Connaught and Windsor," so I'm still working on that one.

I wondered if maybe anybody local could give a bit more specific directions, or a link to a magic site like "a day in Halifax for a Titanic buff?" Thanks for any help, and if I've omitted critical info, let me know?

Fairview is just an area within the city of Halifax. You can drive from your hotel to there within less than 15 minutes. The hotel can give you a map and show you how to get there, but it's a pretty simple drive. If you go onto map quest and type in Halifax then go to city view you'll see Quinpool road which runs east to west and then Connaught that runs from north to south. Drive down Quinpool then make a right onto Connaught and take this about 4 min's and you'll reach Windsor st. Hope this helps.

• Administrators
Fairview is just an area within the city of Halifax. You can drive from your hotel to there within less than 15 minutes. The hotel can give you a map and show you how to get there, but it's a pretty simple drive. If you go onto map quest and type in Halifax then go to city view you'll see Quinpool road which runs east to west and then Connaught that runs from north to south. Drive down Quinpool then make a right onto Connaught and take this about 4 min's and you'll reach Windsor st. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. :) I've been doing more research and am more convinced than ever that a car rental is the way to go here -- appreciate the more precise directions with some cross streets!

Hi, everyone!

I will be on a Carnival cruise in June which has a day in Halifax as a port call. I'm a huge Titanic buff, and am well aware of the connection between Halifax and the Titanic, so seeing the Fairview Cemetary and the Maritime Museum are big priorities. I'd also love to visit Peggy's Cove, since I love to take photos. Based on that and the price of the excursions (over $100 for a visit to the museum and cemetary? :eek:), I figured renting a car is the way to go on that day.

Where I'm having some trouble is figuring out a route/directions to the places I want to visit. I know the Museum is walking distance from the cruise ship dock, and I did reserve my car at the Alamo desk at the Westin Nova Scotia, which is close by. I printed Mapquest directions to Peggy's Cove. The closest I could find for an address to Fairview was "the corner of Connaught and Windsor," so I'm still working on that one.

I wondered if maybe anybody local could give a bit more specific directions, or a link to a magic site like "a day in Halifax for a Titanic buff?" Thanks for any help, and if I've omitted critical info, let me know?

If you check on a google map you will see that the Fairview Cemetery is indeed on the corner of Connaught and Windsor.

The Westin Hotel is just a few minutes walk from the pier. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, where the Titanic exhibit is located, is right on the waterfront- at most a 15 minute walk from the ship. You walk right by the rear of the Westin to get to it. Since parking in downtown Halifax is a nightmare, you may want to consider walking up to the museum and seeing it, and then walking back to pick up you car.

If you look at the Google map and spot Georges Island at the entrance to Halifax Harbour, the area where you dock is along Terminal Road just to the left of the island across the water. You will note it says "Pier 21" along the road. The Westin Hotel is the building between Terminal Road and Cornwallis Park. If you follow Lower Water Street up from Terminal Road on the map you will see the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic noted.

Here is a link to the museum.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

Check out your Mapquest directions against the google satellite maps as I find that Mapquest directions can be inaccurate in the Maritimes-----not always, but they can get interesting. Out of curiosity I tried to get directions from the city limits to my house and they routed me through a dog walking path in the woods.

You may also want to consider doing Peggy's Cove first, before the crowds get there and then the cemetery, then return your car and walk up to the museum. Then you can linger without worrying about getting back to the ship in time. Don't waste time fighting the crowds to eat at the restaurant in Peggy's Cove as there are plenty of places to eat on the waterfront in Halifax. You can easily do Peggy's Cove and get back to Halifax for lunch.

Just a few kilometers beyond Peggys Cove is the memorial to Swissair Flight 111. Drive slowly as there is just a small sign and small parking area and you could miss it. It is quite moving, and there is a lovely view across the water to Peggy's Cove. In Peggy's Cove there is a large parking lot behind the restaurant/gift shop beside the lighthouse.

If there is time, when you head back to the ship, Pier 21 is just steps away from where you board and it is a well done immigration museum.

• Administrators
If you check on a google map you will see that the Fairview Cemetery is indeed on the corner of Connaught and Windsor.

The Westin Hotel is just a few minutes walk from the pier. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, where the Titanic exhibit is located, is right on the waterfront- at most a 15 minute walk from the ship. You walk right by the rear of the Westin to get to it. Since parking in downtown Halifax is a nightmare, you may want to consider walking up to the museum and seeing it, and then walking back to pick up you car.

If you look at the Google map and spot Georges Island at the entrance to Halifax Harbour, the area where you dock is along Terminal Road just to the left of the island across the water. You will note it says "Pier 21" along the road. The Westin Hotel is the building between Terminal Road and Cornwallis Park. If you follow Lower Water Street up from Terminal Road on the map you will see the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic noted.

Here is a link to the museum.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

Check out your Mapquest directions against the google satellite maps as I find that Mapquest directions can be inaccurate in the Maritimes-----not always, but they can get interesting. Out of curiosity I tried to get directions from the city limits to my house and they routed me through a dog walking path in the woods.

You may also want to consider doing Peggy's Cove first, before the crowds get there and then the cemetery, then return your car and walk up to the museum. Then you can linger without worrying about getting back to the ship in time. Don't waste time fighting the crowds to eat at the restaurant in Peggy's Cove as there are plenty of places to eat on the waterfront in Halifax. You can easily do Peggy's Cove and get back to Halifax for lunch.

Just a few kilometers beyond Peggys Cove is the memorial to Swissair Flight 111. Drive slowly as there is just a small sign and small parking area and you could miss it. It is quite moving, and there is a lovely view across the water to Peggy's Cove. In Peggy's Cove there is a large parking lot behind the restaurant/gift shop beside the lighthouse.

If there is time, when you head back to the ship, Pier 21 is just steps away from where you board and it is a well done immigration museum.

Great ideas! Thank you so much for the additional input, and the suggestions for a logical sequence. I appreciate the extra information about the Swissair memorial, and lunch, too. Thanks!

Archived