Dawn from NYC? Questions about the port

sunryz710

Leaving on the dawn on sun.10th. Does anyone know if both ramps are noiw open or is the one past the drop off area still closed for construction? It was mentioned earlier on this thread that the second ramp was closed and if you missed the first ramp you would have to go back around and get in line again. We have gone out of there twice before and always used the ramp at the end of the drop-off area, where is the other ramp located,I don't remember seeing it. When you turn left at the light and go accros the ped. crossing, how soon does the 1st. ramp come upon you? Thanks in advance for your help

As soon as you turn left at the light and cross the ped. crossing, you'll see the parking sign. It's almost immediate. Pay, and then park on the roof. Porters are up there to help you.

We leave the day you return. Maybe we'll take your parking spot!!!

Enjoy!

Okay you have convinced me! or eased my fears anyway.. I pictured having to make my way through the busy streets of Manhattan.

If I understand correctly, it is right off a highway.. no real NY Manhattan city traffic to worry about?

The Henry Hudson ends right at the pier ramp--you are never on a New York street. You can go the Merritt or the Saw Mill River Parkway to the Henry Hudson--really easy. The other poster is correct about the construction--as you go up the ramp, turn right to the roof parking--clearly marked--the longshoremen are up there to take your bags, as you can not drive to the front doot at this time unless you want to go back out to the street and make a circle--avoid this!!! Have a great cruise.

As soon as you turn left at the light and cross the ped. crossing, you'll see the parking sign. It's almost immediate. Pay, and then park on the roof. Porters are up there to help you.

We leave the day you return. Maybe we'll take your parking spot!!!

Enjoy!

Not to worry. They have people to direct you. It's not bad at all.:)

I guess im on the other end of the spectrum from everybody else on this thread. I have sailed out of NY 3 times in the past 7 or 8 years and everytime was worse than the previous hassle wise. Having sailed out of Bayonne, Boston and Miami as well, i can honestly say that the NY cruise terminal is just too far beyond its sell by date and that makes for alot of hassle when there is any more than 2 ships in.

I would advise to check how many ships are going to be in port that day and plan accordingly, the last time i was there we had 5 ships in port, it was insanely ridiculous. Terminals deigned for ships far smaller than the average sized cruise ship today, then take into account passengers both embarking and debarking and you can have a real madhouse in a very small space.

This is of course just my opinion and experience, but i really do think it would be wise to know how many ships are in port with you just so your a bit prepared for the what if's.

Happy Cruising!

I guess im on the other end of the spectrum from everybody else on this thread. I have sailed out of NY 3 times in the past 7 or 8 years and everytime was worse than the previous hassle wise. Having sailed out of Bayonne, Boston and Miami as well, i can honestly say that the NY cruise terminal is just too far beyond its sell by date and that makes for alot of hassle when there is any more than 2 ships in.

I would advise to check how many ships are going to be in port that day and plan accordingly, the last time i was there we had 5 ships in port, it was insanely ridiculous. Terminals deigned for ships far smaller than the average sized cruise ship today, then take into account passengers both embarking and debarking and you can have a real madhouse in a very small space.

This is of course just my opinion and experience, but i really do think it would be wise to know how many ships are in port with you just so your a bit prepared for the what if's.

Happy Cruising!

The Port is being downsized. The current renovation is scheduled to leave only 3 berths left. One of the piers has been totally redone(88), the others are scheduled to be completed within the next few years. With both Bayonne and Brooklyn open its now rare to have more than 3 ships in at any time. If you look at the schedule at http://www.nycruise.com/sched_2009.html# you will see how many ships are scheduled on the day you are leaving. More than two is pretty rare.

there are in fact no three's in Manhattan until September 2009. There is only once where there are four all year long(in October).

this shows both the Brooklyn in orange and Manhattan is Black

The Port is being downsized. The current renovation is scheduled to leave only 3 berths left. One of the piers has been totally redone(88), the others are scheduled to be completed within the next few years. With both Bayonne and Brooklyn open its now rare to have more than 3 ships in at any time. If you look at the schedule at http://www.nycruise.com/sched_2009.html# you will see how many ships are scheduled on the day you are leaving. More than two is pretty rare.

there are in fact no three's in Manhattan until September 2009. There is only once where there are four all year long(in October).

this shows both the Brooklyn in orange and Manhattan is Black

Well, that's definitely good to hear. As i had said, my last time at the Manhattan piers was disembarking the Dawn in '06. Together with us were the Norwegian Spirit, QM2, Carnival Legend and Carnival Victory. Was not a nice situation trying to get outta there. All the stress that had left my body on the Dawn all week jumped right back on :p

Glad to know they are aware of it's limitations and are doing something about it.

Happy Cruising!

My wife and I live on Long Island. First Crusie from Manhatten. Called the local Taxi and it was $150 one way. Called a Limo Service and got $117 plus $10 and the gratuity BOTH ways. I think a car service is MUCH cheaper.

HAVE FUN ! !

Well, that's definitely good to hear. As i had said, my last time at the Manhattan piers was disembarking the Dawn in '06. Together with us were the Norwegian Spirit, QM2, Carnival Legend and Carnival Victory. Was not a nice situation trying to get outta there. All the stress that had left my body on the Dawn all week jumped right back on :p

Glad to know they are aware of it's limitations and are doing something about it.

Happy Cruising!

the QM2 almost always now leaves from Brooklyn.(it arrived once in Bayonne-Port Liberty- and then left from Brooklyn- no passengers were allowed to travel on it from Bayonne to Brooklyn-its a PVSA violation!) The CG won't renew its exemption to sit out in the harbor....its too big for the current Manhattan piers and there are NO plans to extend them(its a long story but even if they wanted to they would have a real hard time)

Thanks Studebaker. No problem I'll save it for you. Look for a gray Liberty. (fat chance). My first car was a studebaker,so I like your handle. You have a good cruise to. (they all a good.)

Archived